Old 01-16-2020, 10:02 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 140 Times in 80 Posts
Default Why would you want to be sponsored?

So Simon posted a bit on sponsorship recently and there were no surprises, work hard and you may realize the dream.

In 2016 I had one entry level Innova deal explained to me, seemed fine. Play and get paid a bit for tournament volume and there was the equipment allotments. I never asked about entry fees. I don't recall entry fees as part of the deal but I figured finishing well would just about make the thing a break even undertaking at that level. By the way, this was someone else's deal.

Here's the other part, taking a hobby and making it a job. That changes things a bit. I did it with hockey. I did not play professionally but had skated for decades. My son got into the game at the age of 3 and for 14 years I taught, played, coached and officiated and loved the game but grew to hate the grind and the people. I stopped coaching first, then playing, then I stop doing lessons and last was the ref thing. It was 2014 when I stepped off the ice after calling my last game. By the way, the money for calling games was good as you got up in the ranks. Plus all the ice time I wanted and free equipment. I miss driving the Zamboni, cutting ice is an art. I miss the feeling of cold air as I moved on the ice. Not enough to go back.

Anyhow, sponsorship is your dream, why?

Also, if you have been sponsored and/or still are, what do/did you love it?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (3)
Old 01-16-2020, 10:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37
Courses Played: 248
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,851 Times in 1,012 Posts

I would like to be sponsored by Bell's. All it would take is a Bell's motor home, fishing boat and travel expenses. I would spend a lot of time marketing and promoting all varieties of their product. I have reached out to them several times, I am still await a response.

Old 01-17-2020, 01:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.1
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,339 Times in 748 Posts

Free stuff for doing what you like is fun.

Old 01-17-2020, 07:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,516 Times in 1,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
At the most basic level this is a big part of it. There are also varying levels (based on the makeup of the individual) of ego gratification, feeling a part of something larger than oneself, representing a company whose products you enjoy, working with people you enjoy working with, etc.

I have been a Prodigy Ambassador for 4 years and am moving to the Tournament Team this year. The first time I was offered a sponsorship (by a different company) I turned it down.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-17-2020, 07:22 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 50.4
Courses Played: 52
Niced 673 Times in 289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I would spend a lot of time marketing, sampling and promoting all varieties of their product.
FTFY

Niced: (1)
Old 01-17-2020, 08:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 35
Courses Played: 100
Niced 562 Times in 217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
I was already an ambassador of sorts BEFORE I was offered sponsorship so basically its just a reward for years of promoting, selling, throwing Innova.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 32
Niced 716 Times in 434 Posts

I understand why a touring pro would want to be sponsored. Especially if there's financial incentives.

I understand why a young player would want to be sponsored. Getting free plastic when you may not have the means to go out & buy it all yourself.

I don't understand so much why an older player with a job/career would want to chase a lower tier sponsorship. Usually when it's just an annual alotment of plastic. Yeah, free anything is nice but I'd rather see that kind of thing be used to help younger players.

I think I just get annoyed at how badly some people want to feel like a part of a tribe. In my region I come across several players that are easily 35+ years old, have steady income but still want to be on the Discraft Underground team or the lowest end Prodigy sponsorship. Not even so much for the annual plastic alotment but more so they can join a club & self identify. It's confusing to me. Wouldn't you rather pick & choose from all the different brands?

Old 01-17-2020, 09:54 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 105
Niced 648 Times in 299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stable View Post
I think I just get annoyed at how badly some people want to feel like a part of a tribe. In my region I come across several players that are easily 35+ years old, have steady income but still want to be on the Discraft Underground team or the lowest end Prodigy sponsorship. Not even so much for the annual plastic alotment but more so they can join a club & self identify. It's confusing to me. Wouldn't you rather pick & choose from all the different brands?
I think this is more about status, or the feeling of achievement than anything. I think people want to say they are a sponsored athlete, especially when talking to people that don't necessarily play disc golf. Also, I could see it as validation for the hard work (even though it is fun too) that people have put into practice.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 303
Niced 2,294 Times in 1,307 Posts

the team trilogy thing years back was absolutely hilarious and brilliant and still gets me to shake my head

Old 01-17-2020, 10:03 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 188 Times in 113 Posts

I think at the lower levels any sort of sponsorship feels like you’ve made it to some sort of next level.

I think when we see McBeth sponsored by Coca Cola or Ricky step onto the tee pad wearing a Home Depot shirt we’ll really start to understand what real sponsorship means.