Old 09-26-2019, 03:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,245 Times in 710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerface View Post
I don't entirely disagree with you, but my guess is Innova almost certainly takes a net loss on this event. If Innova was making considerable profits themselves, then it could be reasonable for the players to expect a kick back via purse money, but until then the exposure itself is the payoff.

It already has one of the highest payouts for an event and almost nobody (Innova, TDs, Volunteers, some media partners) are making a direct profit from the event. Fulcrum of course is making money. Innova likely throws this in the marketing costs column on the balance sheet. IMO the players are in no position to expect anything from the PPV revenue.
Thx, I understand all that, and I was talking about the PPV side of things as it's own entity, something 100% outside of everything else about the tournament. By itself...it would seem interesting for an entity to come along and say, hey..I want to provide live coverage and sell PPV tickets and not give any profits to the players. That's all I'm discussing in this scenario. Guessing the other media outlets are watching this unfold very carefully.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-26-2019, 03:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.4
Courses Played: 152
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,975 Times in 1,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
I was trying to understand this previous comment to my post... which made it sound like if players get a cut of the PPV profits, then players should also take a cut in the purse to pay for ppv expenses.
I think what David was saying is that the players' "cut" of the PPV revenues is already baked into the purse by virtue of the fact that PPV enables Innova/USDGC to divert their money into other things. No PPV means Innova is footing more of that bill themselves and as a result would have less money to put into the purse. So unless there's some evidence that a portion of the purse has been diverted in spite of that, the players really have no further claim.

Basically, Innova has X dollars earmarked for the event. That covers media costs, operational costs, added cash to the purse, etc. The less they take out of X to cover media is more out of X that can be funneled to the purse. So the players are going to benefit financially from the pay-per-view, it's just an indirect benefit.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-26-2019, 03:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,300 Times in 698 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post

Guess what... CCDG, SmashBoxx, GK Pro, etc were not invited to to film either. Innova went with what was probably a more fiscally smart move and kept it on the spinTV channel.

Innova knows all the numbers. What it would cost them for Jomez vs the potential lost views by not having it on their channel.
Just curious, do you think you or your fellow youtube crews would come out if the event said you could film only 3rd and 4th cards? Would that garner enough views to make it worth it?
Old 09-26-2019, 03:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Niced 1,245 Times in 710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
I think what David was saying is that the players' "cut" of the PPV revenues is already baked into the purse by virtue of the fact that PPV enables Innova/USDGC to divert their money into other things. No PPV means Innova is footing more of that bill themselves and as a result would have less money to put into the purse. So unless there's some evidence that a portion of the purse has been diverted in spite of that, the players really have no further claim.

Basically, Innova has X dollars earmarked for the event. That covers media costs, operational costs, added cash to the purse, etc. The less they take out of X to cover media is more out of X that can be funneled to the purse. So the players are going to benefit financially from the pay-per-view, it's just an indirect benefit.
Based on the highlighted section it would sound like any revenue from views,ads, etc, in the past the players would have gotten a kick back at some point but I'm guessing they didn't. I get what you're saying, but I'm just looking at the PPV angle as it's own product, and moving forward, I would hope the PDGA would put some kind of deal in place that when giving PPV rights to a PDGA event, it also mandates some kind of percentage of sales goes into the pro purse.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.4
Niced 1,431 Times in 828 Posts

Quote:
Based on the highlighted section it would sound like any revenue from views,ads, etc, in the past the players would have gotten a kick back at some point but I'm guessing they didn't. I get what you're saying, but I'm just looking at the PPV angle as it's own product, and moving forward, I would hope the PDGA would put some kind of deal in place that when giving PPV rights to a PDGA event, it also mandates some kind of percentage of sales goes into the pro purse.
Why do you keep wanting to make it harder for disc golf to succeed? Almost every idea you put forth would do nothing but drive the sport/game even farther away from becoming successful enough to warrant outside interest.

If anything, the PDGA rules need to be loosened to allow the TD / event organizer to make an actual profit.

Old 09-26-2019, 04:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,509 Times in 1,013 Posts

Quote:
That is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard. The PDGA has rules about size of purse relative to entry fee by tier- that is more than sufficient.

Old 09-26-2019, 04:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,509 Times in 1,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
Why do you keep wanting to make it harder for disc golf to succeed? Almost every idea you put forth would do nothing but drive the sport/game even farther away from becoming successful enough to warrant outside interest.

If anything, the PDGA rules need to be loosened to allow the TD / event organizer to make an actual profit.
nice a million times

Old 09-26-2019, 04:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.4
Courses Played: 152
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,975 Times in 1,639 Posts

Quote:
I doubt we're anywhere near such a place where such requirements are necessary. Primarily because we're likely no where near a place where revenues from a PPV broadcast are going to significantly exceed the costs of putting out said broadcast. In other words, until broadcasts are actually profitable, we really don't need to worry about where the profit goes.

Where you may have a case isn't in the PPV model but in the post-produced model. At present, media groups like Jomez and CCDG are being paid by the event (and/or the PDGA) to be there to broadcast. They are quite literally taking money that could be put into the purse (or other event amenities from which the players could benefit) and handing it to the media crews. Media crews who in turn make additional revenue from ads as well as their Patreon accounts.

I think we're fast approaching a point where those media crews will be paying the events for the rights to film and post videos, and the revenue the event generates from collecting those fees will be passed on to the players via the purse and other amenities.

Old 09-26-2019, 04:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 2,054 Times in 487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
Just curious, do you think you or your fellow youtube crews would come out if the event said you could film only 3rd and 4th cards? Would that garner enough views to make it worth it?
I think that some would. But it would require some outside sponsorship. And usdgc has been traditionally been reluctant to outside influence.

Old 09-26-2019, 04:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 12
Niced 1,207 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post

Fitty likes to hear his keyboard rattle, therefore he posts "ideas".

Niced: (1)