Old 10-11-2017, 08:42 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 144
Niced 277 Times in 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knettles View Post
I swear, parents of child athletes can be just awful. They're depressed with the way their life turned out, so they have grand dreams of their children becoming professional sports stars so they can live vicariously through them. Then, they do stupid **** like this.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1GDLNZIPx8
I swear, PEOPLE can be just awful is a better way of putting it... Why specify parents of athletes, when the real thing is... some PEOPLE just plain suck.

Not going after you or your sentiment - I agree with your statements. Just a peave about attacking a subset of the population versus acknowledging that people suck in pretty equal numbers across demographics.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 10-11-2017, 09:02 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 144
Niced 277 Times in 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaSnapples View Post
My post that you responded to literally states what I as a player would gain if the PDGA confirmed suspensions for cheating.

"It would be nice if the PDGA let their own members know if someone was suspended for cheating. It would at least give you an opportunity to keep an eye out if you're ever on a card with that person in the future..."

I'm not a female, so in this case I would gain nothing. However, I'm sure Lacey's competitors will be wary when playing on a card with her now. They gain the knowledge that they should watch out for a known cheater.

With the PDGA's secrecy, it almost seems like they're invested in protecting known cheaters.
Which is why he pointed out all of those other sources of that information. There's been pretty much no doubt from moment one regarding what Lacey's violation was. The PDGA did not need to release that information for it to become widespread and known. That's why he said he didn't understand what you'd gain from it - because the grapevine handles making all of that more public than the PDGA's published list would on its own with the violation listed anyway.

Now - considering the possible concerns of the grapevine being accurate: I can appreciate if you have those. But right now it seems the circumstances tend to come out in the open.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:22 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.8
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 58 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notroman View Post
There is only one scorecard per card at MOST tournaments.
This is a HUGE problem for disc golf. I have seen numerous instances of cheating both intentionally and accidentally in the small sample of events I have played.. Both types can be cured by having multiple scorecards. Decent ball golf events have a separate card for each player which another player is responsible for scoring. They also have a separate ripoff portion for a player to record their own scores to compare to official card at end of round. And then you sign to attest the score is correct. The PDGA needs to start getting serious about bringing integrity into scoring.

If you don't want to keep a scorecard then don't play in tournaments. It's not a hard solution.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-12-2019, 01:25 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
I swear, PEOPLE can be just awful is a better way of putting it... Why specify parents of athletes, when the real thing is... some PEOPLE just plain suck.

Not going after you or your sentiment - I agree with your statements. Just a peave about attacking a subset of the population versus acknowledging that people suck in pretty equal numbers across demographics.
Totally agree. The people that cheat in my area are all full grown adults. There is one i drill every time we play together (often) that is eligible for social security. Good news is that he is coming around and playing better because of it.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,538 Times in 1,483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
This is a HUGE problem for disc golf. I have seen numerous instances of cheating both intentionally and accidentally in the small sample of events I have played.. Both types can be cured by having multiple scorecards. Decent ball golf events have a separate card for each player which another player is responsible for scoring. They also have a separate ripoff portion for a player to record their own scores to compare to official card at end of round. And then you sign to attest the score is correct. The PDGA needs to start getting serious about bringing integrity into scoring.

If you don't want to keep a scorecard then don't play in tournaments. It's not a hard solution.
How does one "accidentally" cheat? By its very definition, cheating requires intent.

Also curious how you know that numerous instances of cheating has occurred in the small sample of events you've played? Because they were caught? If they were caught, then what's the issue? What would having multiple cards change?

Not that I think having multiple cards in a group is necessarily a bad idea, I just don't think it's something that needs to be required. Plenty of tournaments are run on a shoe-string budget and printing 40 cards (18 groups x 2 rounds plus a few extra) for a one-day C-tier is easier and cheaper than printing 150 cards (72 players x 2 rounds plus a few extra).

Perhaps as electronic scorekeeping becomes more ubiquitous, a single paper scorecard plus 2-3 phones in the group will be more than enough to keep everyone honest and accurate.

Old 09-12-2019, 03:00 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
How does one "accidentally" cheat? By its very definition, cheating requires intent.

Also curious how you know that numerous instances of cheating has occurred in the small sample of events you've played? Because they were caught? If they were caught, then what's the issue? What would having multiple cards change?

Not that I think having multiple cards in a group is necessarily a bad idea, I just don't think it's something that needs to be required. Plenty of tournaments are run on a shoe-string budget and printing 40 cards (18 groups x 2 rounds plus a few extra) for a one-day C-tier is easier and cheaper than printing 150 cards (72 players x 2 rounds plus a few extra).

Perhaps as electronic scorekeeping becomes more ubiquitous, a single paper scorecard plus 2-3 phones in the group will be more than enough to keep everyone honest and accurate.
Because I have seen it and taken action about it when i could. Many times such things are not provable after the fact and you have to let it go. Force everyone to be part of the score keeping process on every hole and folks will pay better attention so it is not just one voice vs. another.

As for electronic scoring...no thanks. I don't and won't carry a phone on the course. i break and lose them enough as it is. Disc golf is one of the few activities where i can break away from the digital world and I am not willing to give that freedom up. If the powers to be force it onto the sport it will be a big mistake.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-12-2019, 04:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 269
Niced 60 Times in 44 Posts

Nice parenting. I have played golf since I was six years old and played tournaments starting at 9 years old. We were constantly reminded about etiquette, the consequences of cheating and of Bobby Jones calling a penalty on himself. By the time I started playing high school golf we all worked each other (e.g., shadows on pins and greens, etc.) but I never played with or against anyone that ever pencil whipped because of how we were taught the game and traditions. If she was also making side bets, her parents need to start peeling some paper off to her competitors immediately.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 44
Niced 286 Times in 126 Posts

Even her website is a lie. 2x world champ?? Umm, I think the word “junior” might be a critical distinction. Suspend her again imo.

http://laceybrugler.com/
Old 09-13-2019, 05:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 86
Niced 1,587 Times in 661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baked View Post
Even her website is a lie. 2x world champ?? Umm, I think the word “junior” might be a critical distinction. Suspend her again imo.

http://laceybrugler.com/
Her membership has expired FYI.

Old 09-13-2019, 05:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.5
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,368 Times in 462 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if she stopped playing.