Old 08-21-2019, 09:38 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 27
Niced 502 Times in 208 Posts
Default Disc Golf World Team Championships - LIVE now

They are off and running in Estonia.

The US still don't seem to have embraced this competition yet but the Finns have set the stall out to win with a near full strength team. France have also travelled strong with nearly all their top rated players in attendance as have Germany.

Finns are the hot favourites but Canada and New Zealand have both had good showings in the past and British based US team member Josh Birmingham has just picked one up against the head vs Emile Barbe of France a much higher rated player.

I loves a bit of match play I do.

a number of my DGUK team members are out there for the UK, hoping for big things from young Noah Smithson just turned 15 and current British Open champ and Jon Tweed who's only lost a couple of match play events competitively previously despite his low rating.

There is live stream available of each round - https://wtdgc2019.com/live/
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2019, 10:38 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 124
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 736 Times in 343 Posts

That's cool, I've never even heard of this event.
Is there going to be any post-produced coverage, and from whom?

It's not surprising to me that this event doesn't have much traction in the US, since it's right after World's. I'm sure it's a much more feasible option for many European competitors, and as such I'd expect a high level of talent to be on display.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,603 Times in 1,499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
That's cool, I've never even heard of this event.

It's not surprising to me that this event doesn't have much traction in the US, since it's right after World's. I'm sure it's a much more feasible option for many European competitors, and as such I'd expect a high level of talent to be on display.
Scheduling is the biggest issue. Even when it's been in North America, the tour has been on the other side of the continent when it's gone on. And that was when the PDGA was involved with it (major in 2016). Now that there is no PDGA affiliation, it's not even an after thought, it's a no thought.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:54 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Scheduling is the biggest issue. Even when it's been in North America, the tour has been on the other side of the continent when it's gone on. And that was when the PDGA was involved with it (major in 2016). Now that there is no PDGA affiliation, it's not even an after thought, it's a no thought.

Probably the biggest issue is there is no payout and it costs a chunk of change to compete! It's effectively an amateur event. You lot don't seem to like playing for glory alone

Would be interesting to see what would happen if they schedule the next one the weekend before or after European Open or another such big one. Would any of the US Pros stick around to compete for the title alone? I'm guessing no. I'm heartened to see a number of the top Finns over there playing, they had a good team out last time but a really strong one this time, I heard there was some talk in the German camp of Lizotte not being allowed to play for team Germany in the next Euro Champs unless he competed here although I'd imagine that got shut down.

I'm stuck to the live scores at the moment even though our lot are getting slaughtered by the strong Estonians (their ratings really haven't caught up with their ability yet over there!)
Team match play events on a national scale are just more fun to spectate/get behind than individual strokeplay.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-22-2019, 10:27 AM
Eagle Member

And My Boy Phil Blount wins in the singles 3 and 1 and Jon Tweed and James Luton are drawing at 11 under with one to play, these are my favourite people to play locally with, great to see them on the World stage playing well -this course is no joke either, long and tough with lots of OB.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-22-2019, 02:16 PM

Niced 39 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhatton1 View Post
Probably the biggest issue is there is no payout and it costs a chunk of change to compete! It's effectively an amateur event. You lot don't seem to like playing for glory alone

Would be interesting to see what would happen if they schedule the next one the weekend before or after European Open or another such big one. Would any of the US Pros stick around to compete for the title alone? I'm guessing no.
All the top US players accepted the honor of competing for glory in the Presidents Cup. I don't think you're actually blaming the players here, but it's unfair to say they don't care about good international competition.

I have nothing against the WFDF, but it's very obvious that this event has nothing to offer the top players on the US Tour. The fact that it was scheduled the week after Worlds means that even the organizers are conceding that fact.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:55 PM

Niced 39 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhatton1 View Post
... I heard there was some talk in the German camp of Lizotte not being allowed to play for team Germany in the next Euro Champs unless he competed here although I'd imagine that got shut down. ...
As a side note, ultimatums like this are exactly why I'm not at all excited by the idea of encouraging team-based competition. Threatening Simon for not skipping out on his PDGA Tour event(s) would just lead to resentment and hard-feelings. It's unfair and unnecessary.

I love the global camaraderie of individual sports like disc golf. When everyone is playing for themselves everyone seems to support each other a bit by default. When you slap on an artificial team structure, it becomes "us" vs "them", and people get upset when someone else doesn't join their team. It's all unnecessary drama.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,603 Times in 1,499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattS View Post
As a side note, ultimatums like this are exactly why I'm not at all excited by the idea of encouraging team-based competition. Threatening Simon for not skipping out on his PDGA Tour event(s) would just lead to resentment and hard-feelings. It's unfair and unnecessary.

I love the global camaraderie of individual sports like disc golf. When everyone is playing for themselves everyone seems to support each other a bit by default. When you slap on an artificial team structure, it becomes "us" vs "them", and people get upset when someone else doesn't join their team. It's all unnecessary drama.
I only wonder if Team Germany would be paying for Simon to fly from the US to Estonia, his food and lodging while he was there, and a flight back to the US afterward? Because that would be the only way to justify that sort of ultimatum. Can't really force someone to spend that kind of money (and time) for a "pride" event.

The Presidents Cup only works because it's tied to a larger event where all the participants are already going to be around. If it was a stand alone event requiring travel to participate, it wouldn't exist. Or at least, not in a form that included the many/most of the top players in the world.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 820 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
The pre-recorded live streams on the site. Just fast forward as/if needed.

Old 08-23-2019, 04:28 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
I only wonder if Team Germany would be paying for Simon to fly from the US to Estonia, his food and lodging while he was there, and a flight back to the US afterward? Because that would be the only way to justify that sort of ultimatum. Can't really force someone to spend that kind of money (and time) for a "pride" event.

The Presidents Cup only works because it's tied to a larger event where all the participants are already going to be around. If it was a stand alone event requiring travel to participate, it wouldn't exist. Or at least, not in a form that included the many/most of the top players in the world.
At the moment both the Presidents cup and this won't attract players whose sole livelihood depends on the sport but as they grow promoters behind them will be able to pay the players to pay without a payout at the end. I'm excited to see the growth of these kind of events alongside the traditional strokeplay events.