#1  
Old 02-17-2020, 11:11 AM
B.Fairbanks.1023 B.Fairbanks.1023 is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: From NJ living in Macon, GA
Years Playing: 1
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 81
Niced 29 Times in 23 Posts
Default Backpack upgrade

So I'm currently using an MVP shuttle bag. As my first bag it was a great step up from a backpack, but now I'm wanting to get something a bit more sturdy. Things I'm not crazy about with this one are the top storage pocket for the putters, and the fact that it falls over all the time.

My budget for this upgrade is ~$100. I've done a little research and I'm between the Innova Super Heropack and the DD commander. Does anyone have experience with both of these? Or have and additional suggestions for something that's similar in price that's a better buy? I'm not familiar with any brands that don't appear on Infinite.

Also, if anyone is selling one of these at a decent price shoot me a message with some pics.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-19-2020, 03:44 AM
Odedge's Avatar
Odedge Odedge is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: North Idaho
Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 85
Niced 52 Times in 39 Posts
Default

I haven't used both of your two choices, but I do use the DD Commander bag. I choose this over other backpacks [used to use shoulder bags] because...
  • It's easy to remove the discs from the top and especially the bottom storage areas [Very important to me].
  • Has enough non-disc storage space for my needs [but not as much as other bags]
  • Can carry two 32oz Nalgene size bottles.
  • It is very stable because of its large footprint and little storage space up top.
  • It has a convenient spot for your mini and small clipboard/scorecard when you need it.

It could be a little better, but not by much. Come to think about, there isn't really anything I don't like about the bag. I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-19-2020, 09:44 AM
B.Fairbanks.1023 B.Fairbanks.1023 is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: From NJ living in Macon, GA
Years Playing: 1
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 81
Niced 29 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odedge View Post
I haven't used both of your two choices, but I do use the DD Commander bag. I choose this over other backpacks [used to use shoulder bags] because...
  • It's easy to remove the discs from the top and especially the bottom storage areas [Very important to me].
  • Has enough non-disc storage space for my needs [but not as much as other bags]
  • Can carry two 32oz Nalgene size bottles.
  • It is very stable because of its large footprint and little storage space up top.
  • It has a convenient spot for your mini and small clipboard/scorecard when you need it.

It could be a little better, but not by much. Come to think about, there isn't really anything I don't like about the bag. I hope this helps.
It does, thanks!. I actually just pulled the trigger on a Commander. Got one that only had 6 rounds on it for $70. Talk about a steal

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-06-2020, 10:39 PM
Casey 1988 Casey 1988 is online now
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Pierre, South Dakota, USA
Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,954
Niced 992 Times in 831 Posts
Default

The other thing lots of longtime players those playing in the 2000's like about the Commander Backpack bag is it is one of the closest backpack bags to the old big single strap bags that can take the quad straps in production currently.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-07-2020, 10:24 AM
Casey 1988 Casey 1988 is online now
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Pierre, South Dakota, USA
Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,954
Niced 992 Times in 831 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
The other thing lots of longtime players those playing in the 2000's like about the Commander Backpack bag is it is one of the closest backpack bags to the old big single strap bags that can take the quad straps in production currently.
Some of Gateway's backpack Bags were closer to a Backpack styled off the single strap bags that can take quad straps and Like the smaller Ozark backpack bag or the two smaller bags but they have been out of production since late 2018.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-07-2020, 11:37 AM
jdm0514's Avatar
jdm0514 jdm0514 is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Courses Played: 5
Posts: 488
Niced 261 Times in 127 Posts
Default

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0771TTG7G..._818yEbQE0PRPW
Best bag for the money hands down.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-08-2020, 03:48 AM
mcodyclapp's Avatar
mcodyclapp mcodyclapp is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 190
Niced 78 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm0514 View Post
OG Voyager has the feet that dig into your back. OG Slim/Pro and the 2.0s fixed it, but the model you linked has the issue.

Best budget bag imo is the Fitactic. Exact clone of the A14 for $100 or less.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-08-2020, 06:49 AM
Casey 1988 Casey 1988 is online now
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Pierre, South Dakota, USA
Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,954
Niced 992 Times in 831 Posts
Default

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C38G49H...ding=UTF8&th=1
This is The bag I have, it is on the low end and not that upright compared to better models so some stiffening of the sides via some corrugated plastic in the bag main compartment cut to the size you need. I had a seat from my old Vertex Angler Backpack that was my previous disc golf backpack going on the bag so it was going to stand up.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 03-08-2020 at 06:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-08-2020, 01:14 PM
jdm0514's Avatar
jdm0514 jdm0514 is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Courses Played: 5
Posts: 488
Niced 261 Times in 127 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcodyclapp View Post
OG Voyager has the feet that dig into your back. OG Slim/Pro and the 2.0s fixed it, but the model you linked has the issue.

Best budget bag imo is the Fitactic. Exact clone of the A14 for $100 or less.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
I've had zero issues with that but it might just be a issue for some and not others.
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 03-08-2020, 03:52 PM
ThrowBot's Avatar
ThrowBot ThrowBot is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Billings, MT
Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 145
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 1,605
Niced 1,108 Times in 473 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Fairbanks.1023 View Post
My budget for this upgrade is ~$100. I've done a little research and I'm between the Innova Super Heropack and the DD commander. Does anyone have experience with both of these?
The big difference between these, that I've seen, is that the Super Hero is pretty soft & unstructured. Whereas the Commander is more rigid/boxy.

But the softness of the Super Hero is also it's strength, in a way. It'll kind of sag on itself rather than tipping over. And they don't get all scuffed up because they are supple enough to shrug off impacts. I have a number of friends that use the Super Hero in rugged Montana wilderness, and I haven't seen any tears or blowouts.

Also, this is just my gripe, but the Commander wastes a lot of space up top. There's a lot of empty airspace above the main disc compartment. I suppose it keeps the weight lower to avoid tipping over. Looks odd to me.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I need to upgrade my Skillshot. BrotherDave Other Gear 5 07-28-2014 08:15 PM
Need a bag upgrade kevinp The Marketplace 11 10-28-2010 09:05 PM
Time to Upgrade? Neophyte Technique & Strategy 29 02-22-2009 02:21 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.