Old 01-28-2019, 10:35 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 415 Times in 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
So no, I'd rather have different molds in premium plastic than try to cycle discs.
Maybe you misunderstood me. I'm not suggesting you "try to cycle discs." I just said I was surprised that someone who has played as much as you wouldn't have multiples of a mold in his bag (I'm assuming you've got thousands of rounds under your belt, due to you having 7500+ posts on DGCR and being a member for many years). Since I've also seen you post a bunch about trying new stuff in many disc threads, it wasn't a giant logical leap to think "huh, here's a guy who plays a ton but always switches up molds. He probably would get benefit from using discs longer rather than always switching things out."

To me, cycling is a result of playing rather than a goal to be achieved. It's not something that anyone should try to do, but is something that is a natural byproduct of using the discs in your bag over an extended period of time. I didn't set out with the intent to cycle, nor do I ever plan to. But when my favorite fairway driver (Lucid Escape) beat in over the course of a year and no longer flew the way it used to, I added a fresh one. I now have TWO discs in my bag that fly like an Escape but for different wind conditions. I don't have to learn how a new mold flies, since I have thousands of reps with an Escape already.

Regarding the issue with Rivers beating in too much, that's not surprising since a River is typically already the most US fairway in a player's bag; many players don't find use for a disc that starts out US and then beats in from there. I think a better experiment would be bagging something like an Explorer or a Stag and seeing if you enjoy how it flies once beat in.

At the end of the day, disc golf is a hobby to be enjoyed. There's no right or wrong way to do it. You do you. But if you post a thread under the "Improve Your Game > Bag Suggestions and Feedback" forum, maybe don't get so worked up over someone giving you an obvious tip to help improve your game.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (4)

Last edited by aphilso1; 01-28-2019 at 10:36 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-31-2019, 03:22 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,147 Times in 1,581 Posts

Took an "All-Infinite-Discs" bag to the course today.
Myth
Tomb
Anubis
Ra
Exodus
Sphinx
Pharaoh

Also took the new Paul McBeth prototype putter. I'll have that write-up in that thread.

The all-Infinite bag did pretty well. I was missing my Leopard3, so a straight-to-understable fairway in the speed-7 range from Infinite would be welcome. And a 'Colt-ish' straight-to-understable approach putter, though the Geisinger Myth did okay there.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 46
Niced 3,835 Times in 1,639 Posts

Much less clutter, well done.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-31-2019, 10:18 PM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Much less clutter, well done.
Yes, but there were times I was hating not having the disc I wanted for a shot. Yes, I made the Tomb do a really nice anny flex one time, and I made do with the other discs, but there were a few times it literally was not much fun.

I also had these discs in an Innova basic bag, holds 10-11 discs, and I wasn't used to the strap over one shoulder. I usually use my Fade Crunchbox with backstraps that keep things nicely balanced on my shoulders and back. My Crunchbox holds up to 17 discs (usually have 14-16 in there), and it's not a problem to carry them.

So, though it's fun to put together and try various bags, when it comes down to having the most fun, I'm not a mold minimalist, and I'm not all that much a disc minimalist. We'll see how my 11-disc bag works if weather permits tomorrow, but after that I'm going back to the core bag. For me, it's more fun having more discs, and fun is the point of playing, n'est pas?

Last edited by SD86; 01-31-2019 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:45 PM
Snowflake

JUST to make Streets happy I took an Innova basic bag with these 11 (and ONLY 11) discs to the course on an absolutely perfect weather day for DG:

McBeth Prototype Putter
DX Polecat
Star Colt
S-blend Tomb
Star Wombat3
BLUE Panther
Metal Flake C-blend Ra
Champion Leopard3
S-blend Exodus
I-blend Sphinx
Star Tern

The Blue Panther is straight-to-understable.

I cannot put into words just how happy I was today vs. yesterday when I reached for that Champion Leopard3 and it was there. If you want to know if you should keep a disc in the bag, take it out for one day. It was painful to not have the Leo3 (or equivalent) yesterday, and made the round less fun to play. My Leo3 and my Polecat are staying in the bag.

The Combat Wombat3 did pretty well off the tee on the dogleg-right hole; I birdied it. It's fun to throw on good weather days.

