Old 10-13-2017, 10:58 AM

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Silica dust and carbon black are nothing to screw around with. I don't care if you're not grinding it down...sitting in the sun drying out more and more all day, that stuff gets on your shoes, your bag, your pants...

Breathing dust that contains respirable crystalline silica can lead to silicosis, a deadly lung disease. No
effective treatment exists for silicosis. Exposure to crystalline silica has also been linked to lung cancer, kidney disease, reduced lung function, and other disorder. (NIOSH 2002)

HardiePanel is 30-45% crystalline silica... I'd rather not take my chances. Why risk it at all? Why use something unsafe for an unintended purpose, under conditions for which the material is not designed?

I can totally appreciate the time, ingenuity, and effort that goes into testing. I also think that this is a prototype. If viewed as a prototype/test then this provides some valuable information. 1)Never sacrifice safety. 2)Use materials in their intended manner. 3)Maybe there is another way to provide the feel of a concrete wear surface without using fiber cement boards.

We tested some surface materials that are intended to mimic the feel of concrete but they were never strong enough or cheap enough to be a viable solution. i.e. This surface material is what they use on navy aircraft carriers.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-13-2017, 11:00 AM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
What if I routinely beat my head against the tee after shanking drives into trees?
I think I've seen that before, ancient technique.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 71 Times in 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeeboxCo._Levi B. View Post
Silica dust and carbon black are nothing to screw around with. I don't care if you're not grinding it down...sitting in the sun drying out more and more all day, that stuff gets on your shoes, your bag, your pants...

Breathing dust that contains respirable crystalline silica can lead to silicosis, a deadly lung disease. No
effective treatment exists for silicosis. Exposure to crystalline silica has also been linked to lung cancer, kidney disease, reduced lung function, and other disorder. (NIOSH 2002)

HardiePanel is 30-45% crystalline silica... I'd rather not take my chances. Why risk it at all? Why use something unsafe for an unintended purpose, under conditions for which the material is not designed?

I can totally appreciate the time, ingenuity, and effort that goes into testing. I also think that this is a prototype. If viewed as a prototype/test then this provides some valuable information. 1)Never sacrifice safety. 2)Use materials in their intended manner. 3)Maybe there is another way to provide the feel of a concrete wear surface without using fiber cement boards.

We tested some surface materials that are intended to mimic the feel of concrete but they were never strong enough or cheap enough to be a viable solution. i.e. This surface material is what they use on navy aircraft carriers.
So should we abandon cement teepads too? They also contain 40% sand just like cement board.....
Old 10-13-2017, 12:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 71 Times in 55 Posts

FWIW: I love, love, love, love turf teepads.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:16 PM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhadella View Post
So should we abandon cement teepads too? They also contain 40% sand just like cement board.....
Yeah, because that was my point and all...
Old 10-13-2017, 07:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 113
Niced 67 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeeboxCo._Levi B. View Post
It's probably not as severe as it sounds however Category 1 carcinogens are proven to cause cancer in humans and animals. "The classification in this category is largely based on human evidence, human studies that establish a causal
relationship between human exposure to a substance and the development of cancer."

I'm all for temporary solutions and cheap alternatives to anything in this world but there's no need to sacrifice safety. Those panels end up turning into dust (when unfinished) and that dust is toxic.

We tested some temporary stuff but nothing worked better for a quick and cheap solution than rubber athletic flooring or turf w/ a rubber pad on a wooden panel and metal frame.

Any idea how much one of those costs per pad?
Old 10-14-2017, 12:06 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 9 Times in 6 Posts

I would ask the guy from The Teebox Company. He's been advertising on this thread.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-14-2017, 10:32 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 80
Niced 26 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblee View Post
I would ask the guy from The Teebox Company. He's been advertising on this thread.
I wouldn’t say “advertising”. Mostly just accusing his competition of giving you cancer.

The next time I see a fellow disc golfer on one of those cement backer board tee pads, with no hat or sunscreen, smoking and drinking a beer, I’m going to alert him to the danger lurking just below the soles of his shoes. And the hand him a pair of slip-on OR booties.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:37 AM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knettles View Post
Any idea how much one of those costs per pad?
I can send you some plans. After the metal frame was built I'd say around $300ish. Without the metal frame it's closer to $140 per.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:36 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 133
Niced 490 Times in 369 Posts

I have a bunch of scrap of this style cement board if any north metro MN local is interested. Seems like it would work fine even without the frame/base as long as surface was prepped well? Great idea being you could acquire tons of these "leftover" materials for free. Specially wood and cement board.