Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 05-28-2019, 07:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 183
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 669 Times in 444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atay87 View Post
From a post by Dave Dunipace on the PDGA forums back in 2008:
Very nice. Thanks for posting!

I keep forgetting that there is a rim limit at all, since it seems like discs are just getting faster. In fact, there is a limit, and as Dave so graciously states, the PDGA's chosen restriction was more suitable than a smaller limit that he (and likely others) preferred: "Apparently, the PDGA picked a better limit than I did." Good thing Dave ran with it. Just imagine a world without the Destroyer! Financially, maybe he should have had the insight to recommend high speed drivers from the get-go.

In the same breath: "I was surprised by the popularity of the latest additions to our line. I did not think a large percentage of players would be able to throw the Destroyer, XCaliber, and Boss." It's funny how he could be so right about the utility, and yet so wrong about the popularity.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 05-28-2019, 07:37 PM

Niced 19 Times in 11 Posts

Most of the people I see throwing Destroyers have no business doing so.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-29-2019, 07:08 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 115
Niced 175 Times in 98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knivvves View Post
Is it true that there's more viewership for ball golf style courses? And if so, why?
Two thoughts-
1.) I suspect that that style course is easier to film than a heavily wooded course, and I think the point to point kind of shots translate to the average viewer. How many times have you heard a commentator say "the video doesn't do it justice" in reference to a line or elevation change on a wooded course?
2.) People like a dog and pony show. I include myself when I say that we enjoy watching these guys throw 500+ feet out in the open. If you haven't played the course being filmed, you likely won't grasp the challenge of a wooded course.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,612 Times in 1,504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddyboots View Post
Two thoughts-
1.) I suspect that that style course is easier to film than a heavily wooded course, and I think the point to point kind of shots translate to the average viewer. How many times have you heard a commentator say "the video doesn't do it justice" in reference to a line or elevation change on a wooded course?
2.) People like a dog and pony show. I include myself when I say that we enjoy watching these guys throw 500+ feet out in the open. If you haven't played the course being filmed, you likely won't grasp the challenge of a wooded course.
Many of the media folks dispute your first point. They prefer to film in the woods. Sure the sight lines aren't as great, but given the limited options on a given hole, camera operators can more easily chose where to stand to have the best views to film from. In the open, the players can go in so many different directions, it's harder to a) choose a spot to get the best angle and b) track the disc out of the player's hand (speaking primarily from the perspective of catch cam).

While I'm not one who enjoys watching 500+ drives, at least not over and over again, I do agree with the idea that if you haven't played the course being filmed, you can sometimes struggle to grasp the challenge of it. But that applies to all courses, not just wooded ones. I enjoy watching USDGC more than I do the Memorial (two events that are described as open and "boring" by a lot of people) in part because I've played a couple dozen rounds at Winthrop and I've never been to Fountain Hills. I get more out of watching Idlewild or Maple Hill more than BSF or Masters Cup because I've played those wooded courses but never been to Milo or Dela, though I enjoy watching all of them more than I do something like the San Francisco or Utah Open.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:08 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 35.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 70 Times in 41 Posts

Keep the speed and the baskets but limit each player to 14 discs.

Old 05-29-2019, 10:19 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 551 Times in 295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
But why? More discs = more sales = healthier sport

The way I describe a disc golf bag is by telling my ball golfing buddies to imagine you could bag each iron to draw, fade, or go straight. So for each single iron they would bag, I bag 3 discs. That is why I need 22 discs in my bag. I don't see how limiting that would make the game any better.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:15 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,157 Times in 1,587 Posts

Quote:
I like your idea conceptually, but the problem is that it would be like telling ball golfers they can only bring 14 golf balls to the course as opposed to 14 golf clubs (the ball golf limit as it currently stands). Discs gets thrown and discs get lost, so a limit on the number of discs would do more harm than good.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:01 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 35.8
Niced 70 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I like your idea conceptually, but the problem is that it would be like telling ball golfers they can only bring 14 golf balls to the course as opposed to 14 golf clubs (the ball golf limit as it currently stands). Discs gets thrown and discs get lost, so a limit on the number of discs would do more harm than good.
If a golfer has a club break or it becomes unplayable they are allowed to replace that club during a round. Same thing would be in effect for lost discs.

As a skilled ball golfer the idea of having a different club for every type of shot would take away most of the fun of ball golf. I think it does the same for disc golf.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 551 Times in 295 Posts

Quote:
As a skilled ball golfer the idea of having a different club for every type of shot would take away most of the fun of ball golf. I think it does the same for disc golf.
I completely disagree. One of the main differences between ball and disc golf is that ball golf focuses on where the ball lands, where disc golf focuses on where the disc flies. We rely on discs to navigate a fully 3 dimensional fairway, where we need to turn the disc left, right, up, down, and sometimes more than one way over the course of a single fairway. We need the varying disc stabilities because we have a more diverse array of shots.

The point of golf is to hit the ball the exact same way every time with the club that goes the correct distance. The point of disc golf is to throw in the specific way with the specific disc needed to navigate a fairway.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.8
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Yes, but then you place a different kind of strategizing on the player. If I throw over that lake I might lose a disc, meh; becomes, if I throw over that lake I might lose a disc, yikes!