Old 08-01-2019, 07:16 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 117 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Maniac View Post
But in events like track&field there are set results you need to match or best to be able to enter. No matter if you are the top athlete in your country or not. Get the result, then enter.
Not entirely accurate. As a recent example, Finnish hurdler Reetta Hurske would've probably qualified to the athletics world championships based on annual statistics ranking, even if she didn't meet the result requirement (which she eventually smashed). It's a bit like the qualifying round in field events, you're guaranteed to qualify if you pass the mark but at least X number of participants will qualify regardless.

Still quite a bit more challenging to enter worlds than in disc golf
Sponsored Links

Last edited by RistoS; 08-01-2019 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,287 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
There was a skier from some tropical country in the Skiing World Championships in Finland a few years back.... struggling to even stay upright on the skis But even he qualified by being the best of his national group. I think.

But in events like track&field there are set results you need to match or best to be able to enter. No matter if you are the top athlete in your country or not. Get the result, then enter.
True, we see this quite often in the Olympics. . .just because you are one of the best in a sport in that country, does not mean you are any good
I think "Eddie the Eagle" was the best Ski jumper in England. . .but still one of the worst in the world lol

But i still think only the best discgolfers should be allowed to play Worlds. . .
Old 08-01-2019, 08:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,600 Times in 1,499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
But i still think only the best discgolfers should be allowed to play Worlds. . .
There are qualifying criteria to get into Worlds. The problem is that not enough players who meet those qualifying criteria actually go to Worlds. If they did, the Lloyd Weemas of the world wouldn't get in. All these other sports we're comparing don't face the same issue where their best don't bother to show up at their World Championships. They also don't rely on having a sizeable field to create the purse that the players compete for.

Just picture the opposite of what we have...a much stricter qualifying standard for Worlds with no exceptions. The result is a smaller field and a smaller payout. Guess what people would be complaining about then? "Our biggest championship and that's all the winner gets?" There's no clearly better path.

If the Lloyd Weemas of the world were getting into Worlds at the expense of, say, the Chris Dickersons and Michael Johansens, then I think there's a reason to care that those players are playing the event. But someone has to come in last at these events, and I don't see why Lloyd Weema being that guy somehow detracts from the championship overall.

As the sport continues to grow, this should be less and less of an issue. Let the scrubs have their fun in the meantime.

Niced: (3)
Old 08-01-2019, 08:21 AM
* Ace Member *

It΄s kind of sad that we need amateur players to fill out the field to be able to reach the payout goal.

But i get it, this is a small sport. . and alot of players that are good enough to play simply can΄t afford to go to Worlds.

I heard paige P talk about the fact that even though she won in Europe. . the cost of going is so high that she just broke even,

Let΄s hope we get more outside sponsor money. . .in many sports the event have to pay the player to come and play at their event, , ,not the otherway around

Niced: (1)
Old 08-01-2019, 10:17 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 737 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:
True, we see this quite often in the Olympics. . .just because you are one of the best in a sport in that country, does not mean you are any good
I think "Eddie the Eagle" was the best Ski jumper in England. . .but still one of the worst in the world lol

But i still think only the best disc golfers should be allowed to play Worlds. . .
Eddie the Eagle only made it because until the Olympic and Worlds committee had it where you only needed to qualify to your country's standard and some like Great Britain did not have a standard or much of one since no one really did ski jumping in GB then he qualified. It was in the 1980's a basic standard was made to save from having more ski jumpers like Eddie who were showing up in countries that did not have much for a standard just to say they made an Olympic team for a sport. I saw a mini documentary on that as they were waiting for the Ski Jumpers in the Russian winter Olympics due to weather being too warm and it was 30 years from the date of his last Olympic jump.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:31 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,151 Times in 1,584 Posts

Quote:
It΄s just odd that anyone can enter a World championchip. . in any sport
in most sports you need to go through (FTFY) a long and hard qualifying to get in to the Worlds

If i go and watch a Worlds in any sport, i want to see the best athletes in that sport. . . not to see amateurs that play worse than the "weekend players" at a local club
Quote:
There was a skier from some tropical country in the Skiing World Championships in Finland a few years back.... struggling to even stay upright on the skis But even he qualified by being the best of his national group. I think.

Like that Olympics where Eddy the Eagle of Great Britain competed in the ski jump, though he was nowhere near Olympic-caliber. Then the IOC instituted new rules to keep that stuff from happening again.

But Disc Golf is nowhere near the Olympics yet. As long as Weema's admission is not denying someone better a shot at the Title, let him play.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,192 Times in 2,227 Posts

Looks like Zach Arlinghaus accepted cash at Idlewild. He is now listed as a pro and signed up for Worlds. He was in the money at Ledgestone but didn't take it then...

Niced: (1)
Old 08-05-2019, 01:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Looks like Zach Arlinghaus accepted cash at Idlewild. He is now listed as a pro and signed up for Worlds. He was in the money at Ledgestone but didn't take it then...
Maybe a little "push" from his sponsor to play Worlds?

But even if thats not the case, he beat alot of big names at Idewild and to play Worlds is a big step that he "needs" to take at this point in his career

Did the T8 at Idewild earn him a USDGC spot?
Old 08-05-2019, 03:23 AM
* Ace Member *

So we will have live for MPO day 1, FPO day 2, MPO day 3, FPO day 4 and both on day 5 ?

Trying to figure out the Teetimes for us here in Sweden, but it feels like i only will be able to watch FPO play during the week and then both on Saturday.

Kind of odd to have different teetimes over the week. . SOOO many people going to tune in and expect to se MPO day 2 in the same timeslot as day 1. .

Niced: (2)

Old 08-05-2019, 06:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Maybe OT, but still. .

can you choose anyone as a partner in "Mixed Doubles at Worlds"?. . i feel like some of the "pairs" are a bit odd, a big mix of nationalities and sponsors in the pairs