Old 09-28-2017, 01:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 113
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 67 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
Should OH throws "flip" and not stay vertical the entire flight? My 'hawks stay vertical while my thumbers flip. The 'hawks usually end up about 75' further.
Ya, I'm not very flexible and have a hard time getting a tommy to a vertical enough angle to get it to flip. If I am in a situation where I need to throw an overhand that ends left, I'll throw a more understable disc with a tomahawk which will help me get it to barrel roll.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2017, 07:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 117
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 192 Times in 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
Should OH throws "flip" and not stay vertical the entire flight? My 'hawks stay vertical while my thumbers flip. The 'hawks usually end up about 75' further.
Agree with above posts, but it also depends on what you're going for. For max distance, you definitely want an overstable disc with some speed, released quite close to vertical. For overhands, that overstability tends to make it "flip" or "pan out" more slowly. Getting the angles figured out is key, of course. Tomahawks were always more natural for me (maybe cuz I started as a FH dominant player) but I finally figured out thumber grip/angles and now that works.

Overall, I think people that only throw distance overhands are kind of misguided. In my experience, there's almost always a backhand or forehand line when you're thinking about atrempting that 250-300' tommy. For shorter throws and to get around obstacles, mastering the overhand flight path with various discs (including neutral and understable) is very useful. So again, it depends what you're going for...

Old 09-29-2017, 01:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 185
Niced 630 Times in 469 Posts

Vertical entire flight = roller.