Old 08-29-2019, 04:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.4
Courses Played: 247
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,631 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderEagle View Post
What persons of any age are reading newspapers nowadays?

I don't get how magazines stay in business. I mean I can't see getting a Sports Illustrated in the mail to read up on all that stuff that I already knew about. Might as well pull the PDGA magazine into this as well. Talk about irrelevant.
I do. I have to have something to read in the bathroom. I don't own a phone, but you can be assured the last place I would take something I put to my face, is the bathroom.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 08-29-2019, 05:10 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 73
Niced 1,241 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
It is funny, cause Terry and I were just talking after the podcast on Tuesday about sending a raw feed to another place where they could commentate over it, like another language or something. Or maybe just for fun like to the DGComedy guy.
Or alternate perspectives! You could send a stream to the secret underground studio at Ladies of the Chains Podcast. . .

Old 08-29-2019, 05:28 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 168 Times in 55 Posts

Quote:
It is funny, because this is the model that we have kinda been using since 2012. It is just now that many other places are feeling the financial pressure to go this route as well.

OH, and bicycling races have like $200K to put on 4 day broadcasts. WOW. Time to up our rates. hahaha.

It is funny, cause Terry and I were just talking after the podcast on Tuesday about sending a raw feed to another place where they could commentate over it, like another language or something. Or maybe just for fun like to the DGComedy guy.
Would it be possible to have a feed that is just the raw sound and just be able to hear the sounds from the course? I don't know about others, but part of my problem with live is that I can only listen to the commentators for so long before I get sick of hearing them (even the ones that I like a lot).

Old 08-29-2019, 05:38 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 24
Niced 86 Times in 32 Posts

A raw feed where others can commentate? How about a mystery science theater 3000 version? Oh wait. That would be that live chat with voices. Lol

Old 08-29-2019, 07:05 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 36 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
I've put a lot of thought into this. You need one of 2 things.
1. Wiring camera drops to different parts of the course. The problem with this is running thousands of feet of cable to locations. Not only is it expensive, but getting that cable to the course.

2. Wireless transmitters. This is difficult because most reasonable priced ones require a line of site. Which does no one any good at most of our best wooded courses. Wireless doesn't travel thru trees very well. So you would need to elevate the transmitter and receiver above the treeline. To do all of this at a public park would require a few additional days of work, then you probably need to have security to protect your equipment from theft during the day and overnight. And possibly permits to erect all this stuff.

So right now, for all intensive purposes cellular is our most reasonable option. The expansive nature of our sport is also what is holding us back.
Putting wires on a disc golf course sounds bad, whether it's underground or not.

Erecting temporary towers doesn't sound great either.

Later on in the thread someone said "blimp", but would a balloon with a mobile 4G base station do the trick? Height wouldn't be a problem, LOS is better than a tower. You bring it down and pack it up every day so it's more secure than the tower. Is that just a crazy idea?

Old 08-29-2019, 08:26 PM

Courses Played: 10
Niced 21 Times in 10 Posts

Is there any wild speculation as to the sale price? One hundred million dollars??
Old 08-29-2019, 08:39 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colink View Post
Putting wires on a disc golf course sounds bad, whether it's underground or not.

Later on in the thread someone said "blimp", but would a balloon with a mobile 4G base station do the trick? Height wouldn't be a problem, LOS is better than a tower. You bring it down and pack it up every day so it's more secure than the tower. Is that just a crazy idea?
It worked in the late 19th and early 20th centuries for artillery spotting. Why not! What's old is new again!
Old 08-29-2019, 09:01 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 48 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by colink View Post

There's several tech companies trying to come up with ways to provide broad band through that method, I mean on a much bigger scale though, and higher up, but. That isn't a bad idea at all with a blimp or balloon or something.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:00 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 20
Niced 221 Times in 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas187 View Post
There's several tech companies trying to come up with ways to provide broad band through that method, I mean on a much bigger scale though, and higher up, but. That isn't a bad idea at all with a blimp or balloon or something.
I said blimps...but since then ive been thinking about...drones. An array of drones arranged in 3d space to provide direct line of sight transmission?

Old 08-30-2019, 12:01 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammaxgoblin View Post
I said blimps...but since then ive been thinking about...drones. An array of drones arranged in 3d space to provide direct line of sight transmission?
We should give this network in the sky a catchy name. . . sky network. . . sky net. . . Skynet! I love it! There's no way this could backfire!