Old 08-07-2019, 02:06 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 103 Times in 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post

That being said, the flightpath and ground play of an underpowered, glidey, slightly flippy warp speed driver can open up some low risk plays in the woods and from trouble. Say I'm throwing out of a curvy hallway from a wooded teepad into an open field - the carry and flare skip might make the difference between par and bogey if I'm being honest.

Plus, I can FH a glidey distance driver farther than a controllable fairway. It's just a fact.
The Sword is a pretty good option from Trilogy, non-Trilogy options could be the Corvette, Catalyst, Octane, or Shryke. If you'd rather just stick with a fast driver go for it, but trying to throw something slower is only going to increase your FH distance over time.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2019, 02:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,206 Times in 531 Posts

Quote:
The vast majority of my FHs are thrown with a zone/mortar. My go to FH driver is an FD. I understand and appreciate that more speed is not typically the answer.

I wouldn't try to convince any of you or anyone to bag a warp speed driver for 300' of forehand power.

That being said, the flightpath and ground play of an underpowered, glidey, slightly flippy warp speed driver can open up some low risk plays in the woods and from trouble. Say I'm throwing out of a curvy hallway from a wooded teepad into an open field - the carry and flare skip might make the difference between par and bogey if I'm being honest.

Plus, I can FH a glidey distance driver farther than a controllable fairway. It's just a fact.

I would recommend that anyone leave the distance drivers at home until they get find their bearings. But as you figure things out, a warp speed driver is just another tool in the bag, like a flat firebird or a beat roadrunner.
I should have said I don't see the point, for me personally.
You make a valid point, and if something works for you, great, keep doing it.

I've just found better results (and nothing missing) by going with 9s myself.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-07-2019, 02:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 281 Times in 149 Posts

I get what you mean. For stable straight “max D” forehand shots I throw a relatively overstable CD2. But occasionally there’s a place for that forced-over flex shot with a higher speed disc, especially when you’re looking for a skip. I use a flat Sparkle Outlaw for this, it works pretty well.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:38 PM
Par Member

Niced 70 Times in 36 Posts

Champion Tern. 'Nuff said.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:07 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 737 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:
Hey dudes,

Always looking to maximize my FH distance with low power (no longer than 300' typically) but decent finesse.

I understand and anticipate the differences between the popular Innova and DC drivers, but I am less familiar with the somewhat more recent warp speed drivers from trilogy.

I am specifically looking for a FH driver which combines ludicrous speed and glide with relatively neutral stability - I would say something like 12+ / 6 / -1 to -2 / 2 to 3

I'm thinking if it's not a Shryke or pro destroyer I seek, or possibly a crank, I would like to lean on Euroglide and try one of the new trilogy options.

These include the Ballista and BP, the Sorcerer, the Sheriff and the Raider (and maybe Havoc? Looks comfy for FH.)

Can anyone compare and contrast these, or suggest something else? For reference I found the Queen to be too flippy for this slot, and the Defender, while having a very comfy, smooth grip, is too OS for true hyzer flip distance FHs.
The Disc That Came to my mind from Innova was a Whaoo, the only 12+ from Innova that has 6 in glide and has the other numbers within the perimeters you set.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 12
Niced 928 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
The vast majority of my FHs are thrown with a zone/mortar. My go to FH driver is an FD. I understand and appreciate that more speed is not typically the answer.

I wouldn't try to convince any of you or anyone to bag a warp speed driver for 300' of forehand power.

I would recommend that anyone leave the distance drivers at home until they get find their bearings. But as you figure things out, a warp speed driver is just another tool in the bag, like a flat firebird or a beat roadrunner.
Yeah, so get a Wraith.....

Niced: (1)
Old 08-07-2019, 04:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 512 Times in 329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discerdoo View Post
Yeah, so get a Wraith.....
Have 'em! Have relied on Star in the past, just picked up my first GStar. EDIT: it is in my signature, after all...
Old 08-07-2019, 04:50 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 29 Times in 23 Posts

Have you tried the Wraith? I think that has a comfy rim for FH.
When it comes to Swedish plastic I could see certain swords working for this but I have found them to be hit and miss, new raider is similar to a beat defender. A few people I used to play with threw trespasses predominantly for FH, thinking about it, that would probably be my number one suggestion for that slot.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:51 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 215 Times in 142 Posts

Older ESP nukes bomb. G star colossus’s too. I’ve had success getting big z cranks out on nice flip up FH lines too.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 670 Times in 528 Posts

300' probably isn't far enough to warrant throwing something 12+ speed. Instead, you might look at something like an Orc, Teebird, or even Valkyrie. For 300' you won't need a very overstable disc.

If you absolutely must have something fast, Ballista would probably be my choice for that distance. That or a Shryke.