Old 06-14-2019, 03:48 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,161 Times in 1,590 Posts

Just got a 170g XT Stud. I was hoping the plastic would be like the really good XT in the Bullfrog; alas, it was more like the not-so-good "pencil eraser" XT of old. But the good news is that the XT Stud flies very, very well!

First, an eyeball comparison with my XT Prototype Colt shows the Stud has a more straight squared-off rim than the proto-Colt. They both fly very accurately towards whatever target I shoot them at.

The XT Stud has a bit more stability than the XT Proto Colt. I threw an uphill approach into the wind today. It started off a bit right of the basket (RHBH throw), but even in the headwind the XT Stud faded nicely at the end.

We'll see how quickly the XT Stud beats in, and how much the flight changes as it does. But for now, it might have relegated my well-used Star Stud back to the bench...
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2019, 04:29 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 34 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Just got a 170g XT Stud. I was hoping the plastic would be like the really good XT in the Bullfrog; alas, it was more like the not-so-good "pencil eraser" XT of old. But the good news is that the XT Stud flies very, very well!

First, an eyeball comparison with my XT Prototype Colt shows the Stud has a more straight squared-off rim than the proto-Colt. They both fly very accurately towards whatever target I shoot them at.

The XT Stud has a bit more stability than the XT Proto Colt. I threw an uphill approach into the wind today. It started off a bit right of the basket (RHBH throw), but even in the headwind the XT Stud faded nicely at the end.

We'll see how quickly the XT Stud beats in, and how much the flight changes as it does. But for now, it might have relegated my well-used Star Stud back to the bench...
How'd your XT Stud do over the summer? I just happened upon a brand new XT Colt and loved the way it felt in the hand and flew. I know it'll get US fast, so I was thinking of picking up a Stud to work in.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-13-2019, 07:14 PM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtemisClydFr0g View Post
How'd your XT Stud do over the summer? I just happened upon a brand new XT Colt and loved the way it felt in the hand and flew. I know it'll get US fast, so I was thinking of picking up a Stud to work in.
Yes, the XT Colts are nice also. My XT Stud has done very well for me. It's flying very straight, not turning over (yet) and not fading, either. I reach for the Zone when I need a reliable fade, but when I need a straight shot, such as in the woods, the Stud gets 'er done for me. I believe the XT Stud will eventually get less stable with the large amount of use I'm giving it, but it's been pretty resilient so far.

Old 09-13-2019, 07:27 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 740 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Yes, the XT Colts are nice also. My XT Stud has done very well for me. It's flying very straight, not turning over (yet) and not fading, either. I reach for the Zone when I need a reliable fade, but when I need a straight shot, such as in the woods, the Stud gets 'er done for me. I believe the XT Stud will eventually get less stable with the large amount of use I'm giving it, but it's been pretty resilient so far.
My Brother has the DX Stud for putters that I got him, he wanted a disc in DX that was like the old 2000's Flat top DX Gator he had as putter until it was about 1 putt hard into the basket from being unusable. So the Stud Was as close as I could find at the time in putters, Bullfrog was not out yet or I would have tried that to match the stability of the beat in DX Gator. XT was too much like the old DX that he feared would get slick like old stiff 2000's DX did, also one of the few that likes the modern DX over the old Stiff DX for discs. He loves the new Stud putter once he changed his putting power/speed to the basket. Was lucky when I bought the discs and they had a disc in the exact colors and original weight of his DX Gator, the one that was his putter. The other DX Stud was not close to his approach DX Gator in colors.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 09-13-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:34 PM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
XT was too much like the old DX that he feared would get slick like old stiff 2000's DX did, also one of the few that likes the modern DX over the old Stiff DX for discs. He loves the new Stud putter once he changed his putting power/speed to the basket. Was lucky when I bought the discs and they had a disc in the exact colors of his DX Gator, the one that was his putter.
The new XT in the Bullfrog is good stuff, vastly superior to DX. The XT Bullfrog I got is suspiciously close to the Nexus plastic in my Firefly.

A run of Studs in that good XT or Nexus plastic would be awesome. I'd stock up and have enough for the rest of my DG career, and probably never go back to the Star Stud...

Old 09-13-2019, 08:22 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 740 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
The new XT in the Bullfrog is good stuff, vastly superior to DX. The XT Bullfrog I got is suspiciously close to the Nexus plastic in my Firefly.

A run of Studs in that good XT or Nexus plastic would be awesome. I'd stock up and have enough for the rest of my DG career, and probably never go back to the Star Stud...
Yeah I hope they make an XT Stud even if low/limited production run. Stiff non R Pro, Pro would also be nice to have for the disc.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Niced 813 Times in 371 Posts

I was stoked when DGU let me add the Stud to my Undead series of stamps... I've been throwing the XT version and LOVING it! They are in Star plastic too... but Star plastic isn't my personal top choice for putters & mids

Old 09-24-2019, 10:04 PM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
I was stoked when DGU let me add the Stud to my Undead series of stamps... I've been throwing the XT version and LOVING it! They are in Star plastic too... but Star plastic isn't my personal top choice for putters & mids

Hey, see if you can get them to run some Nexus Studs with your stamp. I know I'll buy a few (or a bunch).

Old 09-24-2019, 10:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Niced 813 Times in 371 Posts

Quote:
Hey, see if you can get them to run some Nexus Studs with your stamp. I know I'll buy a few (or a bunch).
Now THAT is a great idea! I’ll be hanging out with DGU during USDGC... I’ll mention it to them and see where it goes.
I never would have thought they’d make a KC Mako3 but they did. I hope they go for this one, too!