Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: Which of these best describes Hole 18 at the Utah Open?
A par 2 where 38% of throws are errors, and 1% of throws are hero throws. 6 25.00%
A par 3 where 24% of throws are errors, and 33% of throws are hero throws. 16 66.67%
A par 4 where 16% of throws are hero throws, and 23% are double heroes. 1 4.17%
A par 5 where 37% of throws are hero throws, and 21% are double heroes. 0 0%
A par 6 where 16% of throws are hero throws, and 62% are double heroes. 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2019, 12:02 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 69
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 22 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
I think this work deserves its own thread.
"Get off my lawn" -Steve West

On a serious note, I agree. This is a completely separate topic to the par debate.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2019, 12:22 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 144
Niced 278 Times in 167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjones9 View Post
"Get off my lawn" -Steve West

On a serious note, I agree. This is a completely separate topic to the par debate.
True. I'll start one when I post my trial instrument. This seemed like a good place to hear from anyone who cares about analysis of disc golf holes.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 48 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
I'm looking to develop an instrument for quantifying enjoyment. I am curious whether or not anything like it has been done before to use that in improving the quality of what I develop - but as convergent reliability can't exist without converging instruments I won't be able to report that in developing conclusions about the quality of the measure. I'd like to see if any others are out there, but if not - this is just the first, and could be used to help with any that others develop moving forward.
I suspect you're going to run into the same problem that research on game design does: people don't all 'play' for the same reasons, get the same things 'out' of the experience, or even enjoy the same game-play experiences. I don't know if it helps any, but here is one particular article that I liked a lot:

Yee, N. (2007). Motivations of play in online games. Journal of Cyberpsychology and Behavior, 9, 772-775.

For reference, Yee applied factor analysis to previous (1996) work done on player primary motivational archetypes (Bartle).

Niced: (1)
Old 09-27-2019, 03:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,474 Times in 1,515 Posts

Quote:
Does anyone here know of any measures of hole enjoyment that exist? I'm looking to develop a useful instrument for measuring enjoyment of holes to possibly use in analysis with more concrete/tangible measures of the way our holes play. Anything that is already out there could be used to help me measure convergent validity of my own instrument with others.
I measure it on our local course by how often players, in casual rounds, ask to throw multiple tee shots.

Though I wonder if I'm falsely perceiving a twinge of sarcasm, in the search for an objective measure for a subjective aspect of disc golf.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:11 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverett View Post
I suspect you're going to run into the same problem that research on game design does: people don't all 'play' for the same reasons, get the same things 'out' of the experience, or even enjoy the same game-play experiences. I don't know if it helps any, but here is one particular article that I liked a lot:

Yee, N. (2007). Motivations of play in online games. Journal of Cyberpsychology and Behavior, 9, 772-775.

For reference, Yee applied factor analysis to previous (1996) work done on player primary motivational archetypes (Bartle).
You're absolutely right. Another thing to bring up when I start a thread on it.

I'll PM you on the Yee study, which I like and dislike.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:12 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I measure it on our local course by how often players, in casual rounds, ask to throw multiple tee shots.

Though I wonder if I'm falsely perceiving a twinge of sarcasm, in the search for an objective measure for a subjective aspect of disc golf.
An objective measure for relative sensation.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,474 Times in 1,515 Posts

Quote:
An objective measure for relative sensation.
Like rating courses?
Old 09-27-2019, 03:24 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Like rating courses?
To some extent - the goal is a unidimensional construct with abstract invariance (those scrabble words basically translate to: a ruler). A ruler for measuring relative enjoyment for each hole. A perfect case would provide perfect additive properties, and some theorists claim a good survey instrument can do that with a well defined construct but I'm not totally convinced though I see value in the ability of a well constructed instrument to provide some of that invariance, minimizing error - X = T + E (outcome equals true score plus error).
Old 09-27-2019, 03:25 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
I think this work deserves its own thread.
Considering people are getting active and its going on more than I expected - I'll PM someone about splitting this.

Old 09-27-2019, 09:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 313
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,240 Times in 1,111 Posts

Quote:
I'm looking to develop an instrument for quantifying enjoyment. I am curious whether or not anything like it has been done before to use that in improving the quality of what I develop - but as convergent reliability can't exist without converging instruments I won't be able to report that in developing conclusions about the quality of the measure. I'd like to see if any others are out there, but if not - this is just the first, and could be used to help with any that others develop moving forward.
While it doesn't necessarily delve in to "quantifying" the factors that make holes enjoyable,the "Fun Factor" in hole design thread does a pretty good job identifying specific features or attributes that make holes enjoyable.

Assuming one equates fun with enjoyability.

Niced: (1)