Old 08-07-2019, 02:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,303 Times in 1,462 Posts

Splitting age-protected divisions by rating was tried before. Nobody liked it.

Well, probably somebody liked it, but it wasn't popular enough to continue for more than a year or two.

This remains a solution in search of a problem. We amateur geezers can play with our age peers. We can play with our skill level. That should be enough choice.

As for the world championships, the thought of any ratings-based championship seems silly to me. I understand being the best of an age group, a gender, or even the best amateur. The best rated under 900? Might as well have a Novice World Championship, while you're at it.
Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2019, 02:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,912 Times in 1,665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Well, more like, "Can't you throw any harder than that"?
I can...but don't like to
Old 08-07-2019, 03:49 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 360
Niced 726 Times in 253 Posts

Honestly, I think we'd have more age 50+ guys show up if we had more tournaments that were geared towards them instead of a comprehensive all ages field. Same thing with women and juniors. I know those aren't options that every area can offer every weekend, but wouldn't it be nice if these players could find a half dozen such events within a reasonable drive in the course of a year.

If that took off, maybe then you can open the possibility of having a division for age restricted Am2.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:06 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 135
Niced 2,273 Times in 862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Splitting age-protected divisions by rating was tried before. Nobody liked it.

Well, probably somebody liked it, but it wasn't popular enough to continue for more than a year or two.

This remains a solution in search of a problem. We amateur geezers can play with our age peers. We can play with our skill level. That should be enough choice.

As for the world championships, the thought of any ratings-based championship seems silly to me. I understand being the best of an age group, a gender, or even the best amateur. The best rated under 900? Might as well have a Novice World Championship, while you're at it.
There was a PDGA Major called US Mid-Nationals Championships that was ratings-based. It ran in 2005-06 at Highbridge and in 2007 in St. Louis. The divisions were set by ratings and if you were rated above a certain level you couldn't play. Highbridge was pretty new and a big deal in 2005; I knew a bunch of guys from Chicago that went up to play and it had a decent turnout. The next year the turnout tanked. Since Highbridge was so remote they moved it for year three, but even at that the turnout was poor for a major and the event was cancelled. Dave Mccormack won the last one and called it the "baggers championship". It just wasn't well received at all.

The divisions kinda followed the tee colors: There was no "gold" because there was no top division. The top division was blue, followed by white and red. I forget the ratings breaks, but it may have been blue 999-950/White 949-900/red 899-850.

After red there was green and purple, your rating I think had to be under 850 to qualify for green and under 800 to qualify for purple. Year one there were eight in Green and two in the purple field. Year two there was one in green and two in purple, by the last year there was two in green and one in purple. No one was really interested in competing to be the best disc golfer rated under 850 or whatever that cut off was.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-07-2019, 04:21 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 102
Niced 48 Times in 28 Posts

What about separating the field into their preferred substance to consume while playing?

Old 08-07-2019, 05:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 132
Niced 535 Times in 259 Posts

<---torn as to whether to sign up for 'Pizza' or 'Beer' divisions
Old 08-07-2019, 05:46 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 280 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesocrul View Post
What about separating the field into their preferred substance to consume while playing?
I'm 53, I guess I will be stuck in the Advil division now.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,341 Times in 405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova P View Post
...and now my whole afternoon is spent coddling the hurt feelings of a grown-ass adult man.
I feel your pain, trust me, nobody wants to play on a card in MA3. I played it once for my first sanctioned tournament and even I was like "wtf am I doing here?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
How about bracket divisions, you know, sorta like drag racing. Once you break out of your bracket, you are forced to move up.

Require a pro card to play in any of the bracket classes. This could even improve the game as perhaps a qualifier for the pro card would be an annual rule refresher course. Maybe then we could get pros on lead card to quit breaking the rules.
I'm interested in learning more about this system. Can you enlighten me (or share some links that explain this well)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
The most effective setup I've seen is offering just the MP40, MP55 and MP70 options in some Florida events. I think they do it with the Ams also, MA40, MA55 and MA70.
I wish I had read this post a month ago. The only age-protected divsions I'm currently running are 40+ and 50+ (both MP and MA), and I've been catching flak from the 60+ crowd about the difference between 55 and 60.

...now honestly I'm in favor of MINIMAL divisions, especially at A-tiers, I couldn't care less if you don't play to win/compete...go play a league instead...but that's a different discussion.

In context though, 40+ and 55+ would be much better if you can only run 2 age brackets.

...though I still think the 5-year gapping is silly overall, it does have a potential silver lining.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:55 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 271
Niced 170 Times in 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzflip10 View Post
I'm 53, I guess I will be stuck in the Advil division now.
Team Lipitor for the win!!

Old 08-07-2019, 06:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 271
Niced 170 Times in 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post

I'm interested in learning more about this system. Can you enlighten me (or share some links that explain this well)?
I shot in NRA sanctioned matches for about ten years. We had scores for each match (similar to PDGA ratings) and you were placed into the appropriate competitive class based on your first rated match (Our classes were B, A, AA, AAA, Master).

After your initial classification, shooting three scores in the class above yours (over any period of time) automatically moved you into that class for subsequent matches. And if you ever shot a score that was two classes above your current class, you were "broken out" into the next class up immediately and retroactively for that tournament. This was a way to guard against someone "sandbagging" to win a match. If you shot that much better than your current rating you were awarded with an immediate and automatic class bump.

There was a process to petition for a lower class if you shot 12 consecutive score below your current rating, but I never saw it used as most folks could shoot their class at least once in a while.

Doesn't fit into DG perfectly, but it is an example of a sport that places people into classes and then automatically moves them based on subsequent scores.