Old 05-29-2019, 03:40 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Could you help a lonely french guy?

Hi!

I went to Finland last summer and my friend made me try disc golf. I fell in love with this sport after my first throw!

So when I came back home, I bought a basket and a bunch of disc to play by myself.
The problem is that disc golf is really small in France and the closest course is 2 hours drive from my place and even there, there are only few people playing.

So nobody can give me advices and I learned watching many videos and reading a lot online.

I improved after a few months, starting to reach 300ft quite often. I recorded myself maybe once a month to see what was wrong.

But last two months I really tried to improve my form and I started to throw less far. I realized my form was really bad.

So for a month now, I decided to "rebuild" a form, I stoped the x-step and focusing only with standstill. I think my FD and my Volts go often 260 feet. My Envys 215 feets. (when I don't shank my throws!)

I practice quite a lot but I don't see myself really improving. That's why I come here for some help before to desperate!

Here is a video of my throws :

This is a great forum here and I really appreciate the time you are taking here to help people like me.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)

Last edited by zenbot; 06-12-2019 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:55 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Aw, I don't know how to insert the Youtube video on the post (and don't find how to edit a post!).

Here is the link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFNqJfTKg6g
Old 05-29-2019, 05:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

To embed the video, just put the part after "v=" of the URL into the youtube tags.

Editing posts is only available for 5 minutes after the post was submitted, then the option disappears.

I would check your grip to make sure it is aligned nose down of the forearm: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/r...ttoripit.shtml

Two things to start with for you with the throw...

First is don't focus on the "reachback" as being super important. You are turning the shoulders and arm ahead of everything else and really trying to extend the arm/disc away from the target as far as you can. This disconnects the arm and makes it whippy instead of leveraged and strong. Instead, focus on turning the hips and torso back together, and the arm will turn with them.

The second is that you're doing a very common thing, which is pushing/starting the throw off of your rear leg. Your head is aligned to the rear leg and your back leg steps forward/through the throw, rather than using the rear leg to move your weight onto the front leg and then throwing.

The one leg drill is a good thing to try out, especially since you're already throwing controlled standstill shots. It will help you set up over the front leg, without letting you push off the back leg. It's fine to have your back foot on the ground and have some weight go onto the left foot when you are turning back...just don't try to shift your weight to the left leg on purpose. It can be very helpful to film/post your one leg throws or swinging something heavy back and forth from this position, for advice on how to set up your balance.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-29-2019, 07:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,737 Times in 1,701 Posts

Yeah, your upper arm is collapsing/hugging yourself/lagging too much/disconnecting and not giving yourself a power pocket to bring the disc closer into your center. Note how you are gripping the front edge of the disc, instead of the outside edge of the disc.

Also like SP mentioned your balance is aligned to your rear leg, instead of the front leg. Note the difference in the head tilt, your nose is tipping over your chin, while my chin leads my nose forward, so I moved my lower body ahead underneath the upper body while you are tipping the upper body over the lower body.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-05-29 at 7.31.58 PM.jpg (62.5 KB, 173 views)
Old 05-30-2019, 06:29 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Thank you very much for your quick answers!

I was doing something wrong with my grip indeed, I think it will be quite easy to fix. That's nice!

Next thing I will try is to keep my hand on the outside edge of the disc. I'm not sure it will be as easy.

Then, it should take much more time, the one leg drill and work on a proper balance. I feel like I'm a slow learner so I'm afraid it will be a big thing for me!

I will come back here and say how it is going. Thank you again guys!
Old 06-12-2019, 04:11 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi!

I tried to practice as much as possible but I'm very buzy because I move in an other town this week-end... Town where I opened this week a Disc Golf Club!
And we should have the first course withing 2 hours drive!

I don't know what to think about my practice. I didn't improve much with max distance but my average distance increase! I reach 80 meters with my fairway drivers quite often when it was just from time to time before to post here.

I mostly focused on three things :
- not to grip the front edge of the disc. I think I'm doint it better.
- reachback with my hips and not with my arm. I'm doing it better too but if I don't focus during my throw, I reachback with my arm again.
- the one step drill! I threw only with this drill for the last weeks. I am doing it correctly?

