Old 03-20-2020, 08:13 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 500 Times in 191 Posts

I find myself frustrated by arguments along the lines of “we are more likely to get infected at X than playing disc golf” or “disc golf is safer than X.”

This isn’t a comparative exercise. How dangerous is disc golf? We don’t know. More risk for infection than staying inside one’s home. More risk for infection than not playing. But how risky? We don’t know.

I’m debating playing tomorrow. But as someone who only has to interact with others at the grocery store for the foreseeable future, how much should I care that playing is very likely, almost certainly riskier than not playing?

Why increase my exposure risk? That’s the roadblock I keep running into.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2020, 08:26 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 143 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles_Lefty View Post
I find myself frustrated by arguments along the lines of “we are more likely to get infected at X than playing disc golf” or “disc golf is safer than X.”

This isn’t a comparative exercise. How dangerous is disc golf? We don’t know. More risk for infection than staying inside one’s home. More risk for infection than not playing. But how risky? We don’t know.

I’m debating playing tomorrow. But as someone who only has to interact with others at the grocery store for the foreseeable future, how much should I care that playing is very likely, almost certainly riskier than not playing?

Why increase my exposure risk? That’s the roadblock I keep running into.
All of life is an excercise in comparative risk. The reason to increase risk is that we believe the rewards to be greater. That's the reason we increase risk by driving cars or going swimming or playing baseball. There is such a thing as acceptable risk. Every situation, including this sickness, demands thoughtful or responsible people to evaluate risk and make decisions. Comparisons are useful tools in this process.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:10 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 500 Times in 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
All of life is an excercise in comparative risk. The reason to increase risk is that we believe the rewards to be greater. That's the reason we increase risk by driving cars or going swimming or playing baseball. There is such a thing as acceptable risk. Every situation, including this sickness, demands thoughtful or responsible people to evaluate risk and make decisions. Comparisons are useful tools in this process.
I agree in concept but the difference here is that decreased exposure means decreased spread and that’s important because the medical infrastructure is going to be overwhelmed and people are going to die because of the virus or due to not being able to get care for other health issues and injuries. Selfishly, to increase the possibility of my exposure and then risk not getting access to the care I need seems goofy.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:06 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 220 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles_Lefty View Post
the medical infrastructure is going to be overwhelmed and people are going to die because of the virus or due to not being able to get care for other health issues and injuries.
I'm not taking sides with either one of you in this debate, nor am I taking sides in the general over/under reacting debate. I just wanted to point out this is a great quote as more people should be made aware:

It's not just a risk of people getting coronavirus and dying, it's a risk of anyone needing any sort of medical treatment and not receiving it due to the strains on health care. Some idiot could miss a stop sign and slam into you, and there may be no one available to help you.

We shouldn't panic. But most of us should do more to help flatten the curve.

Niced: (3)
Old 03-20-2020, 10:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 816 Times in 433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateWesternSky View Post

We shouldn't panic. But most of us should do more to help flatten the curve.
Exactly. And the quicker this is over with, the sooner we can try and get life back to normal. We all should be doing our part, even if that's your only reason for doing so.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-21-2020, 12:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,248 Times in 713 Posts

Don't aim at the basket, if you get it within circle 1, move on to the next hole. Practice putting at home.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:55 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31
Courses Played: 145
Niced 456 Times in 196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
That's sadly amazing when you consider how many folks work for one of the Big 3, or suppliers... or in logistics / supply chain associated with the auto industry...not just near Detroit, but other parts of the state, too.

You may not get rich working those jobs, but if you got one, feeding your kids ain't an issue.

I always thought MI was decent state to achieve a middleclass income in.
We moved here in the 90's because educators were treated very well, relatively speaking. I taught 6th grade for a couple of years (nearly lost my mind!) and my salary then, when adjusted for inflation today, would be around $7,000 more per year if I remember right and we had better benefits back then too. I had one interview in Okemos where I was told a few thousand applicants were applying for the job and I was damned lucky to even make it to the principal's desk. I landed a job in a rural district but was still up against a few hundred others. Now there are shortages. It's really depressing to see what has happened to the profession. UGH.

I remember looking up to Michigan when I was a kid in Indiana and thinking what an awesome place it would be to live. I still feel that way, especially in terms of our geography. We're blessed big time with our many great courses and clubs in the Disc Golf world. I like it here. Wish the jobs were like they used to be!

Niced: (1)
Old 03-21-2020, 01:24 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 330
Niced 3,524 Times in 1,616 Posts

This is obvious, but I'm sure some people still won't think of it: bad time to go to your local disc store and fondle plastic.

If you need something, by all means go, take a look, maybe ask if they have blue Champ Call in the 160's...

But don't fondle half a dozen did sand put'em back on the shelf.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:14 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 54
Niced 481 Times in 165 Posts

My local course is jam packed.

I’m fortunate enough to have a big back yard and a basket, about 100 putters, and a terrible forehand. See you in a month.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:19 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.8
Courses Played: 13
Niced 168 Times in 87 Posts

Lots of people out today. Nice weather and little to do, so I guess I should have expected it.

Picked up my disc from the basket a few times, but I didn't putt out on any tap ins. Avoided touching my face and wiped down after the round. Seemed reasonable.