Old 09-01-2019, 01:13 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

I'm in my early 50s and have a bum ankle that sprains if I look at it crosseyed, so I don't mess around with a run-up. I do think it's important, however, to clarify what is meant by 'stand still' - it's more about weight shift from the back to the plant leg, so you're not just planting your feet and throwing. Watching players who do not use a run up makes it clear what at least one benefit to the x-step is - it keeps you in motion. A lot of guys who stand and throw will start pausing on their reach back, usually to verify that they have their line, position, grip etc. correct before they throw. I find that, while doing this can improve accuracy, it kills power. X-step or not, the reach back should rebound and start moving forward immediately without ever freezing in position. This can hurt accuracy I'm sure, but it definitely increases distance over pausing.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2019, 12:28 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 7
Niced 48 Times in 29 Posts

I tried doing the run up x-step last year. This year in april I had a health scare that put me in a position of taking out the run up x-step, and like most of you guy's have said, it improved my accuracy as well as having as much distance wise as when I run up and x-step. Have been doing the run up x-step again and I've been thinking about going back to stand still again just due to the accuracy thing as well as the fact that I've got a lower back problem developing and I didn't have as much of that when I was stand stilling. I'm going to start working on it again this week.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-01-2019, 08:56 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 2
Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas187 View Post
Have been doing the run up x-step again and I've been thinking about going back to stand still again just due to the accuracy thing as well as the fact that I've got a lower back problem developing and I didn't have as much of that when I was stand stilling.
Follow through is critical to not straining your back and, unfortunately, becomes less automatic when using a standing throw. The x-step creates momentum that gets partly converted into rotation of the hips and upper body, which helps with follow through. For a standing drive you have to really focus on the weight shift and rotating follow through or you risk wrenching your low back.

It also helps a lot to make sure your off shoulder is mirroring the throwing shoulder, coming fully forward towards the target as the throwing shoulder goes back for the reach back. Doing this winds the upper body spring, ensuring a smoother unwinding rotation that helps both distance and follow through.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:30 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Should agree
Old 09-02-2019, 07:09 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 561 Times in 259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
I think every new player needs to have that moment when they realize their run up doesn't add any distance, and costs accuracy.

I get the value of the rhythm of a run up, but don't use it as a crutch; you can feel the rhythm with a standstill with a bit of practice.

Wait, what?

Maybe before you’re truly comfortable with your X-step but once it’s really locked in the run up/step is a HUGE force multiplier. I remember before I got cozy with my steps yeah I could say that but no way now.

I am x stepping unless the footing is compromised or it’s a short throw. I do believe in standstills for approach or accuracy but when I need distance it’s absolutely through using an x step.

Last edited by DoWork; 09-02-2019 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,924 Times in 811 Posts

Quote:
I try to preach the gospel of the standstill to the people I play with, but they never listen.
I have one buddy i have been preaching it to for 25 years and he still won't do it. Consequently i beat him most every time we play even though he has a good bit more talent than I do. Hopefully he never learns, it's nice to have that extra $5 all the time.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:36 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Niced 208 Times in 137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
Maybe before youíre truly comfortable with your X-step but once itís really locked in the run up/step is a HUGE force multiplier.
What distance difference do you talk about?
Old 09-02-2019, 11:20 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meillo View Post
What distance difference do you talk about?

This is my second full summer playing, my first year really feeling good in my x-step. Beginning of the summer I was sussing it out and stuck in that 300-325 range and I can now hyzerflip to 400-425 regularly, with a few reaching 450. Iím still opening up and really dialing finer form issues but itís been a huge advantage for me in finding a way to feel natural alignment and body position through the steps. I can still rip a standstill, but canít access real distance without a little song & dance.

Thatís not to say being comfortable in a standstill isnít an accuracy advantage, because I believe it is. Iím a spin putter so standstills are a big comfort zone for me but when I need to boom one out there Iím running up unless the footing is complete garbage.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 135
Niced 975 Times in 520 Posts

Quote:
Wait, what?

Maybe before youíre truly comfortable with your X-step but once itís really locked in the run up/step is a HUGE force multiplier. I remember before I got cozy with my steps yeah I could say that but no way now.

I am x stepping unless the footing is compromised or itís a short throw. I do believe in standstills for approach or accuracy but when I need distance itís absolutely through using an x step.
For most people (i.e. 99% of disc golfers) that can't throw 400'+, a run up usually doesn't add more than 30' or so, at a huge cost to accuracy.

Yes, the better you get, the more useful and advantageous a run up is, hence why all pros use one. But for sub 900 players, usually a run up is getting them like an extra 20', at a huge cost to accuracy. Many times it is actually costing distance because their form on it is so bad.

Quote:
This is my second full summer playing, my first year really feeling good in my x-step. Beginning of the summer I was sussing it out and stuck in that 300-325 range and I can now hyzerflip to 400-425 regularly, with a few reaching 450. Iím still opening up and really dialing finer form issues but itís been a huge advantage for me in finding a way to feel natural alignment and body position through the steps. I can still rip a standstill, but canít access real distance without a little song & dance.

Thatís not to say being comfortable in a standstill isnít an accuracy advantage, because I believe it is. Iím a spin putter so standstills are a big comfort zone for me but when I need to boom one out there Iím running up unless the footing is complete garbage.
Sure, when you need 450' go for it. But my point is that when you can standstill, it is usually the better option. If you need 275', are you still using a full run up and x step? Because you shouldn't. With 450' of power you should be able to easily standstill (or 1 step) a mid.

Niced: (1)

Old 09-05-2019, 11:11 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
For most people (i.e. 99% of disc golfers) that can't throw 400'+, a run up usually doesn't add more than 30' or so, at a huge cost to accuracy.

Yes, the better you get, the more useful and advantageous a run up is, hence why all pros use one. But for sub 900 players, usually a run up is getting them like an extra 20', at a huge cost to accuracy. Many times it is actually costing distance because their form on it is so bad.

Sure, when you need 450' go for it. But my point is that when you can standstill, it is usually the better option. If you need 275', are you still using a full run up and x step? Because you shouldn't. With 450' of power you should be able to easily standstill (or 1 step) a mid.

I wasnít disagreeing with you that standstills give a greater accuracy at the cost of a little bit of distance.

ďRun upĒ also is kind of a misleading name for what I personally do, as I often take a very small, slow and controlled x step when I donít need a ton of distance. Itís really just a body alignment movement type exercise for me, and not necessarily a full run up for a real bomber.

I guess Iím trying to differentiate between an x step which is simply to align the body and a ďfull run upĒ in the way youíre thinking. They are very different IMO, and everybody can benefit from really concentrating on how they rotate and load their core, shoulders and align their arms WITHOUT the full speed run movement. Itís helped me tremendously.