Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 05-29-2019, 12:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
I completely disagree. One of the main differences between ball and disc golf is that ball golf focuses on where the ball lands, where disc golf focuses on where the disc flies. We rely on discs to navigate a fully 3 dimensional fairway, where we need to turn the disc left, right, up, down, and sometimes more than one way over the course of a single fairway. We need the varying disc stabilities because we have a more diverse array of shots.

The point of golf is to hit the ball the exact same way every time with the club that goes the correct distance. The point of disc golf is to throw in the specific way with the specific disc needed to navigate a fairway.
This is true, but I've seen to many "good" players reduce the need of left, right, center to I'm gonna throw like this and get that out come to think it's a huge problem.

I suspect there are discs that go out during tournaments that simply act to keep the bag warm.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2019, 12:26 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 115
Niced 175 Times in 98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Many of the media folks dispute your first point. They prefer to film in the woods. Sure the sight lines aren't as great, but given the limited options on a given hole, camera operators can more easily chose where to stand to have the best views to film from. In the open, the players can go in so many different directions, it's harder to a) choose a spot to get the best angle and b) track the disc out of the player's hand (speaking primarily from the perspective of catch cam).

While I'm not one who enjoys watching 500+ drives, at least not over and over again, I do agree with the idea that if you haven't played the course being filmed, you can sometimes struggle to grasp the challenge of it. But that applies to all courses, not just wooded ones. I enjoy watching USDGC more than I do the Memorial (two events that are described as open and "boring" by a lot of people) in part because I've played a couple dozen rounds at Winthrop and I've never been to Fountain Hills. I get more out of watching Idlewild or Maple Hill more than BSF or Masters Cup because I've played those wooded courses but never been to Milo or Dela, though I enjoy watching all of them more than I do something like the San Francisco or Utah Open.
I am not a media folk, but those who I have spoken to, Mcfly, TeeTime, and some others, commented on the difficulty of filming on wooded courses and those with elevation. Some courses (perhaps a minority) are being installed/designed with media access in mind. I suspect that either style of course has its' own challenge(s), if I am being honest. Geography (type of woods) may also enter into it.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:41 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 35.8
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 70 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
I completely disagree. One of the main differences between ball and disc golf is that ball golf focuses on where the ball lands, where disc golf focuses on where the disc flies. We rely on discs to navigate a fully 3 dimensional fairway, where we need to turn the disc left, right, up, down, and sometimes more than one way over the course of a single fairway. We need the varying disc stabilities because we have a more diverse array of shots.

The point of golf is to hit the ball the exact same way every time with the club that goes the correct distance. The point of disc golf is to throw in the specific way with the specific disc needed to navigate a fairway.
Balls don't fly thru the air as well? You obviously have no idea about ball golf. The idea is not to hit the ball the exact same way every time. you have to turn it left and right, flight it up and down, get it to sit softly or release upon landing, reduce and increase spin to get it fly properly into and downwind, and you also have to factor in the lie. Ankle high grass is a bitch in ball golf, where it has almost zero effect in disc golf.

When you have a disc for every shot than you simply are making the same throw and letting the disc do all the work for you. Where's the skill in that, except for developing that one throw? To get a similar feel in disc golf as in ball golf, you would only be able to use a 0,0 disc and all turn, fade, height, glide would be all manufactured by the player. 14 discs is more than enough for any disc golfer. I think the multiple disc thing is actually a deterrent to get people involved in the sport. They show up at a club and get the feeling that to be an accepted player they need to own and carry a gazillion disc.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-29-2019, 01:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 551 Times in 295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
Balls don't fly thru the air as well?
I mean, no. Not like a disc. Have you ever played disc golf? Or are you maybe from Texas or some other fake disc golf state without trees? Honestly I can’t even imagine making the statements you made in your post. Sub 800 rated like your disc game.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-29-2019, 02:05 PM
Par Member

Niced 128 Times in 65 Posts

Quote:
Keep the speed and the baskets but limit each player to 14 discs.

I appreciate the idea of a limited selection but it would quickly become unrealistic when competing on courses that have a lot of water or fences.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,609 Times in 1,503 Posts

I've yet to hear a compelling argument for limiting the number of discs players can carry that isn't rooted in "ball golf does it". I mean, why else is 14 the number most commonly suggested? That's not a number arrived at easily when counting up types of discs needed in a given round.

