Old 11-04-2017, 06:12 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 3
Niced 69 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepi View Post
and keep my hips closed longer?
you're right there. crush the can drill should help. get you weight on you heel BEFORE you rotate. you're opening up early as of that drill video.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2017, 01:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,785 Times in 1,714 Posts

Your leg action is eerily similar to BillyJacko. It's like you are tipping your balance and trying to catch yourself instead of dynamically maintaining your balance while falling upright into a squat or more compressed athletic position. Also appears you are trying to stride too far and shift your weight too far, which makes your shift less efficient and fizzle out at the end instead of speeding your weight up to the front side by making your stride more compact/shorter and efficient.

Keep in mind this is a drill, it should not be done with a towel whip, it should be done slow and in control and in balance. I strongly advise against doing drills in bare feet - practice like you play - with shoes on! Also highly recommend watching vids in post #8 a few more times.

Frame 1. Your front foot/leg is too backwards striding and then it turns clockwise into the plant because your stride is too long/far forward to catch yourself from behind you. Your feet also separate well ahead of your knees because your leg is backwards instead of more lateral/sideways.

Note how my chin stays more stacked right over the rear ankle as I fall/drop into more squatted athletic but still upright position with forward spine tilt/shoulders compressed towards knee, and leading stride hips first with leg more lateral/sideways.

Frame 2. Power zone. Your center of mass is stuck between your two feet because you stride/tip so far over and can't make it balanced on the front side, and also your rear arm is behind your back instead of pinning your body into the front side. Your elbow barely makes it to your ankle before it begins extending and the shoulder is not leveraged forward.

Note how much more compact and efficient my stride is so my whole front side is stacked right up ankle, knee, hip, and shoulder so everything pivots centered the front side axis with rear arm pinning into brace . Also note how all my weight is leverage behind the forward arm across the axis.

Frame 3. Your spine is tilted back in a reverse pivot and neither head nor shoulders make it forward over your front foot, and shoulders only make to square to target. Your hips don't make it squared to target and rear leg is almost facing the camera and getting ready to take your weight back.

Note how my spine is tilted forward and braced and balanced through the tilted spiral rotation and looks just like One Leg Drill. My left shoulder has come over the front foot and shoulders rotated inline to target instead of only squared. My hips are squared to target and rear leg is more facing the target instead of the camera, so it all rotated through after driving the weight forward.

Should be able to bump your hip into the wall moving hip back and forth an inch or two with all your weight force going into the wall and shake the house.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-14-2017, 02:15 PM
Par Member

Niced 20 Times in 15 Posts

Got to finally throw some discs for a while. Been lately trying to get that rear hand close to body and it seems better now, could be tighter I guess?

Back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGfpArIh0KA

Front:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_S-1j6XjMw

Also trying to slow down my "run up" a bit as you suggested quite a while ago already. Where should the rear leg toes be pointing at plant?

Biggest issue is still probably that my butt is not leading the way it should? Have to figure a spot to work on that Hershyzer with shoes on.

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2017, 02:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepi View Post
Got to finally throw some discs for a while. Been lately trying to get that rear hand close to body and it seems better now, could be tighter I guess?

Back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGfpArIh0KA

Front:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_S-1j6XjMw

Also trying to slow down my "run up" a bit as you suggested quite a while ago already. Where should the rear leg toes be pointing at plant?

Biggest issue is still probably that my butt is not leading the way it should? Have to figure a spot to work on that Hershyzer with shoes on.

Thanks!
First pic as feet separate - Your front leg is too backwards striding from the Hershyzer and leading with your front foot/heel ahead of your butt as your feet separate. Note how lateral Simon is here with front leg upright knee right over ankle during the stride and leading with the butt. You want your feet and knees separating basically at the same time/distance. Your feet are separating way before your knees as you are too backward and your balance is changing/tipping back instead of striding everything forward together upright in balance.

Second pic at heel strike - Your rear foot is still weighted down on the ground. Both feet should never be weighted down simultaneously. Your rear toes should be pivoting to point straight down at the ground at this point after crushing the can. You have not made any move/stride off your rear foot yet and is way too late. Note how Simon has accelerated off the rear foot and his shin is angled forward so his rear knee swivels under the hip. Simon is pulling the Door Frame with all his weight and you can see his front shoulder is closer to his rear knee than yours, so he is wound up like a spring and just ready to automatically uncork everything as the heel plants - boom!

Niced: (1)
Old 11-26-2017, 11:08 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Force=m*a.

So just using some rudimentary math concepts if only the mass of your arm is coupled with the acceleration, then your force to the disc=1200N=20lbs*60mph. Alternatively your force to the disc=10,000N =200lbs*50mph. So you are better off giving up 10mph arm speed to apply more force to the disc. This is where arm speed really means nothing until you already are using all your mass.
Was lurking other post and came across this, is this basically what is limiting me most at the moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfkcpETrzw0

That shift of mine is late rear hip turns in after I've started the pull and the arm swings first and all my weight comes late to the impact zone? Dunno how to fix that but understanding the reason is first step I guess.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Yes, you are only using your arm in that. Need to shift your weight off your feet and then turn your hips/torso much further back and forth with your arm/disc, make your swing longer centered on either leg. Let gravity and the weight of the hammer do the work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnhM5amro0&t=2m20s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu4CzVnITlo&t=5m56s
Old 11-29-2017, 03:24 PM
Par Member

Update from today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8lpzflMiYM

Can't really see progress in this, still going backwards into hit.

Something feels to be connecting better tho, because for the first time I feel like that pull isn't totally one-piece thing. It feels like the disc first comes to chest and I can actually accelerate from there, also don't feel like I'm putting so much effort into my throws as earlier and still seem to get same force if not more.

This stride is probably the thing that I'm most disappointed in atm. Should I try to keep my eyes to the target little longer, because now I turn my head back early and it turns my whole body backwards into the hit?

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2017, 04:45 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 3
Niced 69 Times in 45 Posts

Def leaning back in backswing. and probably not getting elbow forward early enough.
You certainly have made progress from your first video i must say. could work on reverse plant too. not just the front foot, but the hips

Capture1.JPG

Capture.JPG
Old 11-29-2017, 06:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Yes look forward during the x-step, should help your balance remain more forward and then turn back later as you plant. As Lucas mentioned you are leaning back away from the target during the x-step and also finishing leaning back with your body facing the target, you should end up more sideways to the target with your left elbow pointed at the target in the finish so rotated about 90 degree more in the finish. I'd also recommend going slower in the x-step so you can accelerate faster through the hit into the finish.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:55 AM
Par Member

Although there's tons of work to be done with my backhand form, I think I should finally try to put some time into my forehand. It's so bad I basically never use it unless there's nothing else.

https://youtu.be/JLo1RcZ71HY

Sometimes get them to fly clean, but mostly quite wobbly. Not sure is my grip ok, can post picture later. Keeping my middle finger against inside the rim and pointer finger ontop of that.

Thanks in advance!