Old 03-23-2020, 11:27 AM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 913 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
The top makes all the difference. The firebird and thunderbird have slightly blunt wings comparitively - the 'anhyzer' top on the PD is much more tapered. I think it does make a difference
Yeah, that damn anhyzer top. Tried to get into PDs a few years back but just couldn't click. Bought and sold probably a dozen of them in different plastics and runs...still had to part ways. Kinda like MVP curved inner rim putters (tried to like the Ion forever but just couldn't forehand consistently with them).
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2020, 08:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 24
Niced 829 Times in 358 Posts

Roadrunner. It’s a speed 10 right?

I only need one but it’s easily the fav.

PD is 2nd and I bag and own a lot of these. P-PD was my favorite before and I love them more than the RR but alas the supply has finally been depleted and a 2018 barsby RR easily fills the slot.

That driver pro plastic on the good p-Pd though. Man I wish that stuff was used for every driver.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-24-2020, 10:20 PM
Banned

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,375 Times in 1,729 Posts

I really like the SL, but I don't regularly bag it.

I carry a DX Beast for water and other places where the DG gods might demand sacrifice.

The Infinite Discs Aztec is a relatively new 10-speed disc that I'm liking more and more as I work with it.

TL;DR: Star SL.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:32 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 415
Niced 611 Times in 317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomerang View Post
Roadrunner. Its a speed 10 right?
It's a speed 9.

I'll have to second the Infinite Aztec though. Really nice disc. I said a Northman earlier in the thread which is funny because I picked up the Aztec to replace my Northmen someday. Northmen are getting harder and harder to find.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-25-2020, 03:14 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 31
Niced 59 Times in 42 Posts

TD2 in g-line plastic, easy distance for noodle arms in calm throwing conditions.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18
Courses Played: 86
Niced 373 Times in 204 Posts

PD is the only one I currently bag. For me it's a perfect "control" driver because it slots perfectly between my 6-7 speed fairways and 12-speed distance discs, and it's overstable enough to be a very consistent flyer in all conditions.

Back in the day, I was an Orc thrower when discs topped out at the 10-11 level (before the Wraith came out). They are good consistent line shapers and get sneaky distance. The "longer Eagle" statement is true in my experience.

But: the all-time sleeper disc in my opinion is the 10-speed DX Beast. I challenge anyone to put a DX Beast head to head against their current Max D disc.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:13 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 188 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzzChief View Post
I challenge anyone to put a DX Beast head to head against their current Max D disc.
Hmm. I might take that challenge.

I only own one Beast and its a max weight star. Havent thrown it yet. Anyways, Ill need to pick up a DX Beast to go head to head with my usual drivers.

Anything special or particular I need to look for when I grab a DX Beast?

Might be able to order online or else it might be a little while before I can get one locally.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:22 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 11 Times in 8 Posts

I had a Champion Starfire at some point and it was my favorite of the 10-speeds. Very similar shape to a PD, but mine was definetly somewhat seasoned. It was long time ago when I last time tested a PD, but they definetly felt always too overstable for me. I've heard tho that they become really straight after some beating so I might pickup a one.

Also S-line or C-line TD might be a disc to try, as I've always enjoyed more understable 9-speeds.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:37 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18
Courses Played: 86
Niced 373 Times in 204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
Hmm. I might take that challenge.

I only own one Beast and its a max weight star. Havent thrown it yet. Anyways, Ill need to pick up a DX Beast to go head to head with my usual drivers.

Anything special or particular I need to look for when I grab a DX Beast?

Might be able to order online or else it might be a little while before I can get one locally.
I dont think you have to look for anything special. For a while there were some X- versus L-mold shenanigans. But I think everything for the last several years has all been the good/old X-mold. So as long as the shop is not specifically calling it an L-mold it should be good.

I would look for one in the low 170s with a mild/low dome but really Ive never seen any that were massively domey or extremely flat. So just randomly buying online is probably fine.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:40 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 24
Niced 829 Times in 358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzzChief View Post
I dont think you have to look for anything special. For a while there were some X- versus L-mold shenanigans. But I think everything for the last several years has all been the good/old X-mold. So as long as the shop is not specifically calling it an L-mold it should be good.

I would look for one in the low 170s with a mild/low dome but really Ive never seen any that were massively domey or extremely flat. So just randomly buying online is probably fine.
I thought the L mold was still the standard. I haven't even looked at a beast since that decision was made.

The Beast-X is a great disc. The Beast-L is trash.