Old 09-08-2019, 09:15 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 271
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 170 Times in 73 Posts
Default What's happening at the Tim Selinske Masters??

Paul McBeth posted this on Facebook:

There is no excuse for a PDGA Major! They should be the smoothest running tournaments in our sport. I understand payout depends on sponsorships but there is no excuses for what’s going on at the Tim Selinske US Masters Championships.

Anyone know what's up??
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2019, 09:54 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 32
Niced 573 Times in 306 Posts

I clicked on the link...

Tim Selinske US Masters Championship. A PDGA MAJOR disappointment. I’m not one to jump on a bandwagon and complain but it’s time to say something. I have been running events, playing and attending major tournaments for a long time and this is getting ridiculous. I’m not putting Steve on blast or the few people that are volunteering their time to help because the PDGA is allowing this to happen. Masters Worlds the last two years has been a joke. The US Masters this year is a joke. I realize that this age bracket isn’t what draws in spectators and you tube viewers but it doesn’t change the fact that you promote these events as Major Championships. They are glorified C Tiers. Zero effort, zero pageantry, horrible turnout, jamming 3 shotgun starts into one day, garage mats pieced together for tee pads and playing 2 good courses in 4 rounds of competition. Maybe if you put in more effort more people would show. Perhaps if this wasn’t the ass end of a three week stretch of major events for the tournament director this would be better. Where are the standards for this. I realize age protected divisions are an afterthought for you but we pay our fees and spend our money as well. Half assed events are a bad look. Courses covered in glass and needles are a bad look. Offending and tossing aside a large portion of the pioneers of this sport is a bad look. This needs to change. There needs to be effort involved by the PDGA and the tournament director otherwise please stop wasting our time and money.

From Jonathan Ray.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-09-2019, 07:55 AM
.:Discraft Pro Michael Johansen:.

Years Playing: 21.7
Courses Played: 162
Niced 1,280 Times in 195 Posts

It just had no feel at all of being what is called a Major by the PDGA. Felt more like a local B or C tier event

Old 09-09-2019, 09:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,840 Times in 787 Posts

Waaaay too many Majors in this game...

Old 09-09-2019, 09:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,546 Times in 1,485 Posts

McBeth ought to shut his damn mouth. He wasn't there, we don't need his uninformed opinion.

The only people bitching were the so-called elites, spoiled by the extra attention that the MPO/FPO majors (and NTs and DGPTs) tend to get. The event wasn't at the level of an MPO major to be certain, but it felt pretty damn big and important to me, a player who doesn't often get to such events.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-09-2019, 10:08 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 21.5
Courses Played: 122
Niced 15 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Waaaay too many Majors in this game...
this.

USDGC, Worlds, European Open. that should be it.

too many majors and WAY too many divisions these days. everyone's a winner/participation trophy culture.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:09 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 21.5
Courses Played: 122
Niced 15 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
McBeth ought to shut his damn mouth. He wasn't there, we don't need his uninformed opinion.

The only people bitching were the so-called elites, spoiled by the extra attention that the MPO/FPO majors (and NTs and DGPTs) tend to get. The event wasn't at the level of an MPO major to be certain, but it felt pretty damn big and important to me, a player who doesn't often get to such events.
the payout looked quite bad and newton hill is not even an A tier quality course let alone a major. its a fun, cool course just not suitable for a big tournament.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,546 Times in 1,485 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeButch View Post
the payout looked quite bad and newton hill is not even an A tier quality course let alone a major. its a fun, cool course just not suitable for a big tournament.
The payout met minimum standards for the event. If people had higher expectations than the minimum, that's on them.

Newton Hill has its flaws, but what exactly is an "A tier quality course"? I've played A-tiers on much worse courses than it. I recall playing at least one Am Worlds on a lesser course than it. Which brings me to the key thing to bear in mind with this event...the Selinske is not a Pro major. It is a Pro-Am major. Thus there have to be courses that are appropriate for amateur levels of play, and to the chagrin of some of the elite players, scheduling requires that the pros play a round (or two) on those courses. I think Newton meets those standards (haphazard tee surfaces aside).

The vibe I get from all the whining is that some players didn't feel catered to enough. And the problem in that is that this tournament isn't all about catering to them alone.

Niced: (5)
Old 09-09-2019, 11:14 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 112
Niced 273 Times in 133 Posts

Not shocked DF is one of the players complaining.

Niced: (1)

Old 09-09-2019, 11:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,287 Times in 1,454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeButch View Post
this.

USDGC, Worlds, European Open. that should be it.
One day we'll bestow the title of Super-Majors on those, to reflect their status above mere Majors.