If disc selection more closely resembled club selection, I could see the point. Ball golfers generally carry one putter, a selection of wedges and irons, and a couple woods/drivers. While manufacturers may vary, the general setup from bag to bag is fairly consistent. Maybe one guy eschews a 2-iron for an extra wood or a skips out on carrying a pitching wedge because his 9-iron fits the bill, but by and large you can guess what you'll find in any given bag of clubs at a tournament. No two disc bag setups are alike. One guy I golf with has two putters, one mid, and about 10 different driver molds (with a back up for one or two of them) no matter what the course. I carry seven putters (four molds), four mids, and between four and seven drivers depending on the course. What will a disc limit change about the way we each play that makes the game more compelling or more competitive?

Niced: (3)
Old 05-29-2019, 02:16 PM
Par Member

Niced 128 Times in 65 Posts

I don’t think you can really compare it to ball golf. Ball golfers may be limited club wise but they don’t lose clubs and they aren’t limited to the number of balls they can carry, as far as I know.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.4
Courses Played: 247
Niced 1,631 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Balls don't fly thru the air as well? You obviously have no idea about ball golf. The idea is not to hit the ball the exact same way every time. you have to turn it left and right, flight it up and down, get it to sit softly or release upon landing, reduce and increase spin to get it fly properly into and downwind, and you also have to factor in the lie. Ankle high grass is a bitch in ball golf, where it has almost zero effect in disc golf.

When you have a disc for every shot than you simply are making the same throw and letting the disc do all the work for you. Where's the skill in that, except for developing that one throw? To get a similar feel in disc golf as in ball golf, you would only be able to use a 0,0 disc and all turn, fade, height, glide would be all manufactured by the player. 14 discs is more than enough for any disc golfer. I think the multiple disc thing is actually a deterrent to get people involved in the sport. They show up at a club and get the feeling that to be an accepted player they need to own and carry a gazillion disc.
I play ball golf and flighting the ball up and down, getting it to sit or release can be club choice, not changes in the swing.

I disagree that variety in disc choices is deterring growth. I think this is antidotal at best, without any substantial evidence. I play plenty of leagues and tournaments, I have never found prejudging based on bag size, nor any players feeling unwanted due to minimalistic disc choices.

This is a solution to fix something that is not broken. Disc golf is not golf, and I do not want it to be. Making rules just to make it more like golf is an awful idea.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-29-2019, 02:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 135
Niced 976 Times in 521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey B.O.B. View Post
I don’t think you can really compare it to ball golf. Ball golfers may be limited club wise but they don’t lose clubs and they aren’t limited to the number of balls they can carry, as far as I know.
True, but how often does someone lose multiple discs? Any pro should be able to handle losing 1 or 2 in a round without collapsing. And wouldn't that be interesting to watch? Adds a whole new risk to risk/reward holes. And adds real strategy when putting a bag together instead of just "bring everything".

Old 05-29-2019, 02:54 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 35.8
Niced 70 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
I've yet to hear a compelling argument for limiting the number of discs players can carry that isn't rooted in "ball golf does it". I mean, why else is 14 the number most commonly suggested? That's not a number arrived at easily when counting up types of discs needed in a given round.

If disc selection more closely resembled club selection, I could see the point. Ball golfers generally carry one putter, a selection of wedges and irons, and a couple woods/drivers. While manufacturers may vary, the general setup from bag to bag is fairly consistent. Maybe one guy eschews a 2-iron for an extra wood or a skips out on carrying a pitching wedge because his 9-iron fits the bill, but by and large you can guess what you'll find in any given bag of clubs at a tournament. No two disc bag setups are alike. One guy I golf with has two putters, one mid, and about 10 different driver molds (with a back up for one or two of them) no matter what the course. I carry seven putters (four molds), four mids, and between four and seven drivers depending on the course. What will a disc limit change about the way we each play that makes the game more compelling or more competitive?
Why does ball golf do it? To make players play with more skill and creativity. If you all of a sudden you had to cut down to 3 putters you would be forced to use more improvisation for your upshots. Golf clubs now are adjustable. You can literally change the flight characteristics of your driver with every swing. But that is illegal during a round so that the players with the most skill and ability to adapt to different conditions ends up at the top of leader board. not the player who is able to best adjust his clubs for each shot. Disc golf should be about much more than just swapping discs to generate one type of shot or another. Even with only 14 discs you should be able to come up with almost all needed throws. I use 14 discs because that is what my carry bag holds. I do think that is probably too many though. 10 would be a more meaningful #. Golfers have to choose which clubs they bring before every event, so should disc golfers.