(2) Stag
Hatchet
Wave
CD3
PDx
Shryke
Raider

Putters: No change.

Mids: My oldest Evidence finally beat in enough to kick the Tursas out of the bag.

Fairways: The Stag experiment has gone well. They've officially kicked out Escapes.

Drivers: The experiment continues -- now testing out a Raider and Shryke for the first time. CD3 gets thrown more than any other driver right now.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2019, 05:32 PM
Banned

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,375 Times in 1,729 Posts

If nothing else, you'll have fun throwing the Shryke around.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-03-2019, 09:48 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 572 Times in 357 Posts

This is basically my end of year recap, since the next time my bag changes will likely be to disc down in the winter due slippery conditions. So here it is, the discs that proved themselves enough to stay in the bag through all of my 2019 tinkering.

Crown
Proxy
Envy
(1-2) Zone
Verdict
(1-2) Emac Truth
(1-2) Evidence
(0-1) Tursas
(0-1) Felon
(2-3) Getaway
(1-2) Stag
Hatchet
(0-1) Wave
(1-2) CD3
(0-1) PDx
(1-2) Shryke
(1-2) Raider

Putters: I went back to putting with a BT Medium Crown. Beaded putters just feel better to me when inside the circle. The Jawbreaker Zone comes in and out of the bag, which makes me sad because I love that mold/plastic combo. But there are just times where I don't really need a beat in Zone in the bag. I always carry Ti Zone/Glow Envy/Neutron Proxy.

Mids: I've got 6 mids that I'm really comfortable with: Verdict/Emac/beat Emac/Evidence/beat Evidence/Tursas. Probably my most common lineup has been Verdict/Emac/beat Emac/beat Evidence, but there are times I throw in a Tursas for hyzerflip-to-turn or a fresh Evidence for a pure dead straight flight.

Fairways: I've dabbled with dropping Felons (other than on really windy days, in which a Firebird/Felon/Ahti type disc is a must). Lately I've been bagging either Getaway x3/Stag/Hatchet, or Getaway x2/Stag x2/Hatchet. I've got a small stack in each of those molds that I can trust to give me slightly different lines.

Drivers: This competition will probably pick up again next year. The beefcake disc is settled (PDx) for windy days, and I've been really liking CD3s for controlled distance. But I probably don't need to carry both a Wave and G* Shryke, nor do I need to carry both a slightly worked in Raider and a fresh/domey Shryke.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:30 PM
Eagle Member

Off-season update: Tinkering right now with putters and slower drivers. Current bag is --

Zone
Crown
(2) Judge
Verdict
(2) Emac Truth
Evidence
Tursas
Felon
(3) Getaway
Stag
Hatchet
(2) Wraith
Trespass
Wave
Vanish

Putters: Testing Classic Blend Judges for putts, approach, and drives. Also trying Crowns out in a new role as a stable driving putter. Basically trying to use a Crown as a "Judge Pro," but primarily leaning on Zones and Judges.

Mids: No real change, still basically swapping in and out the same 6 mids to fill 4-5 slots. I've been leaning on hyzerflip turnovers more, so the Tursas has been seeing lots of work.

Fairways: Hatchet is seeing more love now that we're in winter season, similar to my Tursas for midrange shots. Otherwise no real changes here.

Drivers: Back to speed 11 adventures for the winter...I forgot how fun a Vanish is for long hyzerflips! I may force myself to stay at this speed class for 2020. Wraiths/Trespasses are nearly as long as Raiders/Shrykes for me, and I do throw them more controllably.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:13 PM
Eagle Member

My current bag thoughts as we get closer to the new season—

Putters: Zones & Judges. Maybe an Envy or Crown.
Zones are a lock for OS approaches and short drives. 95% chance I putt with Judges this year, and also use them as a workable, slow, approach disc and for straight putter drives. Not sure whether I will bag a stable driving putter to split the gap between a Jawbreaker Zone and a Judge…if I do, then Envy or Crown are the most likely candidates.

