Old 03-13-2020, 01:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 170
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 235 Times in 124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Fairbanks.1023 View Post
I might give the Draco a try. It's basically a firebird, which I ordered a 148g F2 star firebird to experiment with. Not sure how well a Roadrunner/sidewinder type would work with how under stable they are, at least for me. I've tried throwing a Heat or Shryke and they panned out very quickly. Definitely worth a shot though< I've got a champ sidewinder to play with.
I think the Dragon is the opposite of what you are looking for. Very understable disc aimed at beginners. I'd take any advice from Casey with a grain of salt.
Sponsored Links

Old 03-13-2020, 03:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 415
Niced 640 Times in 327 Posts

I dont think Casey throws discs less than 15 years old either. But if you want to know about old Innova pro plastic from the mid 2000's, he's your guy.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-13-2020, 06:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 194
Niced 826 Times in 526 Posts

Quote:
So I'm determined to have the longest tomahawk in the local club. It's a silly thing, I know, but it's a useful shot for me and I'm working on manipulating the shape for other uses too. The only guy I'm chasing was a NCAA D1 baseball player so i'm at a disadvantage here lol. Right now I top out at about 400' (avg being 370ish) throwing either an Opto or Gold Line XXX, both 175g, or occasionally a Rask.

Any suggestions on how I might pick up some more distance? Different mold? lighter disc? Throw off a mountain? I know having a video with some form might be helpful, but here we are lol. I've noticed if I throw anything with a turn rating it does a barrel roll and then dies. I've got a 148g firebird in my Infinite cart as an experiment so maybe that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for helping me be a competitive son of a bitch lol
Tailwind!!! Seriously, you'll probably be able to throw a 600' tomahawk in a good tailwind. Mine tops out close to 300', more like 275' "useful" distance, but I've thrown at least 400' without as much effort in a good Oklahoma tailwind.

As far as disc golf, don't forget perfecting the non-distance overhand throws which might be more useful on the course. I love them for ranging 200' throws with my Champ Firebird or for hitting cool pancake type lines with a Z Buzzz or even Polecat for weird approaches. They're way more rotator cuff friendly too.

As far as distance, the tomahawk (or thumber as well) is an interesting animal. For more typical throws, overstable molds tend to have less glide. For overhands, overstability has very little effect on glide and of course helps you get that perfect "panning out" effect to maximize distance before the final dive.

Factors like release angle are extremely important and vary from person to person. Other factors like nose angle and "vertical hyzer" are important too. In the end, I think the disc that works perfectly for your tomahawk might be different from another 400' overhander. My longest tomahawk disc was a Ti Flick that had some weird dome for a flick. I've also found a flatter sparkle Z Force (one of the Nate Doss SC specials) to be good. In the end, I bag neither because the Firebird is close and works better for other throws on the course.

Folks have already mentioned JC Kester. I believe he throws a Cryztal or Z Nuke OS, and I think that's a good disc to try.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:40 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1
Courses Played: 6
Niced 29 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
Might be irrelevant due to my lack of overhand distance, but my preferred disc is the Discmania FD3.

I’ve only tried a few (XXX, Felon, PD, and can’t remember what else) and I’ve had my best results with the FD3 so just stuck with it.
I just got in an FD3 signed by Lizotte or id give it a try lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
Tailwind!!! Seriously, you'll probably be able to throw a 600' tomahawk in a good tailwind. Mine tops out close to 300', more like 275' "useful" distance, but I've thrown at least 400' without as much effort in a good Oklahoma tailwind.

As far as disc golf, don't forget perfecting the non-distance overhand throws which might be more useful on the course. I love them for ranging 200' throws with my Champ Firebird or for hitting cool pancake type lines with a Z Buzzz or even Polecat for weird approaches. They're way more rotator cuff friendly too.

As far as distance, the tomahawk (or thumber as well) is an interesting animal. For more typical throws, overstable molds tend to have less glide. For overhands, overstability has very little effect on glide and of course helps you get that perfect "panning out" effect to maximize distance before the final dive.

