* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.2
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,600 Times in 617 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
As to flat-top Colts, watch out for Colts with the "prototype" stamp, and scoop them up if you find any.
DSC04185.jpg

I have two of the yellow left. XT proto Colts.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2019, 12:09 AM
Banned

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,375 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Attachment 68832

Nice pic. My XT proto-Colt is the regular stamp, but has that little "prototype" stamp on it, as well as. I still have a couple of original DX Colts with that little stamp, also. Extremely accurate approach discs.

And then Innova had to go and tweak 'em and ruin everything.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:57 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Niced 17 Times in 11 Posts

I need a new colt. Mine is too understable for approach being dx and worn. It's ok for putting though. So maybe the star colt? How much of a difference is there between xt and star at max weight.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20
Niced 1,203 Times in 517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discgolfer48 View Post
I need a new colt. Mine is too understable for approach being dx and worn. It's ok for putting though. So maybe the star colt? How much of a difference is there between xt and star at max weight.
There is a ton of difference.
I just went to Innova East and pulled 3 Colts off of their shelves. 1 DX, 1 XT, and 1 Star. The XT is the least overstable, DX is squarely in the middle, and the Star is actually slightly overstable even on 300'+ rips. I threw it more than 320' and it barely tracked to the right in the middle of the flight. It also has heathier fade than I expected. I halfway suspect my XT is an oddball because it doesn't seem like the other XTs should be this understable out of the box.

I bought these Colts because I really like Colts and I'm auditioning them for my driving and approaching putter. The other day I played two different courses with only those 3 Colts and found out that I like having all 3 because they cover the stability range very well. I really like XT plastic and how it grabs chains, the ground, my hand, and really everything.

Tonight I played the same 2 courses with only the Star Colt, a Neutron Proxy, and a special blend Magic. To make a long story short, I like the Proxy better than the Star Colt. Neutron Proxy vs DX Colt might be a better matchup for stabilities but I have a feeling that the Proxy would win that too. I seem to get more consistent clean releases with the Proxy. The Proxy is a fantastically neutral disc under 200' and has a crazy slow turn as you push it past 200'. Maybe I like it so much because it is very Comet-like. When I was throwing it 300', it was definitely understable but much less than the XT Colt. If you don't mind trying a different brand, the Proxy might be of interest to you. If you really want to stay with Innova then I think your best bet is to get a Star and eventually beat the overstability out of it. A new DX will instantly give you the stability you want but wont last for more than a few dozen rounds before it starts to gets flippy like your current DX.

I really like the Colts and would be thrilled if the Star Colt started out with the stability of the Proxy.

Please let me know if something here didn't make sense.

Last edited by Marmoset; 02-03-2020 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 172
Niced 847 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
I need a new colt. Mine is too understable for approach being dx and worn. It's ok for putting though. So maybe the star colt? . . .
I think the best Colt is an XT Pro Stud. Similar feel in the hand but a bit more resistance to turn. After using XT Colts for several years I switched to the XT Stud because I can get them consistently flat-topped, which I prefer.

When the XT Stud beats up it basically becomes an XT Colt. So I use a seasoned XT Stud for putting and for slightly understable drives and approaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
. . . I really like the Colts and would be thrilled if the Star Colt started out with the stability of the Proxy. . . .
Proxy is a darn nice disc. Have you tried an XT Pro (or other plastic) Stud? You throw a good bit farther than me, but I found the XT Stud about a half-notch more stable than the XT Colt.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-03-2020, 08:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,203 Times in 517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
...Proxy is a darn nice disc. Have you tried an XT Pro (or other plastic) Stud? You throw a good bit farther than me, but I found the XT Stud about a half-notch more stable than the XT Colt.
yeah, I love the Stud. It was my only putter mold in the bag for a full year. After DGU released my Undead Stud stamp, I stocked up on Star/XT/DX. XT is my favorite but found uses for the other plastics too.

After I left the warehouse, I found out that they make G Star Colts too. Maybe when I'm down there picking up my custom Polecat stamp, I'll get one of those G Stars.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-03-2020, 08:57 PM
Banned

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,375 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
The Star Colt is more stable than the XT Colt, and the XT is more grippy. The Star will retain its flight characteristics much longer than the XT and DX will, which can be a good or bad thing.

I'm hoping the Colt and Stud will come out in regular or Nexus Pro plastic one day soon.

P.S. I agree with those above who said wearing in an XT Stud might be the best option for you.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-03-2020, 10:12 PM

Niced 27 Times in 11 Posts

I have star and g star colts, all have seen a ton of use and they all fly dead straight from 100 to 250 and have done so since they were new. They don’t fade and they don’t turn unless I purposefully throw them to. I would imagine if I could throw them 300 I’d see some amount of turn. In a headwind they’ll get turned on drives and I’ll use another disc when it’s the case. In a tailwind they just go straight forever. All the DX I’ve used developed a lot of turn really quickly and become massively under stable. I favor the gstar because I like the feel but I’d be plenty happy with star, they’re basically the same.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-04-2020, 02:57 PM
Banned

Niced 608 Times in 324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Attachment 68832

Yay! If only they didn't warp from regular use...

Old 02-04-2020, 03:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.2
Courses Played: 95
Niced 1,600 Times in 617 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
Yay! If only they didn't warp from regular use...
Good thing you're not throwing them.
I love my beat in XT proto Colts.