Mids: Verdict, Emac Truths, Evidences, & Tursas
I don’t anticipate changing any mids for 2020. Verdict and Tursas on the bookends, and some combo of fresh Emac/beat Emac/fresh Evidence/beat Evidence as the workhorse mids.

Fairways: Getaways, Stags, & Hatchet. Maybe a Felon.
Getaways and Stags as workhorses in 2020, just like in 2019. Hatchets for big turnovers and hyzerflips. I carried a Felon as my utility OS disc for the past couple years, but I’m tinkering with cutting the Felon and bagging a utility OS driver (PDx) instead in 2020.

Drivers: Trespass. PDx, Wraith, Raider, Wave, & Vanish are still under consideration.
Trespasses are locked in as my primary distance driver mold due to their combo of distance and reliability. Will bag either a Wave or Vanish as a more US complement to the Trespass, maybe both. I go back and forth on whether Wraiths or Raiders are a better OS complement. Testing out the PDx for utility OS duties. I think I’ve eliminated Shrykes, CD3s, and Ballistas from bag consideration…both are incredibly long when thrown perfect, but Shrykes are uncomfortable and come out of my hand inconsistently, while Ballistas are tough to get the perfect speed/hyzer angle combo and are prone to excessive flipping. CD3s just don't go much further than my Getaways, so there's no point in bagging them.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:02 PM
Eagle Member

Elevation change! I’m now enjoying life in Utah, which means my discs are all flying more stable than in the good ol’ Midwest. I’m re-learning my discs all over again as a result. Bag is still in flux round-to-round, so this is another “thoughts” post rather than a specific list of what’s currently ITB.

Putters: Zones & Judges.
No need for a more stable, Envy-like, driving putter since my Lucid-X Judge flies plenty stable at this higher elevation. This is the part of my bag that locked in the quickest up here. Ti Zone, beat JB Zone, and LX Zone for throwing and approaches. Fresh Blend Judge for in the circle. Beat Blend Judge for understable throwing/approaches and longer putts.

Mids: Emac Truths, Evidences, & Tursas. Maybe Verdict.
Same molds as before, but the amount of use for each disc has changed. Tursas has become a workhorse for me. Verdict sometimes gets thrown on flicks if I can’t decide between flicking a Zone or Felon, but I’ve basically stopped throwing it backhand. Lucid Emacs now fly like Verdicts used to, and Bio Emacs now fly like Lucids used to. My old beat up Evidence, which was just getting a bit too finicky for me before the move, now flies like new! It has gone from nearly out of the bag to being one of my most thrown discs. Still a lot to decide regarding individual discs, but I don’t anticipate adding any new molds to the equation. Might drop the Verdict though.

Fairways: Felons, Getaways, Stags, & Hatchet.
Oddly enough, I throw Felons a lot more now, which is counter-intuitive. The added stability I’m getting up here has made my ugly forehand shot actually kinda usable. So I’ve gone from bagging Felons situationally to sometimes even carrying two. Getaways, Stags, and Hatchets all still get regular work.

Drivers: Trespass. PDx, Raider, Wave, & Vanish are still under consideration.
There’s a lot more woods courses here, so I find myself reaching for a disc I can control more often than something for true max distance. As such my drivers aren’t getting out of the bag a whole lot. When they do, a fresh Moonshine Trespass and a slightly worked in Fuzion Trespass can handle most duties. I’ll probably carry either a Wave or Vanish if I want something less stable, but there’s so little wind here that having multiple “tailwind driver” options doesn’t seem necessary. Speaking of no wind, my utility OS PDx is likely to be sidelined. Raiders still might find a home in the bag…there are just certain lines that are easier to hit with a beat-in Raider compared to a fresh Trespass.

Overall bag composition:
Last year I typically carried 4-5 putters, 4-5 mids, 5-6 fairways, and 5-6 drivers. Speed and stability were quite useful in the Nebraska winds. I see myself leaning more on slower discs this year. Probably 5 putters, 5 mids, 6 fairways, and only 3-4 drivers. Plus one “flex” slot that changes based on course, if I’m trying out new discs, etc.

