Old 07-09-2019, 11:32 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 569 Times in 263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl scott View Post
computing... dangit I'm trying to figure out how to pass up this offer. This is a whirlwhind of a trip... I'll try to put some thought into it tomorrow.

Today was:

9 hrs drive to Iron Hill
1.5 hr round (hustled)
1 hr drive to Stafford Woods
1 hr round (hustled)

Planning on starting early and getting CT and RI in easily and up to Maple Hill area to stay the night to be ready at sunrise for the long day.

No pressure at all, just putting it out there! Lots to do around here though, and when you leave if you go through Keene on your way to ME and play Otter Brook, you will not be disappointed! Dare I say their trees are as good if not better than Brewster Ridge?!? Certainly harder! It is a must-play course for any tree golfer, that much Im sure of!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2019, 08:09 AM
Independent Operator*

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 518
Niced 687 Times in 244 Posts

Quote:
computing... dangit I'm trying to figure out how to pass up this offer. This is a whirlwhind of a trip... I'll try to put some thought into it tomorrow.

Today was:

9 hrs drive to Iron Hill
1.5 hr round (hustled)
1 hr drive to Stafford Woods
1 hr round (hustled)

Planning on starting early and getting CT and RI in easily and up to Maple Hill area to stay the night to be ready at sunrise for the long day.

If you do have any flexibility, you may find it easier to go to Sabattus on Thursday (tomorrow) and save Vermont for Friday. Sabattus is "only" 3 hours from Leicester and a much easier drive.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:57 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 106
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 201 Times in 111 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the BBQ tip! I'll be stopping in if at all possible...
BT's is a must stop!!
Old 07-10-2019, 10:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 198
Niced 14 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discette View Post
If you do have any flexibility, you may find it easier to go to Sabattus on Thursday (tomorrow) and save Vermont for Friday. Sabattus is "only" 3 hours from Leicester and a much easier drive.
Not a whole lot of room for adjustment in my last minute plans. Full days from sunup to sundown every day lol.

I did manage to play Wickham, Willow Valley, and Maple Hill Golds today!

Wickham was a great course, Willow was incredibly fun and one of the most beautiful places I've played, and Maple Hill is right up there with the best courses I've ever played. I can't emphasize how impressed I was with Maple Hill. It lived up to my expectations even after watching videos 10 years ago and always wanting to play there. I can't wait to go back one day when I have more time!

Tomorrow will be driving 4 hrs to Smugglers to play around noon, then driving to Sabattus to play, then staying in Portland. Looking forward to the drive almost as much as the golf.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiac View Post
BT's is a must stop!!
Unfortunately it was closed by the time I finished my round at Maple Hill and checked into my hotel. It's going on my list of things to do next time I'm here.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Got home from my trip late last night!

Maple Hill was the highlight. Been wanting to play there for a decade and finally got to check it off. Incredibly well done navigation and the gold course is truly tough.

Fox Run at Smuggler's Notch was a really amazing place and a well done course as well as a fun round.

Salmon Falls was a special round and I'm glad I played it last. Very quiet and serene and just a great place to be.

Sabattus was the disappointment of the trip. Wasn't impressed by the course. Navigation was tough. Hole signage was independent of reality. It's the only time on the trip I thought to myself "I drove all the way here for this?"

Willow Valley was fantastic, Wickham Park was big, Iron Hill was tough and long but not as scary as I'd imagined it would be, and Stafford Woods was a good time.

I ate a dozen oysters in Baltimore, several lobsters in Portland, a couple of Philly Cheesesteaks on the way through Philadelphia, enjoyed mostly sunny weather, paid a lot of tolls, got stuck in Manhattan and DC traffic going both ways, saw a deer, a porcupine, a rather large eagle, a skunk, a black snake, several frogs hiding near where my disc landed, dealt with 3 blisters including one on my throwing hand, and overall just had a total blast. I did buy some VT IPA's that I finished off last night when I got home.

I'm not sure I'll ever have quite the opportunity to just hit the road and go somewhere new like that and just play for a week. Lots of memories and I'm glad I got to go. Thanks to anyone who helps make these courses a reality.

5 days. 2455 miles traveled across 13 states. 8 new states played (46 total now). No lost discs (2 thrown in the water but at the edge both times).

I'd do it all again.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:15 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 153
Niced 56 Times in 23 Posts

Rebooting/hijacking this thread to see how the trip went and any other feedback the forum has. I am in Raleigh, NC and haven't played any northeastern states. I have a potential business trip next year (you can't start DG planning too early) in New Haven, CT. Options...

Drive there and hit any of the following...
Iron Hill (DE #1)
Stafford Woods (NJ #1)
Thompson Park (NJ #3)
Leonard Park (NY #17)
Cranbury Park (CT #2)
Veteran's Memorial Park (CT #5)

Drive back and hit any of the following...
Greystone Woods (NJ #2)
Jordan Creek (PA #7)
Little Lehigh Parkway (PA #22)
South Hills (PA #12)
Pinchot State Park (PA #10)
Seneca Creek State Park (MD #1)

These two dream Virginia stops can be added to either leg:
Hawk Hollow (VA #1)
The Blockhouse (VA #4, #7, #12)

OR a slightly more feasible option is to fly to Boston and drive to New Haven to hit...
Maple Hill (MA #1)
Pyramids (MA#4)
501 Disc Golf (two reviews away from being MA #1 or #2)
Wickham Park (CT #1)

Maybe I'll just take a month off for this trip and play all of 'em.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:18 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 153
Niced 56 Times in 23 Posts

Would love to hear anyone's thoughts on the above wish list -- any you'd skip, any you'd add, any way of prioritizing.

Thanks!
Old 07-19-2019, 03:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Iron Hill (DE #1) - Course is great and well worth your stop

Stafford Woods (NJ #1) - Good course but don't miss other better ones for this one

Seneca Creek State Park (MD #1) - On my list of favorites but haven't played there in years

Hawk Hollow (VA #1)
- Both places worthy of stopping for sure

Maple Hill (MA #1) - Yes.

Wickham Park (CT #1) - Great course but again not worth missing other better courses for

Maybe I'll just take a month off for this trip and play all of 'em. Well duh... here is your answer!

Niced: (1)

Old 07-19-2019, 04:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,962 Times in 825 Posts

Quote:

Hawk Hollow (VA #1)
- Both places worthy of stopping for sure

Hawk Hollow will only be playable sporadically going forward- Spring and September for the most part.

Lake Marshall is like a gigantic bastard child of Hawk Hollow, Iron Hill and Selah Ranch- add the courses there.

Niced: (1)