Old 07-14-2016, 04:52 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 45
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Trusted Disc Reviewer?

Hi All,

Been out of the game for a few years now and I'm finally back to playing! What I've noticed is that in the last 3-4 years a TON of new discs are on the market. Are there any unbiased and trustworthy folks out there just reviewing new discs? Maybe a YouTube account or blog?

I was looking at the Innova catalog for 2016 and it nearly broke my brain, so many new discs, and that is just one company! I mostly stick to the simple staples of Wizard, Rocs and Teebirds but I'm really curious about some of the new gear out there. Can't just buy one of everything

I know that everyone throws with a different style and power level but it seems like someone would be doing just that, reviewing as many discs as possible as they come out.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers!
Jim
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2016, 05:06 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,151 Times in 1,584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnecessary View Post
Hi All,

Been out of the game for a few years now and I'm finally back to playing! What I've noticed is that in the last 3-4 years a TON of new discs are on the market. Are there any unbiased and trustworthy folks out there just reviewing new discs? Maybe a YouTube account or blog?

I was looking at the Innova catalog for 2016 and it nearly broke my brain, so many new discs, and that is just one company! I mostly stick to the simple staples of Wizard, Rocs and Teebirds but I'm really curious about some of the new gear out there. Can't just buy one of everything

I know that everyone throws with a different style and power level but it seems like someone would be doing just that, reviewing as many discs as possible as they come out.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers!
Jim
Infinite Discs has user reviews which are varied but overall give good information on the discs. Other sites like Noodle Arm Disc Golf give reviews, and there's a number of video/YouTube reviewers out there.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 208 Times in 131 Posts

All Things Disc Golf used to review a lot of the new discs with a variety of power levels from throwers. I haven't checked out their site in awhile, but they were decent reviews to cover a range of throwing power.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:22 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 993 Times in 651 Posts

Infinate is the best place to see a wide range of largely unbiased reviews. I post a to. On there so it must be good lol.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 10
Niced 57 Times in 43 Posts

The "is this disc right" series on YouTube with Eric McCabe is pretty good for the trilogy stuff. The flight guide from Marshall St is pretty good. Just keep in mind anything you will probably find online will get you in the ballpark, and like you said it is relative.

Still absolutely nothing wrong with the classics
Old 07-14-2016, 06:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 83 Times in 74 Posts

'AllThingsDiscGolf'...and AIM maybe
Old 07-14-2016, 06:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 183
Niced 669 Times in 444 Posts

Infinite ratings are useful. I think I've benefited from coming on here to see what people like. Sometimes a disc has tons of supporters but will also have some naysayers. I say if a disc has enough people throwing it and supporting it, there's probably no problem picking that one if it strikes your fancy.

I've tried a couple discs on here based on forums here: Envy, Pure, Relay, Comet, Zone, Polecat, PD, Patriot. I haven't totally clicked with the Envy or Patriot yet, but I don't regret the purchases.

And... just because a disc is new doesn't mean it's better than the classics. Start with those wizards, rocs, and teebirds, and see what gaps you want to fill.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:55 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 20
Niced 37 Times in 35 Posts

Infinite is good, or post here and ask questions. We will give you good answers once we get tired of being snarky.

"Is this disc right for you" is pretty useless imo. You do get to see discs in flight which is good, but %85 of disc golfers are not near the skill level of Eric, nor are they anywhere near as bad as Bobby.

Also Bobby needs to stop referring to himself by that nickname. I'm not sure who started calling him cool daddy slick breeze but I always envision a horrible sharting accident on a critical putt that lead to a slip and fall into a cold river.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,076 Times in 538 Posts

Jim, I was as overwhelmed as you are when I took about 2 years off and came back to it early this season.

The great thing is, that I'm sure you were throwing stuff that is still very relevant. Take your time trying out new stuff. I never dropped judges, pds, or fds from my bag, and added an older disc too (the xxx) There is some interesting new stuff out there, but very, very few things that I've seen as 'must have' or game changing in any way really. Disc golf is still disc golf, and the tools you play with won't be all that different no matter what you change.

I will say, that since you love rocs, definitely try the ghost. The flight/feel is very similar and the plastics are better across the range, imo.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 83 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Eater View Post
Infinite is good, or post here and ask questions. We will give you good answers once we get tired of being snarky.

"Is this disc right for you" is pretty useless imo. You do get to see discs in flight which is good, but %85 of disc golfers are not near the skill level of Eric, nor are they anywhere near as bad as Bobby.

Also Bobby needs to stop referring to himself by that nickname. I'm not sure who started calling him cool daddy slick breeze but I always envision a horrible sharting accident on a critical putt that lead to a slip and fall into a cold river.
lol, love it!