#1  
Old 07-17-2018, 12:59 PM
Alexplz's Avatar
Alexplz Alexplz is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 1,485
Niced 512 Times in 329 Posts
Default US/N Control Drivers

Hey dudes,

Most recently my control driver slot has been filled with Teebirds, but I am not sure that I want to beat DX teebs all the way into the N/US slot. I really like the controllable "flip n fly" shot and need something to cover the whole spectrum, from a click below a star teebird all the way down to a click above an underworld.

What is everyone's favorite neutral/understable control driver? Keep in mind that I throw fast fairways/slow distance drivers (mostly escapes) for distance, so really speed 6-7 would be best I think. That being said, I'm considering bagging a Fury for this shot as they actually seem incredibly slow for a 1.9cm rim.

FDs are cool, but the lack of consistent availability is a turn off. TL could be part of the equation, but they aren't flippy enough to fill the whole spectrum. Leopards are a perennial favorite - name a mold that better exemplifies the advantages of every plastic type... 2x champ is beefy AF, pro is amazing, DX works fine thanks to the relatively blunt and sturdy rim. I don't have as much experience with the leo3, and as I said pro leopards are half the reason I would consider the mold at all. Other than that, I've been considering some GYRO too, as I really like the 1.65cm rim speed class.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-17-2018, 01:06 PM
SD86's Avatar
SD86 SD86 is online now
Snowflake
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Courses Played: 8
Posts: 9,075
Niced 2,148 Times in 1,582 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
Hey dudes,

Most recently my control driver slot has been filled with Teebirds, but I am not sure that I want to beat DX teebs all the way into the N/US slot. I really like the controllable "flip n fly" shot and need something to cover the whole spectrum, from a click below a star teebird all the way down to a click above an underworld.

What is everyone's favorite neutral/understable control driver? Keep in mind that I throw fast fairways/slow distance drivers (mostly escapes) for distance, so really speed 6-7 would be best I think. That being said, I'm considering bagging a Fury for this shot as they actually seem incredibly slow for a 1.9cm rim.

FDs are cool, but the lack of consistent availability is a turn off. TL could be part of the equation, but they aren't flippy enough to fill the whole spectrum. Leopards are a perennial favorite - name a mold that better exemplifies the advantages of every plastic type... 2x champ is beefy AF, pro is amazing, DX works fine thanks to the relatively blunt and sturdy rim. I don't have as much experience with the leo3, and as I said pro leopards are half the reason I would consider the mold at all. Other than that, I've been considering some GYRO too, as I really like the 1.65cm rim speed class.
I have come to really like the Leopard3 in this slot. I used to bag the TL, but now I'm bagging a Champion Leo3. If Hannah Leatherman Swirly Star Leo3s become available, they're great also.

I used to bag the Fury, but it was resoundingly chased out of my bag by the new Infinite Discs Sphinx. Allegedly a Valkyrie top and Roadrunner bottom, it is a really awesome stable-to-understable disc, and I'd really recommend taking a look at it.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-17-2018, 01:11 PM
Streets's Avatar
Streets Streets is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 9,044
Niced 3,878 Times in 1,654 Posts
Default

I will second the Leo3...really any plastic, champ is usually my favorite. Just stock Champion.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-17-2018, 01:13 PM
Alexplz's Avatar
Alexplz Alexplz is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 1,485
Niced 512 Times in 329 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I have come to really like the Leopard3 in this slot. I used to bag the TL, but now I'm bagging a Champion Leo3. If Hannah Leatherman Swirly Star Leo3s become available, they're great also.

I used to bag the Fury, but it was resoundingly chased out of my bag by the new Infinite Discs Sphinx. Allegedly a Valkyrie top and Roadrunner bottom, it is a really awesome stable-to-understable disc, and I'd really recommend taking a look at it.
Roadrunner bottom sounds nice - Recently I tried the TD for a FH laser beam, and it was pretty impressive.

