Old 07-17-2018, 12:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 512 Times in 329 Posts
Default US/N Control Drivers

Hey dudes,

Most recently my control driver slot has been filled with Teebirds, but I am not sure that I want to beat DX teebs all the way into the N/US slot. I really like the controllable "flip n fly" shot and need something to cover the whole spectrum, from a click below a star teebird all the way down to a click above an underworld.

What is everyone's favorite neutral/understable control driver? Keep in mind that I throw fast fairways/slow distance drivers (mostly escapes) for distance, so really speed 6-7 would be best I think. That being said, I'm considering bagging a Fury for this shot as they actually seem incredibly slow for a 1.9cm rim.

FDs are cool, but the lack of consistent availability is a turn off. TL could be part of the equation, but they aren't flippy enough to fill the whole spectrum. Leopards are a perennial favorite - name a mold that better exemplifies the advantages of every plastic type... 2x champ is beefy AF, pro is amazing, DX works fine thanks to the relatively blunt and sturdy rim. I don't have as much experience with the leo3, and as I said pro leopards are half the reason I would consider the mold at all. Other than that, I've been considering some GYRO too, as I really like the 1.65cm rim speed class.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2018, 01:06 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,148 Times in 1,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
Hey dudes,

Most recently my control driver slot has been filled with Teebirds, but I am not sure that I want to beat DX teebs all the way into the N/US slot. I really like the controllable "flip n fly" shot and need something to cover the whole spectrum, from a click below a star teebird all the way down to a click above an underworld.

What is everyone's favorite neutral/understable control driver? Keep in mind that I throw fast fairways/slow distance drivers (mostly escapes) for distance, so really speed 6-7 would be best I think. That being said, I'm considering bagging a Fury for this shot as they actually seem incredibly slow for a 1.9cm rim.

FDs are cool, but the lack of consistent availability is a turn off. TL could be part of the equation, but they aren't flippy enough to fill the whole spectrum. Leopards are a perennial favorite - name a mold that better exemplifies the advantages of every plastic type... 2x champ is beefy AF, pro is amazing, DX works fine thanks to the relatively blunt and sturdy rim. I don't have as much experience with the leo3, and as I said pro leopards are half the reason I would consider the mold at all. Other than that, I've been considering some GYRO too, as I really like the 1.65cm rim speed class.
I have come to really like the Leopard3 in this slot. I used to bag the TL, but now I'm bagging a Champion Leo3. If Hannah Leatherman Swirly Star Leo3s become available, they're great also.

I used to bag the Fury, but it was resoundingly chased out of my bag by the new Infinite Discs Sphinx. Allegedly a Valkyrie top and Roadrunner bottom, it is a really awesome stable-to-understable disc, and I'd really recommend taking a look at it.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-17-2018, 01:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,878 Times in 1,654 Posts

I will second the Leo3...really any plastic, champ is usually my favorite. Just stock Champion.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-17-2018, 01:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I have come to really like the Leopard3 in this slot. I used to bag the TL, but now I'm bagging a Champion Leo3. If Hannah Leatherman Swirly Star Leo3s become available, they're great also.

I used to bag the Fury, but it was resoundingly chased out of my bag by the new Infinite Discs Sphinx. Allegedly a Valkyrie top and Roadrunner bottom, it is a really awesome stable-to-understable disc, and I'd really recommend taking a look at it.
Roadrunner bottom sounds nice - Recently I tried the TD for a FH laser beam, and it was pretty impressive.

I am thinking that it might be time to allow some blurred lines between my "control drivers" and my "distance drivers", considering I'm throwing nothing faster than a speed 9 typically anyway.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-17-2018, 01:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
I will second the Leo3...really any plastic, champ is usually my favorite. Just stock Champion.
The only thing that bugs me about this option is that there are no pro leo3s out there. I know that the champ is not going to give me the turn I am looking for, nor would any premium plastic I think. I could pair the champ leo3 with a pro leo, but then my head would explode due to the inconsistency.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-17-2018, 01:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 46
Niced 3,878 Times in 1,654 Posts

Quote:
The only thing that bugs me about this option is that there are no pro leo3s out there. I know that the champ is not going to give me the turn I am looking for, nor would any premium plastic I think. I could pair the champ leo3 with a pro leo, but then my head would explode due to the inconsistency.
I've always found Champ Leo3's to be straighter out of the box than regular Champ Leos and also develop turn quicker. Also, a lot of recent Pro Leos have been on the flatter side...so you could pretend those are Leo3s?
Old 07-17-2018, 01:24 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 447 Times in 201 Posts

Quote:
I am not sure that I want to beat DX teebs all the way into the N/US slot.
You're missing out if you don't do it at least once, IMO. A beat DX Teebird is a flip and fly glide machine. Holds a beautiful turnover too. A beat Champ Teebird is a laser straight flyer that you can manipulate. A Teebird cycle can cover a lot.

Quote:
What is everyone's favorite neutral/understable control driver? Keep in mind that I throw fast fairways/slow distance drivers (mostly escapes) for distance, so really speed 6-7 would be best I think.
The first thing that came to mind was the FD. I bag a Champ Leopard3 to go along with my Teebirds. When new, a slight hyzer flips up and goes straight or rides a little right on a relatively easy throw. So those two would get my votes (three if you count a beat up Teebird.)

Oh, also the Stag comes to mind. Really glidey and fun to throw. Fits in somewhere in the mix of beat Teebirds and Leopards. I like VIP plastic for the Stag.

So I'd say beat Teebird, FD, Leopard/Leopard3, and Stag.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
A Teebird cycle can cover a lot.
I used to carry 2-3 DX teebs for this, but got rid of them for one reason or another. I think what I'll likely do is shelve my star teebs for a bit and throw fresh DX in their place. I'll also toss whatever N control driver in the bag as a stop gap and then see what I want to do as the DX teebs beat in. Why not, I say - they fly plenty stable for me when fresh.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 135
Niced 974 Times in 519 Posts

Get a G* Leo for the US slot and Champ Leo 3 for the N slot.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,494 Times in 689 Posts

DX Gazelles for me. They last a long time and a seasoned Gazelle is a thing of beauty!

Honorable mention goes to the Polaris LS.

I tried Leopards for years, just could never gel with them. Something about the rim, I can just never get a consistent release with them.