Old 09-14-2019, 08:23 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 201 Times in 153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpleute View Post
Does anyone have experience with this particular one or other throwing nets? I'm thinking of getting one for my garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I've never played a round of ball golf in my life
Say what?!?!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2019, 09:13 AM

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3 Times in 1 Post

I have one of those nets. It works great so far. Fast and easy setup/takedown. Sets up in my garage or basement and can have some practice when the weather isn't so good.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:55 PM
Par Member

Niced 20 Times in 18 Posts

Hi guys.

So after my mini meltdown of confidence (in part due to working full time + getting my business off the ground) I took some time off to re-evaluate my swing thoughts completely. Something wasnt right.

I re-watched a lot of material and it came to me during the slash thru video (.thanks machete22)

I believe I had been thinking about the throw in terms of a pull motion and I was way off, I still thought that you could create leverage this way but I was very very wrong. I thought about re-directing the weight and what I would need to do for that, I also thought about SPs comments on my blasting from the shoulder problem. I combined the two and some takeaways from Olympic hammer throw and started rotating on the spot. Then with a disc in my hand. I finally felt what I believe is the hit. I guess I never felt it before because I tried my old style and nothing was there (well, barely).

I then combined this new motion into what Ive learned so far, shifting my weight onto my plant from behind to start the pressing of momentum into rotation. The disc felt heavy and laggy as it ripped out of my hand. Im thinking holy sh** that was awesome. Ok, lets try it with a loose arm. Even more power! Sweet!

So I could be totally wrong but I think I at least figured something major out, the floppy arm swing though revelation. I took it to the course and threw an eMac truth further than Ive thrown a fairway driver on my first drive.

My balance is out of whack and my set up is a little wonky but hopefully Im on the right track now. Thanks guys!

When I figured it out; 50% power

https://youtu.be/CW4N5jTtJwk

Today, trying to get to the pocket better; 70%

https://youtu.be/k8RmL5QZxoQ

Old 09-20-2019, 02:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Nice, that looks way better! I can see in your pre-swings that you're feeling that arc where the disc wants to continue out, and then you're getting to the same spot in those throws.

That's awesome when you see a mid crush on a line that looks like a fairway driver. Definitely shows you're throwing way more efficiently like this.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-20-2019, 02:49 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parbequeue View Post

Today, trying to get to the pocket better; 70%

https://youtu.be/k8RmL5QZxoQ
Some seriously great progress!

So getting to the "power pocket" is not going to be a conscious thing. It's a thing that simply "happens" when you allow lag to happen and that's probably going to be through loosening up the arm muscles.

Here's me from yesterday getting my hand to the outside of the disc. I can tell you I was thinking nothing about where my hand was on the disc or even about where my arm was. I simply kept the arm loose and powered with the body (in my case, just the upper body basically).

Here's nikko doing things better than I ever will

Old 09-20-2019, 02:57 PM
Eagle Member

Looks like you are activating the arm a little too early still. Once you delay that a little longer you'll get deeper into the "power pocket".

Old 09-20-2019, 03:59 PM
Par Member

Thanks fellas it feels REALLLY good haha.

Looking forward to implementing just about everything weve previously discussed to get results! I feel like this was really holding me back from almost all the concepts.

UN; gotcha on the pocket, so its literally just that lag? Now I have to figure out the turbo encabulator. My strong arming willl take some time to kill off but now I feel on the right path. So stoked!
Old 09-20-2019, 04:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

I'm really not a fan of the power pocket term either. Just try to keep that heavy pulling feeling of the disc during the whole throw, while being aware that it's ok for your forearm to get lagged back. On video after you'll see that "power pocket" position. It's something that's easy to see in footage from any good thrower, but it's just that lagged position. I like to think of trying to get to a "launch position" instead, to then pull out of. This launch position is like 6-12" farther forward than the classic power pocket picture we think of, and much easier to feel when it's right.

I really think that getting to or creating the power pocket is a very destructive thing that most players are trying to emulate. At least for me it has been.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:12 PM
Eagle Member

Yeah it looks like a really weak position too so its confusing. It's only a strong position because of is happening before with the transfer of energy. Can't see acceleration in an image.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:14 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
I'm really not a fan of the power pocket term either. Just try to keep that heavy pulling feeling of the disc during the whole throw, while being aware that it's ok for your forearm to get lagged back. On video after you'll see that "power pocket" position. It's something that's easy to see in footage from any good thrower, but it's just that lagged position. I like to think of trying to get to a "launch position" instead, to then pull out of. This launch position is like 6-12" farther forward than the classic power pocket picture we think of, and much easier to feel when it's right.

I really think that getting to or creating the power pocket is a very destructive thing that most players are trying to emulate. At least for me it has been.
No word of a lie its been holding me back for over two years. Like you all said to me in the past its not about trying to get into these positions (forcibly) its doing the right feeling thing to get there. Im excited to show my friends this too.