Factors like release angle are extremely important and vary from person to person. Other factors like nose angle and "vertical hyzer" are important too. In the end, I think the disc that works perfectly for your tomahawk might be different from another 400' overhander. My longest tomahawk disc was a Ti Flick that had some weird dome for a flick. I've also found a flatter sparkle Z Force (one of the Nate Doss SC specials) to be good. In the end, I bag neither because the Firebird is close and works better for other throws on the course.

Folks have already mentioned JC Kester. I believe he throws a Cryztal or Z Nuke OS, and I think that's a good disc to try.
I'll have to check Kester out. I've been wotking a bit on the release angle. If I cone across a Nuke OS it'll definitely be worth a try.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:46 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 25
Niced 995 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
I might give the Draco a try. It's basically a firebird, which I ordered a 148g F2 star firebird to experiment with. Not sure how well a Roadrunner/sidewinder type would work with how under stable they are, at least for me. I've tried throwing a Heat or Shryke and they panned out very quickly. Definitely worth a shot though< I've got a champ sidewinder to play with.
Yeah I am a wimp so using a Valkyrie or Road Runner type disc works as I suck at the shot so much I do the sky spike hyzer for over objects on the course that are too tall to do a full on straight line shot. I used to use a Z or ESP XL which is a close disc to the higher nose runs of Thunderbird, but now since 2014 I have Champion Destroyer and 2018 a Z Stalker for the shot. I am probably going with the Destroyer more if the height is really tall for the shot to get the distance.
Old 03-14-2020, 12:07 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31
Courses Played: 145
Niced 453 Times in 195 Posts

For me it was a lightweight 162g Whippet. I threw it as if I was an outfielder trying to gun out a runner scoring from third base. I didn't throw it for distance, but for going over trees and having it drop on a dime up to 270'. My first ace was this way (Grand Woods Park Hole #16, Lansing, MI, 1996).

None of these shenanigans are happening now. I'm 47 and want to keep playing! Little flick rollers and get-out-of-jail 150-footers are about the limit of my forehand activity today.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:41 PM
Banned

Niced 608 Times in 324 Posts

I would like to remind everyone that throwing a 400' tommy is CHEATING and you are RUINING the sport.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-17-2020, 07:46 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 18
Niced 264 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
I've noticed if I throw anything with a turn rating it does a barrel roll and then dies.
Consider a Discraft Flick. It has a POSITIVE turn rating.

You might also enjoy a Discraft Machete.

But if you're itching to prove yourself with a big arm tomahawk and want to stick with Latitude 64, give the Missilen a shot. There aren't many who can tame this beast. It's an interesting disc that requires a ton of power and it doesn't glide like say a nuke OS, which is another stoopid overstable disc that only a few can truly appreciate.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:28 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 25
Niced 995 Times in 834 Posts

If you use OS discs for the Tomahawk try an Ape in Star, almost the same thing as a Nuke OS as the guy above me mentioned.

Old 03-18-2020, 09:14 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1
Courses Played: 6
Niced 29 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
I would like to remind everyone that throwing a 400' tommy is CHEATING and you are RUINING the sport.
I'm going to assume this is a troll comment lol. I can't throw a backhand anny to save my life so my tomahawk comes at a price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post
Consider a Discraft Flick. It has a POSITIVE turn rating.

You might also enjoy a Discraft Machete.

But if you're itching to prove yourself with a big arm tomahawk and want to stick with Latitude 64, give the Missilen a shot. There aren't many who can tame this beast. It's an interesting disc that requires a ton of power and it doesn't glide like say a nuke OS, which is another stoopid overstable disc that only a few can truly appreciate.
I'm not married to Lat 64 by any means, it just so happens to be that the Explorer and XXX have given me the best results. The starlite firebird I picked up is pretty close though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
If you use OS discs for the Tomahawk try an Ape in Star, almost the same thing as a Nuke OS as the guy above me mentioned.
A buddy of mine mentioned an Ape. He lost a MF ape that he loved and that's where the conversation started. Oddly enough, throwing an OS distance driver hasn't been as successful as an OS control/fairway driver. I think because of the grip I use I get more roll/snap off my fingers with a less-narrow rim, but I could be wrong.

I picked up something from a video of JC Kester and want to try it today. Hopefully it adds a couple feet lol