Old 12-04-2017, 12:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

It looks like you are completely isolating your arm and doing a flingy thing with it...trying to get a loose whip with only the arm. Check out this thread to see how the shoulders and upper arm should feel. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum....php?p=3219177

I would use discs like slightly overstable midranges to stable-slightly overstable fairways for learning forehands...I'm thinking things like a Verdict, Teebird, FD, Thunderbird at most. These discs will be slow and glidey enough to reward a clean throw so you don't have to kill it, but have enough speed that you can use a real forehand form on them. I like flicking putters and neutral mids, but I can't leverage them the same way without worrying about them handling it every time. But if you have issues with getting a clean release, then I do recommend practicing little 50-125' snappy flicks with putters and mids so that you can trust the clean finish of the throwing motion.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2017, 01:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,786 Times in 1,715 Posts

^ Yeah, that's all arm disconnected from the body. Your body is barely moving/turning back and forth and no follow through with a lean back at the hit. Your shoulders/hips/body are what should bring the arm/disc back and forth in backswing and forward swing. Start your backswing with your elbow basically locked forward of the shoulders and let the lower arm swing back and forth. I'd also start with a slightly narrower stance/upright and take a small stride.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:33 PM
Par Member

Niced 20 Times in 15 Posts

Faced a little problem with that lower arm whip since there's been some aches to elbow today. Back in the day dislocated both shoulders several times playing bandy and those didn't affect playing that sport really so didn't give any attention to them. However I believe those dislocations caused some harm to rotator cuffs and probably built some tissue around my shoulders, which could be why mobility in there is so bad atm. Took a photo to compare a little:

https://imgur.com/a/oRUyk

That's basically the max stretch I can give it, that's where the "back elbow" starts to say don't go further.
Gladly didn't cause any damage with those throws the other day, just have to give some rest to it now and start working on mobility. Untill then think I can still work on forehand, just have to limit the range of motion my lower arm does, basically little flicks, even 60-70m forehand that I could rely on will help me on local courses alot.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:41 PM
Par Member

"aches to shoulder" and "back shoulder" I meant, always mix elbow and shoulder
Old 12-05-2017, 05:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Can you get your elbow forward of where it is in that picture 1-2", so that the right shoulder to elbow/upper arm angle is about 10 degrees forward? In comparison to the 0 degree shoulder to elbow you have now. Pretty much lock your shoulder to upper arm angle at this position, and let the weight of the disc/momentum pull your hand and forearm back during the swing while you are rotating your shoulders all as one unit. Or are you unable to let the disc pull the forearm back and this is the rotation/load that causes pain? From the video of your FH shot you posted you have enough forearm load capability it seems to get a decent snappy shot if you can keep your shoulders/upper arm as a unit that will get loaded up from the hips in a connected way.

Of course you need to do what causes the least strain and take it carefully. But the more connected and leveraged your positions are, the less likely I would imagine some sort of issue will be. I hope....
Old 12-05-2017, 06:29 PM
Par Member

Yea excactly as you said that lower arm load causes the pain. Can get my elbow forward but that also moves my hand/disc forward the same amount.
In that video the weight of the disc was sort forcing my hand further back than shoulder was ready to go. Have to work on keeping that elbow forward and not letting the lower arm get too much behind with easy throws. Hopefully in future with lots of stretching and rotator cuff strenght training I could get the lower arm further back and get bigger leverage from there.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Watch this video, or at least the throwing parts of it...you don't need to emulate exactly how they throw, I don't agree with a lot of the little things, but for me it was eye opening in how to just pop a slow disc like this. Keep in mind their goal is to get around defenders, in disc golf the goal is consistency. You can do this to focus on a clean snappy finish with putters and neutral mids to get throws 50-125' pretty easily once you're confident. I would focus on this part of the throw since it shouldn't put strain on your arm, then when you have that snap/release in a confident manner you can go back to the shoulder swing and see if it works out for you getting a bit more leverage before the snap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgUyW5aGC2U

Last edited by slowplastic; 12-05-2017 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,786 Times in 1,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepi View Post
Faced a little problem with that lower arm whip since there's been some aches to elbow today. Back in the day dislocated both shoulders several times playing bandy and those didn't affect playing that sport really so didn't give any attention to them. However I believe those dislocations caused some harm to rotator cuffs and probably built some tissue around my shoulders, which could be why mobility in there is so bad atm. Took a photo to compare a little:

https://imgur.com/a/oRUyk

That's basically the max stretch I can give it, that's where the "back elbow" starts to say don't go further.
Gladly didn't cause any damage with those throws the other day, just have to give some rest to it now and start working on mobility. Untill then think I can still work on forehand, just have to limit the range of motion my lower arm does, basically little flicks, even 60-70m forehand that I could rely on will help me on local courses alot.
Your elbow is down next to your hip. Raise your elbow up and out and slightly forward away from your hip closer to shoulder height(elbow about nipple height) - supinate your palm up. Your lower arm should be about inline with the rest of your arm doing this without throwing.

Unless you are actually throwing with a disc your hand might be forward of your elbow or inline, it's only after lag/load from the backswing to the forward swing that the elbow leads the hand/disc forward.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:22 PM
Par Member

Shoulder been little sore still, was supposed to do some putting but since discs start to freeze into hand I decided to flick couple forehands really carefully and go home. Sorry about the bad video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpBT858OEA0

Have to work on activating my wrist more, should fix some of the wobble I guess. You talk about supinating and pronating hand and compensating that by bending from the waist. By throwing more stable discs and learning the release points you become consistent with that over time?

Old 12-07-2017, 04:55 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 202 Times in 154 Posts

In my limited experience I usually get OAT when I'm not gripping the disc correctly, more specifically, not keeping pressure on the disc with my thumb and throwing fingers (usually index and middle for most people). Throwing understable discs makes you more consistent than more stable discs. Anyone can forehand an OS disc and get it to fly ok, not many people have the hyzer flip sidearm dialed. If you can throw a hyzer flip sidearm (that doesn't turn and burn) you've fixed the OAT. If you are practicing with putters/mids make sure they don't have a bead. Most people don't like beads for FH.

Last edited by UhhNegative; 12-07-2017 at 04:57 PM.