Old 12-07-2017, 06:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,785 Times in 1,714 Posts

Turn your body/shoulders to bring your arm back and forth.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2017, 11:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Yeah I was going to suggest that video that SW linked. Really feel how to set up your hips to leverage against the log in that swing. It will give you an anchor to swing against through the whole swing.

Also your forearm and disc are on different angles slightly. If you were to try to do a flat release in the same manner, the disc would be level with the ground but your forearm would be tilted upwards a bit, above your elbow. Make sure that the disc and forearm are 100% aligned, if not you will get torque because the forearm angle is your swing plane and the disc must match it.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:12 AM
Par Member

Niced 20 Times in 15 Posts

Great stuff, now that I think about it, always when the disc have come out clean I've pinched it little harder.

Have to look into that forearm and disc angle aswell, thanks!

Found a old video from 2014 when I used to play ball golf and now that I look into it, I was able to leverage everything against my front leg pretty good, must be why I could hit the ball miles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jJyZ86OePdU

Translating this to throwing feels so hard since there's no club, just the arm. But visualising that feeling could atleast help my forehand I believe.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:39 AM
* Ace Member *

^Nice, get that same hip shift and leverage, push off the rear instep, and you'll have a ton of easy to access power on your forehand. Even just feel it on a similar swing plane, and then it can be easily brought up to a flatter release angle with a disc. You may have to start with a more closed stance with a FH shot to feel the leverage in a similar way but release where you want.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:41 AM
Par Member

Back in business as weather is starting to warm up (Beatifull -3 degree spring day today).

That forearm project will have to wait as practising it is causing too much trouble with shoulder. I feel comfortable flicking 50 meters with it so that's enough for now.

Been using all my time on putting basically during these cold months and now I feel my driving is weakest link.

Some backhands from todays field work:

Front
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jijoKjB12wM

Back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1wt3BihRP0

Focused on trying to not go into plant not leading with the heel and keeping that rear leg from not pointing backwards, not sure am I focusing on right things. I don't quite feel the same leverage as I do when hitting golf- or bandy ball, tried to work on it with this kind drill:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppZ9smHvC0w

Also, this turf feels quite sticky, not sure is it healthy for knees? Sadly only place that is not covered in ice here.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Ok I know exactly what you're doing. I've had that type of form/shift in the past.

You're trying to shift in front still, but stop your body with a brace. It feels like you're colliding with the front leg/femur/hip and it's stopping you somewhat instantly at some point during the throw. You "need" pretty grippy ground to not blow through the foot, but then when it's ultra grippy like that turf it feels like there is too much resistance and it's almost dangerous.

You can really see the shift in front in your second video. You turn back in the backswing but then drive the left hip around the plant, to the left side, and the spine starts tilting to the right. Your angles get all out of whack because you're trying to keep your spine on plane but the left hip/side is going in front/around the brace, while trying to keep the left foot countering the throw.

Keep in mind that if you set up correctly, everything will just "work". You should not feel like you are fighting your own body at any point. Your momentum in the follow through will release around the brace and upwards, you won't feel any pressure in the leg or hip. No real impact stopping you, momentum will just release easily and in balance.

I would recommend the one leg drill to make sure you are set up upright. So that your spine is balanced on the front hip. And you feel your body clear in balance. This will show you that there should be no torque on your knee. Do not try to resist the throw with your foot/toes in the ground. You should be in balance and your stacked posture will keep you upright until the throw/follow through pulls you around.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-15-2018, 02:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Also this thread may help you. I'm not 100% sure though because you aren't anchored/shifting from behind yet, but also just concentrating on the flow of this drill may help you zone out and feel the balance instead.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=130165
Old 03-15-2018, 02:50 PM
Par Member

Thanks! That's excactly what I feel like.

Gonna have to watch that video million times and get that setup fixed, because it's a massive power loss it's causing.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,785 Times in 1,714 Posts

Practice on concrete. Scrap the x-step. You are bent over out of balance/posture during it, reminds me way too much of BillyJacko. Need to stay more upright in athletic posture. Watch how your head tilts over in the finish, so your axis of rotation is swaying around and you are not able to perpetuate around and around on a tight tilted spiral.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Yeah it's all about having a straight spine at an athletic angle. The lower back is the base of the spine. That is what you must concentrate on moving to the front leg. If your lower spine gets shifted to the front hip, which will feel like lower back being leveraged to the plant leg, then the whole spine will be in line for the rest of the throw in a dynamic one leg type throw. This is what I mean by it will just "work". If the spine is straight and it's balanced on the front leg then everything will rotate cleanly. You'll have some tilt, but just don't bend/angle the spine relative to itself.

The brace should not feel like an impact. The more my form improves the less I worry about ground that's not perfect for traction. I still need good traction, but I don't worry about my foot just blowing out before I've even thrown if the ground isn't perfect.