I noticed I tend to throw too much right and sometimes the disc even crash into the ground at 50 meters. I don't really understand why it happens.

Here is the video, I recorded myself throwing putter and FD. I don't know if it is good for you or if it makes it a too long video.

I see a lot of mistakes in my form but maybe you could tell me what is good for now in my form.
And what should I focus on?

I didn't really get the "stop hugging yourself drill", should I start with that?

Anyway, thank you for your advices because it already helped me!
Old 06-12-2019, 04:43 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 31
Niced 338 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silboh View Post
Hi!

I went to Finland last summer and my friend made me try disc golf. I fell in love with this sport after my first throw!

So when I came back home, I bought a basket and a bunch of disc to play by myself.
The problem is that disc golf is really small in France and the closest course is 2 hours drive from my place and even there, there are only few people playing.

So nobody can give me advices and I learned watching many videos and reading a lot online.

I improved after a few months, starting to reach 300ft quite often. I recorded myself maybe once a month to see what was wrong.

But last two months I really tried to improve my form and I started to throw less far. I realized my form was really bad.

So for a month now, I decided to "rebuild" a form, I stoped the x-step and focusing only with standstill. I think my FD and my Volts go often 260 feet. My Envys 215 feets. (when I don't shank my throws!)

I practice quite a lot but I don't see myself really improving. That's why I come here for some help before to desperate!

Here is a video of my throws :

This is a great forum here and I really appreciate the time you are taking here to help people like me.
Youtube link fixed.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

This is good that you posted the one leg drill for feedback. It's super tricky to just "get it" initially...and like most of us you are kind of focusing on the opposite of what the feel should be. You are rotating clockwise/forward into the throw, and rising up as you are on the plant/right leg.

So I'll point out what is incorrect in these throws first to help you see what you are currently doing, and then suggest how to change or what the change may feel like.

If you watch from the back view at 0:09, you can see how your left leg/knee moves to the left and around the plant leg. It is just stepping forward and through the throw, at the same rate and timing that you are swinging the disc. There was no move sideways toward the plant leg...I realize this is one leg drill...or no counterweight where the left leg actually swings to the right of the screen behind the plant leg to give you more leverage.

In the side view at 0:03 you can see how low your head/torso is during the whole backswing, and then as soon as you move forward you rise up and really get taller the whole time, almost jumping off your right leg from the backswing forward.

When you watch SW throw from one leg in the video I posted at the beginning, in the behind the shot view you can see the left foot move to the right of the screen to counterbalance the shot. You can also see in the side view how he doesn't rise up to the same extent...head level remains pretty constant.

I think a bit part of getting this feel, is in the backswing if you watch his throw in the side view at 0:36, you can see how his butt/spine do move slightly toward the right leg or toward the target. There is a slight lateral movement, not just rotation. This may require slight weight on the left foot, but you aren't trying to push off the left foot. This lateral movement will really help you balance better and set up a counterweight. You can see how his butt moves slightly toward the target/right leg before the throwing motion, and this will really help the lower body counterbalance the rest of the throw. You are missing this lateral movement and set up with too much rotation.

Also if you try to move your butt/lower spine to the plant leg, you should be able to get more toward the target with the entire torso, rather than trying to rotate forward and push your head toward the target like you are currently doing.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:59 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 166
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,229 Times in 1,044 Posts

It looks like you're still consciously throwing the disc (strong-arming) rather than using your body mechanics to propel the disc out of your grip. You need to make the disc feel heavy in your hand, the way a hammer feels heavier when you swing it around you. Everything these guys are going to suggest is to help you incorporate more leverage into your form via mechanics. When you figure out that you're not physically muscling the disc out but rather a vehicle for slinging the disc away all this in-depth advice and drills will make a lot more sense.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:56 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I haven't had time to try all of this yet. I finally moved so now I should have more time to practice.

Thanx for your advices again!

I understand what I am doing wrong. I will try to move more forward instead of rotating clockwise.

I just have one question tough. As I am currently rising up during my throw, what should I correct? Should I start my reachback higher or I just should stay low until the end of the followtrough? Maybe I bend my knees too much at the begining?