Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: Which of these best describes Hole 18 at the Utah Open?
A par 2 where 38% of throws are errors, and 1% of throws are hero throws. 6 25.00%
A par 3 where 24% of throws are errors, and 33% of throws are hero throws. 16 66.67%
A par 4 where 16% of throws are hero throws, and 23% are double heroes. 1 4.17%
A par 5 where 37% of throws are hero throws, and 21% are double heroes. 0 0%
A par 6 where 16% of throws are hero throws, and 62% are double heroes. 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #3951  
Old 09-27-2019, 12:02 PM
zjones9's Avatar
zjones9 zjones9 is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Zebulon, NC
Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 69
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 164
Niced 22 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
I think this work deserves its own thread.
"Get off my lawn" -Steve West

On a serious note, I agree. This is a completely separate topic to the par debate.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #3952  
Old 09-27-2019, 12:22 PM
ChrisWoj's Avatar
ChrisWoj ChrisWoj is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 144
Posts: 950
Niced 278 Times in 167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjones9 View Post
"Get off my lawn" -Steve West

On a serious note, I agree. This is a completely separate topic to the par debate.
True. I'll start one when I post my trial instrument. This seemed like a good place to hear from anyone who cares about analysis of disc golf holes.
Reply With Quote
  #3953  
Old 09-27-2019, 12:41 PM
jeverett's Avatar
jeverett jeverett is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Eugene, OR
Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 1,201
Niced 48 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
I'm looking to develop an instrument for quantifying enjoyment. I am curious whether or not anything like it has been done before to use that in improving the quality of what I develop - but as convergent reliability can't exist without converging instruments I won't be able to report that in developing conclusions about the quality of the measure. I'd like to see if any others are out there, but if not - this is just the first, and could be used to help with any that others develop moving forward.
I suspect you're going to run into the same problem that research on game design does: people don't all 'play' for the same reasons, get the same things 'out' of the experience, or even enjoy the same game-play experiences. I don't know if it helps any, but here is one particular article that I liked a lot:

Yee, N. (2007). Motivations of play in online games. Journal of Cyberpsychology and Behavior, 9, 772-775.

For reference, Yee applied factor analysis to previous (1996) work done on player primary motivational archetypes (Bartle).

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #3954  
Old 09-27-2019, 03:03 PM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Posts: 15,194
Niced 3,474 Times in 1,515 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
Does anyone here know of any measures of hole enjoyment that exist? I'm looking to develop a useful instrument for measuring enjoyment of holes to possibly use in analysis with more concrete/tangible measures of the way our holes play. Anything that is already out there could be used to help me measure convergent validity of my own instrument with others.
I measure it on our local course by how often players, in casual rounds, ask to throw multiple tee shots.

Though I wonder if I'm falsely perceiving a twinge of sarcasm, in the search for an objective measure for a subjective aspect of disc golf.
Reply With Quote
  #3955  
Old 09-27-2019, 03:11 PM
ChrisWoj's Avatar
ChrisWoj ChrisWoj is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 144
Posts: 950
Niced 278 Times in 167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverett View Post
I suspect you're going to run into the same problem that research on game design does: people don't all 'play' for the same reasons, get the same things 'out' of the experience, or even enjoy the same game-play experiences. I don't know if it helps any, but here is one particular article that I liked a lot:

Yee, N. (2007). Motivations of play in online games. Journal of Cyberpsychology and Behavior, 9, 772-775.

For reference, Yee applied factor analysis to previous (1996) work done on player primary motivational archetypes (Bartle).
You're absolutely right. Another thing to bring up when I start a thread on it.

I'll PM you on the Yee study, which I like and dislike.
Reply With Quote
  #3956  
Old 09-27-2019, 03:12 PM
ChrisWoj's Avatar
ChrisWoj ChrisWoj is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 144
Posts: 950
Niced 278 Times in 167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I measure it on our local course by how often players, in casual rounds, ask to throw multiple tee shots.

Though I wonder if I'm falsely perceiving a twinge of sarcasm, in the search for an objective measure for a subjective aspect of disc golf.
An objective measure for relative sensation.
Reply With Quote
  #3957  
Old 09-27-2019, 03:16 PM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Posts: 15,194
Niced 3,474 Times in 1,515 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
An objective measure for relative sensation.
Like rating courses?
Reply With Quote
  #3958  
Old 09-27-2019, 03:24 PM
ChrisWoj's Avatar
ChrisWoj ChrisWoj is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 144
Posts: 950
Niced 278 Times in 167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Like rating courses?
To some extent - the goal is a unidimensional construct with abstract invariance (those scrabble words basically translate to: a ruler). A ruler for measuring relative enjoyment for each hole. A perfect case would provide perfect additive properties, and some theorists claim a good survey instrument can do that with a well defined construct but I'm not totally convinced though I see value in the ability of a well constructed instrument to provide some of that invariance, minimizing error - X = T + E (outcome equals true score plus error).
Reply With Quote
  #3959  
Old 09-27-2019, 03:25 PM
ChrisWoj's Avatar
ChrisWoj ChrisWoj is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 144
Posts: 950
Niced 278 Times in 167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
I think this work deserves its own thread.
Considering people are getting active and its going on more than I expected - I'll PM someone about splitting this.
Reply With Quote
 

  #3960  
Old 09-27-2019, 09:34 PM
BogeyNoMore's Avatar
BogeyNoMore BogeyNoMore is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Walled Lake, MI
Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 313
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 9,864
Niced 2,240 Times in 1,111 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
I'm looking to develop an instrument for quantifying enjoyment. I am curious whether or not anything like it has been done before to use that in improving the quality of what I develop - but as convergent reliability can't exist without converging instruments I won't be able to report that in developing conclusions about the quality of the measure. I'd like to see if any others are out there, but if not - this is just the first, and could be used to help with any that others develop moving forward.
While it doesn't necessarily delve in to "quantifying" the factors that make holes enjoyable,the "Fun Factor" in hole design thread does a pretty good job identifying specific features or attributes that make holes enjoyable.

Assuming one equates fun with enjoyability.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Par 4s - multiple in a row or sprinkle par 3s into them? ToddL Course Design 9 02-23-2018 10:47 AM
Poorly designed par 4,5,and par 6 holes and bad high par courses optidiscic Course Design 159 09-12-2014 11:53 AM
Cgkdisc and jeverett talk about par Steve West Course Design 53 05-05-2012 09:37 AM
Deuce or die par 3's or play for par, par 3's? BrotherDave Disc Golf Courses 14 04-29-2011 01:04 AM
Par and Pro Par for multiple tees with different pars? marcusmpe General Disc Golf Chat 6 04-26-2010 07:13 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.