I am thinking that it might be time to allow some blurred lines between my "control drivers" and my "distance drivers", considering I'm throwing nothing faster than a speed 9 typically anyway.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-17-2018, 01:14 PM
Alexplz's Avatar
Alexplz Alexplz is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 1,485
Niced 512 Times in 329 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
I will second the Leo3...really any plastic, champ is usually my favorite. Just stock Champion.
The only thing that bugs me about this option is that there are no pro leo3s out there. I know that the champ is not going to give me the turn I am looking for, nor would any premium plastic I think. I could pair the champ leo3 with a pro leo, but then my head would explode due to the inconsistency.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-17-2018, 01:19 PM
Streets's Avatar
Streets Streets is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 9,044
Niced 3,878 Times in 1,654 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
The only thing that bugs me about this option is that there are no pro leo3s out there. I know that the champ is not going to give me the turn I am looking for, nor would any premium plastic I think. I could pair the champ leo3 with a pro leo, but then my head would explode due to the inconsistency.
I've always found Champ Leo3's to be straighter out of the box than regular Champ Leos and also develop turn quicker. Also, a lot of recent Pro Leos have been on the flatter side...so you could pretend those are Leo3s?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-17-2018, 01:24 PM
SaROCaM SaROCaM is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Courses Played: 38
Posts: 515
Niced 447 Times in 201 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
I am not sure that I want to beat DX teebs all the way into the N/US slot.
You're missing out if you don't do it at least once, IMO. A beat DX Teebird is a flip and fly glide machine. Holds a beautiful turnover too. A beat Champ Teebird is a laser straight flyer that you can manipulate. A Teebird cycle can cover a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
What is everyone's favorite neutral/understable control driver? Keep in mind that I throw fast fairways/slow distance drivers (mostly escapes) for distance, so really speed 6-7 would be best I think.
The first thing that came to mind was the FD. I bag a Champ Leopard3 to go along with my Teebirds. When new, a slight hyzer flips up and goes straight or rides a little right on a relatively easy throw. So those two would get my votes (three if you count a beat up Teebird.)

Oh, also the Stag comes to mind. Really glidey and fun to throw. Fits in somewhere in the mix of beat Teebirds and Leopards. I like VIP plastic for the Stag.

So I'd say beat Teebird, FD, Leopard/Leopard3, and Stag.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-17-2018, 01:28 PM
Alexplz's Avatar
Alexplz Alexplz is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 1,485
Niced 512 Times in 329 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
A Teebird cycle can cover a lot.
I used to carry 2-3 DX teebs for this, but got rid of them for one reason or another. I think what I'll likely do is shelve my star teebs for a bit and throw fresh DX in their place. I'll also toss whatever N control driver in the bag as a stop gap and then see what I want to do as the DX teebs beat in. Why not, I say - they fly plenty stable for me when fresh.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-17-2018, 01:31 PM
roggenb3's Avatar
roggenb3 roggenb3 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Madtown
Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,784
Niced 974 Times in 519 Posts
Default

Get a G* Leo for the US slot and Champ Leo 3 for the N slot.
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 07-17-2018, 01:42 PM
Keller's Avatar
Keller Keller is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Above ground
Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,886
Niced 1,494 Times in 689 Posts
Default

DX Gazelles for me. They last a long time and a seasoned Gazelle is a thing of beauty!

Honorable mention goes to the Polaris LS.

I tried Leopards for years, just could never gel with them. Something about the rim, I can just never get a consistent release with them.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Control Drivers Micah511 Discs 10 02-13-2017 10:51 AM
Control Vs. Fairway Drivers SD86 Discs 31 11-26-2016 04:13 PM
Stable Control Drivers CrimsonDG Discs 33 10-12-2016 04:51 PM
Control drivers Alexplz Discs 44 04-27-2014 11:01 PM
How many fairway/control drivers do you use? Qikly Discs 95 08-09-2013 12:18 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.