Old 08-01-2019, 07:40 AM

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 65
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default Here we go again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadpe View Post

If anyone has tried a Luster FD I would be interested to try the plastic, wether it's more stiff or softer than regular C-line.
I bag a 171g Luster FD, and it’s often stiffer than regular C (I have C’s in MD, FD2, MD1 and MD3. Luster is stiffer than two of them and about the same as the other 2).

The FD in Luster has a very specific place in my bag: OS Fairway.

Just as background, a 175g S FD used to be my main fairway “straight” driver (it has a reliable soft fade that I could anticipate). I heard that the Luster C was more OS, and I wanted something for long right-to-left doglegs. The Luster fits that bill for me on a nice hard throw. It will come up to flat, and then start a distinctive fade. And it adds a nice dependable skip. EXAMPLE: 260’ with a hard left dogleg that starts at maybe 175’. Throw hard and a bit high, so it makes the turn at about 25’ off the deck. Makes the turn, skips to 10’ for a drop-in bird.

I do not have a particularly hard throw, so this may be a little less OS for others.

As an aside, I dropped the S FD earlier this year because the soft fade became much harder (I had been bagging it for about a year). My current “straight” fairway is a beat-in DX Teebird. I also bag two F7’s in 400G: a new one that’s only slightly understable, and a year old one that I can confidently flip. Just telling you all this to give you the full picture of my “fairway” section of my bag...
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2019, 02:26 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 11 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyooMac View Post
I bag a 171g Luster FD, and it’s often stiffer than regular C (I have C’s in MD, FD2, MD1 and MD3. Luster is stiffer than two of them and about the same as the other 2).

The FD in Luster has a very specific place in my bag: OS Fairway.

Just as background, a 175g S FD used to be my main fairway “straight” driver (it has a reliable soft fade that I could anticipate). I heard that the Luster C was more OS, and I wanted something for long right-to-left doglegs. The Luster fits that bill for me on a nice hard throw. It will come up to flat, and then start a distinctive fade. And it adds a nice dependable skip. EXAMPLE: 260’ with a hard left dogleg that starts at maybe 175’. Throw hard and a bit high, so it makes the turn at about 25’ off the deck. Makes the turn, skips to 10’ for a drop-in bird.

I do not have a particularly hard throw, so this may be a little less OS for others.

As an aside, I dropped the S FD earlier this year because the soft fade became much harder (I had been bagging it for about a year). My current “straight” fairway is a beat-in DX Teebird. I also bag two F7’s in 400G: a new one that’s only slightly understable, and a year old one that I can confidently flip. Just telling you all this to give you the full picture of my “fairway” section of my bag...
I have tried a Luster DDX while it was way too OS for me, I liked the plastic however. Luster FD would probably fit my throw right now. I used to have a S-line FD and now I replaced it with a C-line when I lost the S-line one. I can comfortably say that I can flip both easily, maybe not in a tailwind. Luster would be a tad OS and it would fit me if I would play only FD as a fairway mold.

I prefer something faster for a stable fairway and I currently like to use a Savant, I feel that I have a nice control with it. I don't like throwing explorer unless it's a headwind and the Luster FD would overlap somewhat with the Stability of explorer I would imagine.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:36 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
I have tried a Luster DDX while it was way too OS for me, I liked the plastic however. Luster FD would probably fit my throw right now. I used to have a S-line FD and now I replaced it with a C-line when I lost the S-line one. I can comfortably say that I can flip both easily, maybe not in a tailwind. Luster would be a tad OS and it would fit me if I would play only FD as a fairway mold.

I prefer something faster for a stable fairway and I currently like to use a Savant, I feel that I have a nice control with it. I don't like throwing explorer unless it's a headwind and the Luster FD would overlap somewhat with the Stability of explorer I would imagine.
I searched some old threads about Luster FD's and they are actually said to be more understable than the regular C-line. Maybe it has to do with the dome. It sounds like a nice option since the plastic feels great and it would not change flight from bumps too fast. Maybe not a windfighter but I have discs for those situations.

I used to have a S-line FD and it was my favorite, unfortunately I lost it. I now have a c-line and it works great, but I am nlt a fan of it having more dome.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:51 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Not giving advice on driving farther. Just wanted to say that your bag looks pretty good. The only disc that isn't very common is that Savant, but if you like it, keep rockin' it.