Last edited by aphilso1; 03-13-2020 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:38 PM
Eagle Member

Bag tinkering is complete for now. I am going to try rolling with this for 2020:

(3) Judge
(2) Zone
(2) Emac Truth
Evidence
(2) Tursas
(2) Felon
Getaway
(2) Stag
Hatchet
(3) Trespass
Vanish

Putters: Two Classic Blend Judges (might switch to Prime plastic in the summer), one for in the circle and one for understable approaches/drives and long putts. Lucid-X Judge for stable putter drives. A beat-in Jawbreaker Zone plus a Ti Zone to cover Zone things.

Mids: I will sometimes sub in a Verdict (for wind) or fresh Evidence (for heavy woods) in lieu of one of the Emacs or Tursas. Basically I have seven mids that I'm confident in, and bag the five that seem most needed that day.

Fairways: Same molds as last year, just a slightly different ratio. The woods courses plus elevation-enabled stability have me throwing flick shots a lot more now, so I've got a pair of Felons in the bag. Hatchet, worked-in Stag, and fresh Stag are tunnel carvers. Only carrying one Getaway compared to the 2-3 last year since I'm no longer playing in Nebraska winds.

Drivers: Fresh and worked-in Trespasses as the main throwers. Vanish as the understable bomber. I've decided to go with a Lucid-X Trespass as the overstable bookend, but really I'd be fine going back to the PDx if needed. The L-X Trespass is just a touch longer/less overstable than the PDx, and gives me a consistent handfeel with my other drivers.

Last edited by aphilso1; 03-23-2020 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 05:27 PM
Eagle Member

Another month, another update.

(2) Judge
Berg
Zone
Drone
(2) Emac Truth
Evidence
(2) Tursas
(2) Felon
Getaway
(2) Stag
Hatchet
(3) Trespass
Vanish

Putters: Trying out a K3 Berg in lieu of my beat in JB Zone. So far I'm liking the slower flight, which makes it a tad easier to dial in approaches. Not sure if it will stick in the bag or not. Also temporarily sidelining the Lucid-X Judge so I can beat in a fresh Classic Blend Judge quicker.

Mids: I'd been noticing a gap specifically when throwing forehand, where I needed a bit more distance than I can stretch a Zone but needed less fade/skip then I get from a Felon. I dusted off an old Drone and it fits that gap well. Pretty much a forehand-only disc for me though.

Fairways: No change.

Drivers: No change.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:48 AM
Eagle Member

Mini-update:

-Berg is definitely in the bag as an approach disc wonder. It is shaving strokes off my scores. Can't believe I never tried out a speed 1 disc before...I had no idea what I was missing.
-Drone is still in the bag, for now. I've started using it backhand for short spike hyzers, in addition to using it for its more obvious forehand abilities. It's still not a heavily used disc for me though, so I could see this falling back out of the bag.
-Just yesterday I put a Proxy back in the bag. It is such a unique disc, with incredible HSS for a putter while also finishing with very little fade. I feel like most of my bad holes lately have been when I get in trouble off the tee on tunnel shots. The Proxy was born for tunnel shots, so I'm giving it another chance in a limited role.

Old 05-26-2020, 05:35 PM
Eagle Member

End of May update.

Berg
(3) Judge
Proxy
Zone
Justice
(2) Emac Truth
Evidence
Tursas
Felon
(2) Getaway
Stag
Hatchet
(3) Trespass
Vanish

Putters: Berg continues to be a stroke saver for me on stable approaches and short drives. Proxy is nice to have back in the bag for dead straight shots, although it annoys me because it is breaking up my Classic Blend Judge cycle.

Mids: Picked up a Justice in a trade and am testing it out.

Fairways: No real change. Still the same four workhorses -- Lucid-X Felon predominately for flick shots, seasoned Getaway for long shots with finish, seasoned Stag for flip-to-flat, and beat Hatchet for flip-to-turnover. Currently I have a fresh Getaway as a fifth fairway, but just as often I carry an extra of one of the other three molds.

Drivers: No change.

Niced: (1)