Old 09-16-2019, 10:29 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 165
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 449 Times in 202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
She could have. But remember that to do so costs a stroke. Assuming she knew the rule and remembered it, she still had to decide if backing up and then throwing one shot (2 strokes) would have been an advantage over throwing from her original lie and then throwing a second shot (2 strokes).
If she was already OB there is no additional penalty for taking relief on the line of play. You don't have to take two penalty strokes if you go OB, just the one for going OB.

If the previous throw was not OB then yes, you would have to take an extra penalty stroke for taking optional relief.

Caveat: I have not watched this yet so I don't know if the throw went OB.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 09-16-2019, 10:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,285 Times in 751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
If she was already OB there is no additional penalty for taking relief on the line of play. You don't have to take two penalty strokes if you go OB, just the one for going OB.

If the previous throw was not OB then yes, you would have to take an extra penalty stroke for taking optional relief.

Caveat: I have not watched this yet so I don't know if the throw went OB.
Not Sure that it was Paige. .BUT quite a few players went OB at that spot and i never saw anyone use the "line of play" rule
But OB at that spot just made them pitch out, so using the rule could have saved a stroke

I can really see this rule to be a big advantage to use in quite a few cases
Old 09-16-2019, 11:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,577 Times in 1,493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
Not Sure that it was Paige. .BUT quite a few players went OB at that spot and i never saw anyone use the "line of play" rule
But OB at that spot just made them pitch out, so using the rule could have saved a stroke

I can really see this rule to be a big advantage to use in quite a few cases
And this is why I have always preached that a good working knowledge of the rule book is as important to being a good player as having a reliable forehand or turnover or overhand or roller (take your pick). The more well rounded you are, the better player you can be.

Knowing the rules and taking advantage of them when opportunities come up is no different than throwing a forehand through a tight gap when the alternative is a backhanded pitch-out to the fairway. It's available to anyone, it's up to the player to have the skill and execute it. Ignorance of the rules only hurts you as a player.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:44 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 7
Niced 10 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
But we have no idea if she even have social anxiety, we just trying to "excuse" her sometimes odd behavior?
I scored one of her rounds at the Idlewild Open. I've never met her before and had only seen her on Videos up to that point. My experience with her was very good. She was a professional and pleasnt to speak with. She had an OB that was questionable and without going into details, I believe she handled it quite well. That being said, I don't think her coming to the scoring tent is that big of a deal. She had a bad tourney (for her) and she didn't act the way most of you think she should have. Who knows why she acted the way she did. It's none of our business. She didn't break any rules. I love all the armchair Quarterbacks who want to dis her for this. This is how she makes her living. She had a rough day at the office. Get over it.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 670 Times in 365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddL View Post
Others already answered it, but here it is in the rulebook:

https://www.pdga.com/rules/official-...isc-golf/80205
The line of play is the imaginary line on the playing surface extending from the center of the target through and beyond the center of the marker disc.

Also accessible from the index: https://www.pdga.com/rules/official-...olf/appendix-e
My kinda guy. I try to ALWAYS answer rules questions with a link. Even if I paraphrase it first to a simpler format. Leaves zero chance of incorrect second hand information to keep floating around.

"Well, a guy on the interner told me that so and so"
Old 09-16-2019, 05:57 PM
Par Member

Niced 68 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
What does this even mean? Way too many "philosophers" "psychologists" and "experts" posting on DGCR nowadays.
Projecting you're own flaws onto others. When you dislike something strongly in someone, you probably carry that trait yourself.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:45 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 144
Niced 277 Times in 166 Posts

Quote:
Kind of odd in a way that your rating depends on how the other players are doing, i can think a 62 is a 62
But i do understand why it have to be that way
You have to keep in mind what a rating is. A lot of people misinterpret a rating as a measure of your skill level related to the course. Your rating is produced in part thanks to your skill level relative to the course, but that isn't what the rating is. A rating is a measure of how you play relative to the rest of the golfers on a given day/given conditions. Your rating specifically depends on how other players are doing, and is nothing more or less than that.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 670 Times in 365 Posts

Yeah man. Lets say I could redesign my local pitch&putt course to have tons of super punitive OB, get dozens of 1000+ rated players that dont know where the OB is, get a early teetime in pristine conditions whereas a hurricane magically appears for the top dogs... Just maybe, even I could break 1000

Niced: (1)
Old 09-17-2019, 02:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
You have to keep in mind what a rating is. A lot of people misinterpret a rating as a measure of your skill level related to the course. Your rating is produced in part thanks to your skill level relative to the course, but that isn't what the rating is. A rating is a measure of how you play relative to the rest of the golfers on a given day/given conditions. Your rating specifically depends on how other players are doing, and is nothing more or less than that.
In other words, the best way to get a high rating is to give all your competitors food poisoning. Hamburger anyone? No really, I was happy to cook...

Old 09-17-2019, 02:29 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 112
Niced 273 Times in 133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
My question would be why is it this way? As an example, if you are 950, McBeth is 1050, and I am 850 and we play same tourney, same tees. We all shoot 54. If that's the best or close to the best score in the round, it'll probably be rated 1050. The next tourney McBeth isn't there, and you're 950 is the highest in the field. Again, we both shoot 54. It'll be about 950. In golf if I shoot 72 on a course rated 70.8, it's going to be a 1 handicap...no matter who else played that day. Aren't we all playing against the course, and not the field????