Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #2401  
Old 07-30-2019, 02:17 PM
The Albatross's Avatar
The Albatross The Albatross is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Spokane, WA
Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,362
Niced 283 Times in 146 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
Have you tried adding in a Banshee for when you really need to get a bit more fade or skip than you will get with an Eagle or Teebird?
I had one back in the day, but instead opted for a beat up Firebird for anything more than a beefy Teebird.
I’ve also held on to a handful of stiff, flat Eagle Xs (the ones that Heimburg likes) that are really overstable, and skip well.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2402  
Old 07-30-2019, 02:33 PM
Sydex Sydex is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Anywhere, TX
Courses Played: 9
Posts: 344
Niced 102 Times in 79 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
I purchased two max weight stock avery's a few months ago. NOT over stable. I was expecting them to start out like my previous meat hooks that took some abusive seasoning for just a bit to get a good flight. These have a bit of turn, or can be thrown with a slight amount of hyzer and flip up right off the shelf. Still decent forward fade.

I've since picked up a couple of shimmer star with some tournament stamps that are nice, fairly flat and overstable without being too much.

I carry both right now.
Are they domey Star Teebirds? I know those to all be glidey discs with a little bit of turn. They do get pretty wild with any amount of wind.

IMO, the best Teebirds they're producing right now that fly closest to the classic Teebird flight are MF and Shimmer Star.
Reply With Quote
  #2403  
Old 07-30-2019, 02:57 PM
Putt for D'oh's Avatar
Putt for D'oh Putt for D'oh is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,109
Niced 466 Times in 269 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydex View Post
Are they domey Star Teebirds? I know those to all be glidey discs with a little bit of turn. They do get pretty wild with any amount of wind.

IMO, the best Teebirds they're producing right now that fly closest to the classic Teebird flight are MF and Shimmer Star.
Not domey but not flat. Looking at infinite right now, unless I got a couple oddballs all of their Star TBs are similar. I remember checking PLH vs the beat star I was retiring from my bag that took a year of abuse to not be maga-beef and these didn't seem much different. The stars have gotten squirrely in the wind a few times, but could have been too much wind but was probably just me.

The recent MF seem less stable than the older as well. I bought one as back-up to my favorite TB and not at all like what I had. My favorite started super beefy and beat in to straight to fade OS. It may just be more TB3 like I guess but it LOVED a headwind. I could swear that disc flew further in a decent headwind than it did in calm. Lost it and couldn't find another MF to fly like that. The newer ones, larger, fewer flakes, not the same, and definitely less flat. The most recent MF I picked up was at a tournament early spring at I lost it when it turned over into a headwind. That last one was pretty domey though.

I picked up a Luster TB off Ebay and a couple Luster TB3 from infinite recently and I personally can't tell the difference between them. Look/feel/flight. They are right now starting off just like I was hoping/expecting the new stars to fly. I really like the grip/feel of the luster plastic.

Oh, and I guess since i'm rambling all things my Teebirds... the Pro TBs I have ARE pretty domey like just about all the Pro drivers i've tried. (not a huge number though).

Last edited by Putt for D'oh; 07-30-2019 at 03:00 PM. Reason: I ramble, I type, it doesn't read like what was in my head
Reply With Quote
  #2404  
Old 07-30-2019, 03:11 PM
Putt for D'oh's Avatar
Putt for D'oh Putt for D'oh is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,109
Niced 466 Times in 269 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albatross View Post
I had one back in the day, but instead opted for a beat up Firebird for anything more than a beefy Teebird.
I’ve also held on to a handful of stiff, flat Eagle Xs (the ones that Heimburg likes) that are really overstable, and skip well.
I was really trying to just add to your problems of excess, I can feel as well.

WAAAAAY too many Speed 7 and 9 discs right now. A stupid amount of overlap but like them all.

My favorite disc I have that i never really have a chance to throw is a factory second Star Teebird that is 135 grams. Flys pretty much like a star TB should. Stable, straight loads of glide and good fade. A utility disc for me to forehand.

Last edited by Putt for D'oh; 07-30-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2405  
Old 07-30-2019, 04:18 PM
Sydex Sydex is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Anywhere, TX
Courses Played: 9
Posts: 344
Niced 102 Times in 79 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
Not domey but not flat. Looking at infinite right now, unless I got a couple oddballs all of their Star TBs are similar. I remember checking PLH vs the beat star I was retiring from my bag that took a year of abuse to not be maga-beef and these didn't seem much different. The stars have gotten squirrely in the wind a few times, but could have been too much wind but was probably just me.

The recent MF seem less stable than the older as well. I bought one as back-up to my favorite TB and not at all like what I had. My favorite started super beefy and beat in to straight to fade OS. It may just be more TB3 like I guess but it LOVED a headwind. I could swear that disc flew further in a decent headwind than it did in calm. Lost it and couldn't find another MF to fly like that. The newer ones, larger, fewer flakes, not the same, and definitely less flat. The most recent MF I picked up was at a tournament early spring at I lost it when it turned over into a headwind. That last one was pretty domey though.

