Old 10-10-2019, 08:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,221 Times in 1,961 Posts

Stance/stride is staggered too closed. Stride right foot to the right/inside of your left foot.

Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-11-2019, 10:47 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 288 Times in 219 Posts

Am I getting forward enough onto the front hip? I don't feel like I'm jamming up, but I know my rear knee should be coming in more, maybe the straighter stride and plant would help that. I think I'm closer but not there yet.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
Am I getting forward enough onto the front hip? I don't feel like I'm jamming up, but I know my rear knee should be coming in more, maybe the straighter stride and plant would help that. I think I'm closer but not there yet.
Yeah you are getting closer, it doesn't really look like a jam, but not able to get upright enough on front hip because you are losing so much hip depth.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=133543
Old 10-11-2019, 03:25 PM
Eagle Member

What hip depth mean? I haven't heard that before. I'm assuming something related to my stride stance/plant stance.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
What hip depth mean? I haven't heard that before. I'm assuming something related to my stride stance/plant stance.
Aka buttwipe pressure, see first vid in link “clearing the hips”.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:51 PM
Eagle Member

Some recent notes on putting for myself, and what to fix when its not working:

1) Putt THROUGH the basket. I know this one, but sometimes I forget to visualize that and I'm more throwing "at" the basket. This is probably #1 in priority of things to remember.

2) Keep firm hand pressure on the disc throughout the backswing. I sometimes tend to let the disc go loose in the backswing and then I get inconsistent releases.

3) Kick back leg out for balance. This one I still need to work on quite a bit. It's not seeming to matter for inside 20', but it really does add effortless power and balance. This isn't quite engrained yet for me.

4) Let the disc weight release itself from my hand at the basket. Opening up the hand early = hitting the bottom of the pole. Need to trust that the wrist release will happen late and basically passive. This isn't too crucial for me inside the circle, but really helps add spin and distance at longer distances.

5) Keep my head from rising up and keep it approximately over top of the front foot. I think of my head as the height "governor" for my putt. Inside the circle there's no need for the head to move upwards and when I get lazy about this I start missing high.

When I do all these things, I'm banging chains!
Old 10-21-2019, 08:01 PM
Eagle Member

And another question about grip.... Grip seems so critical to a good throw. I get an extra 25-50' all else being equal when I focus on gripping hard at release. I've got small hands and never had amazing grip strength even when lifting heavy so maybe its more important just for me.

My question is how much of the pressure should be applied by the thumb vs the fingers under the rim? I know they aren't really independent of each other but what makes me ask this is watching some of the recent Jomez coverage. Seems like a lot of pros have the thumb just kind of resting on top and not really pressing down on the flight plate much during the run-up. And I remember a random video this year of Paul talking about how he could almost throw without using his thumb. And it's making me think about my own grip and I think I'm probably focusing more on thumb pressure than finger pressure under the rim. So does something like 70% fingers 30% thumb sound about right?
Old 10-22-2019, 01:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Try Robbie Bratten's 2 finger. I like how Dave D describes the thumb trapping the disc.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...57&postcount=4
Old 10-22-2019, 01:20 AM
Par Member

Niced 169 Times in 95 Posts

Quote:
And another question about grip.... Grip seems so critical to a good throw. I get an extra 25-50' all else being equal when I focus on gripping hard at release. I've got small hands and never had amazing grip strength even when lifting heavy so maybe its more important just for me.

My question is how much of the pressure should be applied by the thumb vs the fingers under the rim? I know they aren't really independent of each other but what makes me ask this is watching some of the recent Jomez coverage. Seems like a lot of pros have the thumb just kind of resting on top and not really pressing down on the flight plate much during the run-up. And I remember a random video this year of Paul talking about how he could almost throw without using his thumb. And it's making me think about my own grip and I think I'm probably focusing more on thumb pressure than finger pressure under the rim. So does something like 70% fingers 30% thumb sound about right?
Grip is such a tough topic. When it´s warm outside I would reply that pretty much any grip will do, now that it´s cold all grips suck . I personally know a lot of professional disc golfers who can crush the disc over 550+ and they have almost nothing in common with their grips. SW22 is probably going to chime in soon and suggest robbies two finger grip which never really clicked on me.

Mainly we grip things with our fingers clamping against our thumb muscle and that´s how I am trying to grip the disc atleast in the winter. Pretty much every single "finger-grip" kills my fingers during the cold seasons.
I think the the right question to ask would be what we are trying to achive with the grip, what is the right task? I don´t have an answer to that. That would be an intresting topic to discuss.

Old 10-22-2019, 10:47 AM
Eagle Member

Interesting, it seems like how Dunipace is describing it is how I think about it. It just seems counter to seeing Eagle and other players putting the thumb more towards the center. I can't imagine how I would be able to grip the disc hard and allow it to pivot with the thumb that far inside. It must be moving back towards the rim at release or something.

Also my favorite video of Dunipace is him casually hitting two standstill 50' putts in a row. Never knew he had that level of skill.