Old 09-10-2019, 07:59 PM
Par Member

Niced 10 Times in 9 Posts

Thanks for the great advice. I should have made the clarification of distance. I understand practice, practice practice but as SD said I’m looking for something that will suit my style differently than what I have. I will most likely still use my kc pros to 25-30ft but beyond is where I’m looking for suggestions....
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2019, 08:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,493 Times in 688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbultman View Post
Thanks for the great advice. I should have made the clarification of distance. I understand practice, practice practice but as SD said I’m looking for something that will suit my style differently than what I have. I will most likely still use my kc pros to 25-30ft but beyond is where I’m looking for suggestions....
If you generally like the feel of the KC, beat one in to straight or even understable or try a Yeti. The Yeti isn't as stable as a KC and has a tackier feel.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:51 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.1
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 48 Times in 28 Posts

I get that its the archer not the arrow but sometimes confidence happens with a better arrow. My first putter was a dart, I couldn't hit anything with it. I then bought a dx Aviar and 2 prime Wardens. My putting immediately improved. 3 similar molds made practicing better. A few months later, I bought a used Bt Hard Maiden. Over 20 rounds or so, it slowly beat out the Aviar and I now I can make longer putts that used to be impossible for me. Was the problem the arrow? Probably not. But for some reason the new disc helped me change my mind set.

By my suggestion is the Bt Hard Maiden. Its been a fantastic putter and I just discovered I can forehand it. Something I could never do with an Aviar. Its been a game changer for me. I haven't tried the other plastics so not sure how those are.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-11-2019, 06:53 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 15
Niced 464 Times in 281 Posts

Classic aviar is what you want for a straight putter.

But really, you just need to putt harder. A KC aviar will be straight at most regular putting distances with enough power. Get those legs involved, it’s surprising how much that does.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-11-2019, 08:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,067 Times in 533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtydirtybirds View Post

But really, you just need to putt harder.
This isn't really great advice either. Anectdotally, when I try putting harder my putt comes out flatter, and I miss low far too often.

Most putters will be straight enough inside the circle. Outside the circle are mostly bonus putts (unless you're at the very top of the game), and it's just a matter of learning longer putts - either the difference in longer flight or switching stance/style outside of a certain range.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:58 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 135
Niced 2,245 Times in 851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
Most putters will be straight enough inside the circle. Outside the circle are mostly bonus putts (unless you're at the very top of the game), and it's just a matter of learning longer putts - either the difference in longer flight or switching stance/style outside of a certain range.
This.

I think we make waaayyy too much out of putting putters. I've always picked a putter based on it being a driving putter, and whatever my driving putter is I putt with. You can putt with any putter. Inside the circle they all more or less do the same things, with slight alterations (for me mostly how high I aim) I can putt inside the circle with any putter.

Old 09-11-2019, 01:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 104
Niced 263 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbultman View Post
Why not try a light weight KC Pro Aviar for your long putts, something in the 150-160 gram range.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:23 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 447 Times in 201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
This.

I think we make waaayyy too much out of putting putters. I've always picked a putter based on it being a driving putter, and whatever my driving putter is I putt with. You can putt with any putter. Inside the circle they all more or less do the same things, with slight alterations (for me mostly how high I aim) I can putt inside the circle with any putter.
Wise words.

Wait...putter advice from...username...Three Putt?

But seriously, on the subject of putters, I like to pick a mold that can do a little bit of everything. Carry a couple for putting, one or two for driving/upshots, and then if I really need a utility putter or two of a different mold then carry those. But it all starts with the main mold. Upside is that when your throwers get beat enough, then they can serve as your less stable/glidey long range putter if you need that. Since they are the same mold they have the same feel in hand as your main putters. So then it comes back to what feels comfortable in your hands.

Old 09-11-2019, 01:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorooks View Post
I get that its the archer not the arrow but sometimes confidence happens with a better arrow. My first putter was a dart, I couldn't hit anything with it. I then bought a dx Aviar and 2 prime Wardens. My putting immediately improved. 3 similar molds made practicing better.
To be fair, a Dart is pretty unique compared to most putters. Both in hand feel, and how floaty and undestable they can be. I agree that I would have less confidence of myself on release, and less confidence in hand feel in putting with something like the Dart all the time.

If your benchmark is an Aviar instead, then most other putters are small variations on that. So I have no doubt that moving to Aviars/Wardens was a big change and likely very positive. And any change after being used to those, is likely just fine tuning what you prefer.

Of course then there's also the class of shallower putters that are on the opposite side of the Aviar from the Dart, that tend to do better for more aggressive spin putters.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:06 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 737 Times in 629 Posts

A Magnet does not really have a bead, just a super micro one. The bead feel is in the concave wing shape. Don't like the plastic for the Disc, get a Clutch as those come in just about every plastic that Legacy makes.