I picked up a Luster TB off Ebay and a couple Luster TB3 from infinite recently and I personally can't tell the difference between them. Look/feel/flight. They are right now starting off just like I was hoping/expecting the new stars to fly. I really like the grip/feel of the luster plastic.

Oh, and I guess since i'm rambling all things my Teebirds... the Pro TBs I have ARE pretty domey like just about all the Pro drivers i've tried. (not a huge number though).
I haven't owned any Luster TBs, but I'll have to give them a try. My go-to for beefy Teebirds are domey Star Teebird3s. I picked one up at a Sockibomb even because it looked a little funny. The thing flew like like a Champ Banshee. It's really how I imagine the older MF Teebirds flew. I didn't pick up any of the old MFs but the ones I have look similar to how you're explaining. They fly straight to fade out to 350' and outside of usual wind that would make a teebird a little squirrly they're pretty solid. They fly with a little less glide than my Shimmer Star '19 KJs.

It's a little alarming, if the Stars are being molded up a little less stable. I'd get some to try but I promised myself and my fiancee I wouldn't be getting any more discs. Not like I need any anyways, I think I own about 30-35 Teebirds with at least 20 of them being Star and 6 of them shimmer star. The other ~10 being MF and Champion.
Reply With Quote
  #2406  
Old 07-30-2019, 05:36 PM
Suspect Suspect is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Philly burbs
Posts: 343
Niced 102 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Just am here to say the Teebird might be the best disc ever and lives up to the hype. My top 2 or 3 favorite disc. Between the amount of kinds of plastic it has and how its relatively easy to use, I normally dont buy the hype but I did a year ago.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #2407  
Old 08-30-2019, 08:05 AM
Stable's Avatar
Stable Stable is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NC
Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 32
Posts: 2,754
Niced 510 Times in 316 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspect View Post
Just am here to say the Teebird might be the best disc ever and lives up to the hype. My top 2 or 3 favorite disc. Between the amount of kinds of plastic it has and how its relatively easy to use, I normally dont buy the hype but I did a year ago.
Yeah, they got it right. One of the more imitated molds.

I prefer really OS Teebirds. I've got a 168g Glow Champion in my bag right now that is really great for FH's. I've got an older JA Teebird as a backup.

In general what are the beefiest available Teebirds right now? Maybe the MF Barela Teebird3's?
Reply With Quote
  #2408  
Old 08-30-2019, 12:18 PM
tirepizza's Avatar
tirepizza tirepizza is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wilmington, NC
Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 269
Niced 48 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stable View Post
Yeah, they got it right. One of the more imitated molds.

I prefer really OS Teebirds. I've got a 168g Glow Champion in my bag right now that is really great for FH's. I've got an older JA Teebird as a backup.

In general what are the beefiest available Teebirds right now? Maybe the MF Barela Teebird3's?
I don't have any super new beefy teebirds but the older champ brinsters and Jen Allen glows (I have a couple '17s) are considerably more OS than stock star. The mini stamp stock star I have in my bag now is straight stable with a nice fade, not as OS as they were a few years ago when aj's name was on them (maybe they still are? Not sure)
Reply With Quote
  #2409  
Old 08-30-2019, 01:18 PM
Sethamphetamine Sethamphetamine is online now
Par Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: MPLS
Posts: 181
Niced 89 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Jolly launchers are probably the beefiest you could pick up in store currently. No experience with t3s
Reply With Quote
 

  #2410  
Old 09-12-2019, 07:32 PM
thatdirtykid's Avatar
thatdirtykid thatdirtykid is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Longmont CO
Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 65
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,100
Niced 115 Times in 85 Posts
Default

The teebird has been back in my bag for the last 6 months after about 9 years out... I had beat in Z preds to replace them initially then moved on to cyclones or XLs for fairway line shaping. Went through FDs, not carrying speed 6-8 fairways and plenty of other choices. Now a Teebird is the core of my bag again. Berg Wizard Comet Teebird Pred. If one of those isnt right then I will look at the others.

I am carrying a PFN star and a beat 11x. Occasionally adding a fresh star or champ for more stable.

First legit ace in years was a Teebird. Random rant post to say teebirds are still awesome.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Big Bird Roc3 & Totem Teebird shep proudfoot The Marketplace 0 03-07-2015 12:18 AM
Found a new love...150g Star Teebird gkeberhart Discs 48 09-09-2013 09:23 AM
New DX Teebird? Spread the love! Qikly The Marketplace 8 03-31-2013 09:08 PM
9x teebird, big bird roc, 4x jk valk, CE FB.... miera4 The Marketplace 7 12-27-2011 11:53 AM
Teebird love turned into pain cornellrams09 Discs 27 01-22-2010 11:00 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.