Practice with that FD... the FD is an outstanding mold, and once you get it down and get comfortable with it, I suspect you're going to love it.
The Savant has to be one of the best molds I've tried so far, I'm surprised that it's not that popular actually. People who throw Innova probably gravitate towards Thunderbirds. With one throw I can say that it flies very much like a CD2 from Discmania, but s-line CD2s feel more domey.

For me, the Savant goes straight with slight finishing hyzer on calm situations, and dead-straight into some headwind (I average about 300-330f on flat ground with 9-speeds). Mine is Champion-plastic with Limited Edition-ministamp, so I have not tried the Star-ones. Also very good for a forehand, but my forehand is little weaker so I only use it for shorter aproaches.

The FD has always been a good disc for me but I tend to use 9-speeds instead rather than having to smash FD in trade-off for lost control. Same thing with Explorer, I've seen guys rip the Explorer 370f but I can't get such distances with it ever. Maybe some day..

I've done some updates to my last bag but I've started to like my current setup which is:

Putts
2X D-line P2 175 - Putts and for practice.
S-line P2 - Good old, more stable approach

Mids
DX Roc 180 - Straight to slightly stable but I try to worn this in to become understable.
Opto Compass 173 - Slightly stable
S-line GM 169 - More OS midrange, with wind I just use Firebird instead.

Fairways
Star Valkyrie 175 - Straight, main driver. I need to buy a backup one.
Star Sidewinder 175 - Understable shots, great turnovers, or hyzerflips.
Champ Savant 175- Slightly More OS Valk.
PFN 12x Firebird - Very gummy, OS utility and approaches. Feels lighter than 175

+10-speed
S-line DDX 170 - Straight to slight finish, on a good day my furthest disc.
3X Star Destroyer - One beat-up 4x McBeth with glide and good finish, one bottom stamp 175 and one 170 Mcbeth two of which are more OS for headwind hyzer-shots. Maybe ocasional FH-flex.
C-line DDX 175 - Ridiculously OS run of ddx for straight-to-hyzer in strong headwind, rarely used.

I don't have the arm for the more stable faster discs if I don't count the beat-up 4x Destroyer, but I also don't use the 10-speeds if I can reach the holes with slower discs. Besides that my game looks very good at the moment.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:29 AM
Bogey Member

Time for a slight update, most of the stuff has stayed the same.

2x D-line P2 175 - Strictly putting, when these wear I plan on switching them for US throwing putters.
S-line P2 175 - Stable thrower.
D-line P1 172 - Very US, hyzerflip 300f straight.

Opto Compass 173 - Still the only midrange I carry, somewhat stable.

Fairways:

C-line FD 175 - Straight.
Opto Explorer 175 - Quite stable fairway, I need to practice more with this disc.
CH Savant 175 - Stable fairway with some finish, holds straight into headwind.
Star Sidewinder 175 - Beat-up pretty understable, 330f turnover, also standstill shots.
Champ Firebird - PFN 12x one. Utility, somewhat OS. Mostly approaches.

Fast discs:

Star Destroyer 171 - Very flat, but meathook (High PLH) 4x McBeth, great for forehand into headwind.
Star Destroyer 175 - Domey Bottom Stamp Pop-top. Holds straight-to-hyzer into a headwind. Great feeling disc. Backhand headwind disc.
Star Destroyer 175 - Beat up 4x McBeth, slight dome. It turns slightly for me but does not hold up to a headwind. Super important disc right now.
Star Wraith 175 - Plastic feels amazing, very slight dome. Nice mix of glide and control.
Champ Wraith 171 - Pretty flat, nice for forehand also. More stable Wraith.
S-line DDX 170 - Most US driver I have, it turns somewhat with backhand but has a nice finish for a straight shot. Goes about 380f for me. Not a disc for wind tho.

My bag looks like every innova-pros bag right? I am just used to these discs and I like it. I don't quite have the arm for the faster discs yet but I am usually dealing with some wind at the local park so they come in handy. I probably have excessive ammount of fast discs but I like the molds, so it is nice to have extra. All of them are also pretty different.