I was missing the Hornet a couple of times today. Trying to throw the Tomb harder to make up for it didn't work; the Tomb goes very straight when thrown with power. I had some great Tomb throws today, but not when I was trying to hyzer it. The Ra is more like a Roc3/RocX3, and doesn't make up for that overstability.

It was a good round today with this bag, in the excellent weather... but if there'd been any wind I'd be missing some discs.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 46
Niced 3,835 Times in 1,639 Posts

Why don't you throw Marshals too? From what I've seen that's an excellent throwing putter and if you are comfortable putting them too...it seems like a no brainer to use that for most of your putt/approach/short drives.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:02 PM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Why don't you throw Marshals too? From what I've seen that's an excellent throwing putter and if you are comfortable putting them too...it seems like a no brainer to use that for most of your putt/approach/short drives.
The Classic Marshal is my normal putter. I was just testing out the McBeth Prototype today, and it's a nice putter itself. I love the way the Marshal fits in my hand when I am putting with my putting grip, and it works well for my spin putting style.

But to your question: I have a Lucid Marshal, but I preferred the Fuzion Wardens that I have as throwing putters. And yes, I could throw Classic Marshals or Wardens or Deputys, as well, and they are all good approach discs.

But... the Polekitty snuck into my bag and the accuracy of that disc for approaches is second-to-none. And I wasn't kidding when I said in one of the above posts that I am good with a Polecat. If I'm not throwing it into the basket or drawing metal against the basket or the pole, the Polecat is slithering up to the base of the basket for drop-in putts. So I committed to the Polecat for upshots, and my scores improved as a result.

Beyond the distances I'm comfortable throwing the Polecat (usually around 125 ft. or so max), I've always preferred the more shallow Colt, Stud, and Tomb (and Mirage) for throwing approaches. So the Dynamic Discs (and other) putters, while very good, fell by the wayside except for being my putting putter.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:42 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 61
Niced 219 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:

I cannot put into words just how happy I was today vs. yesterday when I reached for that Champion Leopard3 and it was there.

I lost my first Champ Leo3, and felt the same way when I was finally able to replace it.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:09 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 103 Times in 63 Posts

Quote:
Polekitty snuck into my bag and the accuracy of that disc for approaches is second-to-none. And I wasn't kidding when I said in one of the above posts that I am good with a Polecat. If I'm not throwing it into the basket or drawing metal against the basket or the pole, the Polecat is slithering up to the base of the basket for drop-in putts. So I committed to the Polecat for upshots, and my scores improved as a result.

Beyond the distances I'm comfortable throwing the Polecat (usually around 125 ft. or so max), I've always preferred the more shallow Colt, Stud, and Tomb (and Mirage) for throwing approaches. So the Dynamic Discs (and other) putters, while very good, fell by the wayside except for being my putting putter.
What's wrong with the Polecat past 125'? I'd be willing to bet that you could throw it well up to 200' if you tried, as they are surprisingly good disc when thrown hard too. It might not unseat one of your other approach discs, but you are doing yourself a disservice if you're a Polecat fan that never throws the disc with any power. Its really a cool sight when you hammer on a Polecat, to where you can turn around and grab your bag then high five a buddy and finally turn around to watch the Polecat still in the air heading right for the basket. I'm throwing mine on more and more of my normal Omega shots, just because its plain fun to throw.

Niced: (2)

Old 02-06-2019, 08:14 AM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERB brooks View Post
What's wrong with the Polecat past 125'? I'd be willing to bet that you could throw it well up to 200' if you tried, as they are surprisingly good disc when thrown hard too. It might not unseat one of your other approach discs, but you are doing yourself a disservice if you're a Polecat fan that never throws the disc with any power. Its really a cool sight when you hammer on a Polecat, to where you can turn around and grab your bag then high five a buddy and finally turn around to watch the Polecat still in the air heading right for the basket. I'm throwing mine on more and more of my normal Omega shots, just because its plain fun to throw.
Nothing wrong with the Polecat past 125 ft, and I've probably thrown it farther on the course without really realizing it. I've thrown the Polecat with power for distance on the range, and it's done okay for me. But I don't feel like I have much control of it, and it's a disc I throw for control and accuracy on the course. I'm dialed in with my Star and XT Colts for those longer upshots, so it's all good. And I definitely agree that the Polecat is a fun disc to throw. Love the Polecat!