Old 09-16-2019, 09:38 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 162 Times in 98 Posts
Default I broke my non-throwing shoulder

9 days ago, I broke my non-throwing shoulder. I thought it was just a bad sprain (I fell onto it but when I got up, I couldn't lift my arm). It didn't hurt, I just couldn't move my arm up in front of me. I went to work a couple days and finally went to see the doctor and found out that my shoulder (specifically the greater tuberosity of my humerus) was fractured right about where one of the rotator cuffs attaches. I went to an orthopedic who had me go get a CT scan on it to determine if surgery is required. This was last Friday. Again, it only hurts if I try to move it (which I still can't lift it at all) I go back to the ortho day after tomorrow to find out the results of the CT scan.

Anyone here ever do something similar? If so, did you play at all during the recovery? I can throw flicks all day without pain but I'm capped at about 150'. 200' sometimes gives me a sting because I have to untwist my trunk a bit. I'm really bummed because I was playing the best I'd been playing and now I'm finding that depending on what happens, recovery might take up to a year...

Anyway, not looking for sympathy, just looking for folks who might have tried to get through something similar and anecdotal suggestions for a return back to the disc golf scene...
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2019, 09:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.6
Courses Played: 95
Niced 884 Times in 340 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

I destroyed my left shoulder years ago. I had to sleep in a recliner for 3 months because lying down was too painful. So mine was much worse. I still can't lift my left arm above horizontal and that is a bit of a strain.

For playing thru that I would ask your physical therapist. Mine always told me pain was OK as long as it went away right away.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,211 Times in 2,235 Posts

It might not have been worse, if he's not feeling any pain there might be nerve damage also. That isn't good...
Old 09-16-2019, 10:37 PM
Eagle Member

Ah, there's pain, but only when it gets touched or moved or if I try to move it. I also have to sleep sitting up. If I hadn't gotten all that practice over the years doing that while watching TV, I'd complain more
Old 09-16-2019, 10:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

I broke that area of my left arm/shoulder many years ago mountain biking. Far before I knew about disc golf, so I can't comment on that part from direct experience...but I don't think I would have been able to do much other than FH upshots and putting. I had my arm in a sling and I think eventually harder FH shots would be fine, but I definitely understand why you're capped below 200' like that. I would be most worried about slipping, because you can't put that arm out but your brain will try to and that hurts. That's a concern both during throws, and also if you're carrying a bag around and it starts to get into that muddy fall time of year where you can take a random spill.

I'd use the downtime to get really good at putting and upshots if you're itching to keep playing. Just don't risk hurting yourself worse by suddenly tweaking that off arm during higher intensity throws.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:46 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
I would be most worried about slipping, because you can't put that arm out but your brain will try to and that hurts. That's a concern both during throws, and also if you're carrying a bag around and it starts to get into that muddy fall time of year where you can take a random spill.
Honestly, that's what's been spooking me the most. I think I would keep my throws to a level of comfort, but it's the random slip...
I have my arm in a sling, but I was thinking that if I actually did go try to play, I'd kind of strap my arm/sling a little tighter to my body, but even so, a fall is a fall, and falling on the shoulder itself is just dumb. :/
Old 09-16-2019, 11:36 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 994 Times in 652 Posts

Good luck healing man, I’ve had partial tears in both rotator cuffs and it’s rough.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:49 PM

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 20
Niced 7 Times in 5 Posts

I dislocated my off shoulder a number of years ago. I was in a sling for a month and then it was another 6 months or so before I could do anything athletic beyond jogging. I wasn't able to throw anywhere near full power for about a year. I actually stopped playing for the most part before getting back into it a few years later.

That said, I did not do a good job keeping up with the physical therapy so I theoretically could have been ready to go sooner if I did.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Just to add, in my case it was just the fracture and I didn't need surgery because the bones were still aligned/compressed together fine. There was just some grinding of scar tissue in the shoulder after I was able to move the arm around again. Essentially I just had a lot of muscle atrophy and had to do all the physio stuff to get back strength and make sure I felt comfortable with range of motion.

I lost a little bit of range of motion like if I lay on my stomach with my arm above my head, my shoulder does not touch down because I can't quite get my arm all the way extended outward. This doesn't bother me at all in everyday life or any sports I play.

Hopefully it's a similar thing for you. I just didn't want to risk anything weird happening by pushing any sports too soon. One of the most painful things I did while I was already in the sling, was trying to catch something that was falling off a counter instinctively with my broken arm. So it's not just if you fall or slip or something and avoiding hitting the shoulder/arm, it's making your brain so used to your situation that you don't try to use it in a sudden way. And then after the sling is gone, not doing everyday tasks funny because you're used to only having one arm.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,782 Times in 1,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post
and falling on the shoulder itself is just dumb. :/
Not from my experience.