Other discs I might consider bagging:

Dx Aviar3 - Superb approach disc, very self-correcting stable disc. Overlaps somewhat with P2.
Discmania Tiger Wr - Very similar to Aviar3 but less stable, turns slightly. Maybe for shorter straight drivers where a 2-speed would be too slow.

Future discs to get:

S-line FD 175 - I already ordered one to replace my Valkyrie, it's coming from the mail.
Champ Mako3 - I tested this disc and it felt amazing. Both in hand and with flight. Super straight when released flat, but also holds the release angle nicely.

TLDR:
Getting more consistent with Backhand, gotten more armspeed. Also learning Forehand, currently I use it for 300f hyzer shots. Putting needs more practice, but I have had good results with the D-line P2-putters
Old 09-25-2019, 02:38 PM
Bogey Member

Late season update, probably last week this year when I'm playing. I'm trying to throw maxweight discs for consistency.

PUTTERS
D-line P2 175 (3x) - Short slightly understable approuches and putt-training. One freshie for go-to putter.
S-line P2 175- Worn in for straight approuches.

MIDS
Dx Roc 180 - Straight to slightly understable, absolutely go-to midrange.
C-line MD3 177 - Old beat-up, slightly understable. Feels really good in hand.
Opto Compass 173 - Stable midrange, rare usage.

7-speed
C-line FD 175 - Turns easily but also has that balancing fade, true to the numbers.
Opto Explorer 175 - "More stable FD" for windier shots, rarely used.

9-speed
DX Valkyrie 171 - I intend to beat this up for flip-rollers and trouble shots.
Star Sidewinder 175 - Understable, for anhyzers and hyzerflip-to-turn shots.
Champ Savant 175 - Beat to straight, best all-around 9-speed in calm situations.
Champ Firebird ??? - Lighter PFN beat-up to slightly OS, NOT super OS like new firebirds.
G-Star Thunderbird 175 - New test subject, basicly a backup for Firebird I have.

Fast Discs
Champ Wraith 171 - Flat, backup for Star Wraith.
Star Wraith 175 - Goes "straight" with some turn but has that balancing fade for left finish.
Star Destroyer 175 (2x) - Old beat-up 4x McBeth that goes similar lines with Wraiths, straight with good amount of distance, and newer bottom-stamp for more stability into a headwind.

Thoughts
Getting decent results and I'm quite happy with my setup, not carrying too many unnecessary discs that I don't throw. The Savant has worn in to start turning rather easily but goes similar straight lines as Valkyries I've had, but goes even further. I've got slightly more armspeed aswell so that might explain it. The Roc flies really nicely about 300f time to time.

I'm considering a KC Pro Roc as my next addition as I love it in baseline, but I would like a plastic that could maintain the flight characteristics for a little longer. I am scared of actually scratching my Roc into a tree as it flies amazing right now.

Keep it up guys and let's see what next year brings us
Old 09-26-2019, 09:41 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 32 Times in 25 Posts

This bag looks really solid, the only spot that i have in my bag that you don’t is the overstable approach disc. I use a pro rhyno, but anything like a zone or harp would be great. You may have that shot covered but i use mine quite a bit. Touch forehands save a lot of strokes out there. KC rocs are a great, and don’t be afraid of hitting trees with them, that is where they get their magic. They last a lot longer than the internet says, i’ve had one hang around for 3 years before a pond claimed it.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-28-2019, 02:43 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konza_kid View Post
This bag looks really solid, the only spot that i have in my bag that you don’t is the overstable approach disc. I use a pro rhyno, but anything like a zone or harp would be great. You may have that shot covered but i use mine quite a bit. Touch forehands save a lot of strokes out there. KC rocs are a great, and don’t be afraid of hitting trees with them, that is where they get their magic. They last a lot longer than the internet says, i’ve had one hang around for 3 years before a pond claimed it.
The S-line P2 used to be my go-to for these but I beated it up. You are probably talking about more OS discs for those shots. I've considered getting a Zone for that purpose. Also Harp seems like a good choice too.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:40 AM
Par Member

Niced 89 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
The S-line P2 used to be my go-to for these but I beated it up. You are probably talking about more OS discs for those shots. I've considered getting a Zone for that purpose. Also Harp seems like a good choice too.
I bag the harp and tried a zone when the McBeth ones came out. Same disc different feel. Also I’d say grab a harp if you like baseline plastic, zone if you prefer premium.