Old 09-08-2019, 07:42 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 202 Times in 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Damn! Now that is some power from the front leg!
It can do wonders for confidence when you know you're not throwing it over the basket. A couple of those that you hear hit the ground just bounced off center pole because it's only a portable basket and I was 15' away throwing like it was 40'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
I'm really thinking that it can be easier to show someone how to putt in balance and then learn to throw better from that as a base.

Your vertical line comparison on your throw setup vs. follow through with my putt a few posts up also really helped me feel more leverage. I have to feel like I squat more into my plant, and it helps my lower body counter the torso better as it swings forward and I can have balance more similar to in my putt. Haven't got to try it yet with a disc but it feels very powerful and easy to balance, while being easier to create space for the swing.
I was wondering how I could transfer this new balance feeling to my throw? I've been having some better luck focusing on pushing my left hip targetward with my rear elbow. I'm definitely still coming "over the top" a lot.

I'm feeling good about a 2020' tournament season now. I can at least compete in rec/int now most likely. A lot of work to still do though.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by UhhNegative; 09-08-2019 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
I was wondering how I could transfer this new balance feeling to my throw? I've been having some better luck focusing on pushing my left hip targetward with my rear elbow. I'm definitely still coming "over the top" a lot.
Go like 80-100' away from a basket/target. Think you'll putt-throw...like start at your putting aim but then instead of loading the disc straight down to your legs, turn back a bit so that the disc can backswing slightly to your rear hip. This will turn your lead shoulder back/down slightly instead of a normal putt, and then you can get a little rotation forward into the same putting release point and swing through it.

Basically add a little backswing into your putt, and swing through it so that you feel the disc eject.

This way you won't have to think about power or distance, but you'll hopefully throw 100'+ so easily that you'll start seeing the disc carry way more than you expected, and you can go from there.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 468 Times in 271 Posts

This has become such a great putting info thread. Really appreciate the input.
I've taken some but still... this is helping anyway.

Quote:
I'm feeling good about a 2020' tournament season now. I can at least compete in rec/int now most likely. A lot of work to still do though.
this is sarcasm right? From your form vids I gotta believe they would be yelling Bagger at you for playing INT let alone rec.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:43 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
this is sarcasm right? From your form vids I gotta believe they would be yelling Bagger at you for playing INT let alone rec.
You've never seen me putt or upshot during a round! When I was lefty I won one C-tier intermediate tourney by a few strokes but typically I would finish in the middle, and I started going downhill after that. My last tournament was the 2018 Music City Open where I played advanced and I think I got last. Like I was shooting +18 rounds... I just completely fell apart. I think I'm getting closer to being back to my peak lefty skill, but I'm hoping to break through to the next level. A lot of it is the mental game for me, which I have also been working hard on.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:46 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Go like 80-100' away from a basket/target. Think you'll putt-throw...like start at your putting aim but then instead of loading the disc straight down to your legs, turn back a bit so that the disc can backswing slightly to your rear hip. This will turn your lead shoulder back/down slightly instead of a normal putt, and then you can get a little rotation forward into the same putting release point and swing through it.

Basically add a little backswing into your putt, and swing through it so that you feel the disc eject.

This way you won't have to think about power or distance, but you'll hopefully throw 100'+ so easily that you'll start seeing the disc carry way more than you expected, and you can go from there.
This is making more sense. I see how the battering ram drill applies now too. It just "feels" like my balance is too far forward. I'll try this out today if I get the chance.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-09-2019, 07:47 PM
Eagle Member

No one told me putting could be this easy. I see how it's 90% mental now. This is going to save me probably 5+ strokes a round on average. All I have to do is make sure my weight is up on the front foot with nose over toes and extend my hand towards the basket. Still get some inconsistent releases out of the fingers but overall, much, much better even after only two days of practice.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Quote:
Still get some inconsistent releases out of the fingers but overall, much, much better even after only two days of practice.
If you feel the back edge of the disc want to swing forward and continue along the path that your arm started it on...then your fingers can't really mess you up unless you really mess up. Once you can feel that disc sling/pop work easily, it will feel very effortless to go along with the solid balance base that the rest of your body is set up on.

You're right it's all mental after that. Which is good or bad depending on the day haha
Old 09-09-2019, 09:44 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
If you feel the back edge of the disc want to swing forward and continue along the path that your arm started it on...then your fingers can't really mess you up unless you really mess up. Once you can feel that disc sling/pop work easily, it will feel very effortless to go along with the solid balance base that the rest of your body is set up on.

You're right it's all mental after that. Which is good or bad depending on the day haha
Yeah I do get the finger spring on occasion, just not always. Might be a consequence of not committing to the putt sometimes.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:46 AM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 491 Times in 191 Posts

Quote:
Yeah I do get the finger spring on occasion, just not always. Might be a consequence of not committing to the putt sometimes.
Pre swing your putt until you can feel the spring firing and you’re gonna have an easier time committing.

Niced: (1)

Old 09-14-2019, 09:11 AM
Eagle Member

New putting stance paid off for the first time in my 9 hole round yesterday. Had a below average driving/upshot day, but still managed to tie my best at the course because I could hit 20-25 footers a lot more reliably. Feels good. Also my ~150'-175' putter standstills are feeling better and better. Getting all my weight on the front foot, "wiping my butt", and making sure my arm extends/pushes and I'm accidentally throwing too far a lot. Sorry neighbor's car!