Old 03-20-2020, 11:24 PM
Banned

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,375 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I have better luck with Shrykes for flippy bombing. I like Ballistas OK, but they just aren't quite as good. They don't glide as well as Shrykes.

I've been getting back into the Katana lately too. Not as flippy or glidey as a Shryke, but every bit as long.
I've been expecting that I would begin having diminishing returns on distance as I am getting older, and that I'd be able to disc down to my Pro Wraith. But my Pro Shryke keeps outdistancing it and everything else. It keeps "dragging me back in", as that Godfather movie says...
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2020, 12:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 851 Times in 662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I've been expecting that I would begin having diminishing returns on distance as I am getting older, and that I'd be able to disc down to my Pro Wraith. But my Pro Shryke keeps outdistancing it and everything else. It keeps "dragging me back in", as that Godfather movie says...
I've been having the same experiences with Terns and Katanas lately. I keep (for some reason) trying to write off both of those molds. However, they keep luring me back with their sheer distance potential.

The next Shryke I get to try for big distance is a 162g star. I've thrown a 150g star Shryke before, and I found it too flippy to get anything substantive out of.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-21-2020, 12:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 184
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 183 Times in 111 Posts

Quote:
I've been having the same experiences with Terns and Katanas lately. I keep (for some reason) trying to write off both of those molds. However, they keep luring me back with their sheer distance potential.

The next Shryke I get to try for big distance is a 162g star. I've thrown a 150g star Shryke before, and I found it too flippy to get anything substantive out of.

I've been throwing Star Shrykes for the last year and a half as my (longer) beat Star Wraith replacement. I remember throwing a few 170ish Champ Terns a couple years back for that slot and they did bomb. Stars were really flippy and less consistent for me. I think I dropped them cause of the relatively shallow rim.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdiv48 View Post
I've been throwing Star Shrykes for the last year and a half as my (longer) beat Star Wraith replacement. I remember throwing a few 170ish Champ Terns a couple years back for that slot and they did bomb. Stars were really flippy and less consistent for me. I think I dropped them cause of the relatively shallow rim.
I prefer the Shryke to the Tern, but its close. I just feel like the Shryke provides a bit more consistency. Terns are wilder for me. Distance is the same. Despite being a speed slower a Tern will fly as far as a Shryke.

The Shryke is the flippiest driver I bag. I don't use it a ton, but its perfect for those really open holes where no danger lurks. Sometimes being able to unleash 450' of power on the course has its uses.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:45 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 58 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
So, I found a disc that can match a Shryke for sheer distance. The Knight! My god this thing bombs. Unknown and underrated. I had the gold line Knight in the field vs. a G* Shryke today. It was pretty much a tie for max distance. The Knight is a hair faster than the Shryke, but doesn't quite have such floaty glide. Very similar overall flight patterns. Nothing I'm throwing right now is matching these two for distance. The only other disc I can even think of right now that might compare is a star Tern.

The Knight is worth a look for those wanting maximum distance and speed. It flies just a tick more overstable than a Ballista, but a speed faster. I'd go as far as to say that the Knight is the longest driver in the Trilogy lineup.

Shryke and Knight were both touching 450' today... multiple times.
I enjoyed the knight when I owned one! It was one of 2 discs that I was ever able to get around the 400ft mark on sidearm, the other being a max weight bolt. Both of those discs bomb and are really fun to throw. Unfortunately, I lost my Knight at Maple Hil..
Old 03-21-2020, 01:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHaavisto View Post
I enjoyed the knight when I owned one! It was one of 2 discs that I was ever able to get around the 400ft mark on sidearm, the other being a max weight bolt. Both of those discs bomb and are really fun to throw. Unfortunately, I lost my Knight at Maple Hil..
I love my Knight. For me it flies like a broken in Katana. Nice turn and a pretty soft fade. The Bolt was way flippier for me. I've never had luck with that mold. Very long, but super easy to turn and burn.

My Knight will go as far as a G* Shryke, but its a lower, straighter flight. The Shryke flies higher, glides better, and has more S curve.

The Knight is the longest driver in Trilogy's lineup, IMO.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-22-2020, 09:21 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 11 Times in 10 Posts

2nd outing with ballista..got it to fly better but had to throw it less hard..then my ballista pro...even though same speed..the bproprefers more power and frankly I much prefer its flight...I'm sure I will find the right angles for the regular one...
Old 03-22-2020, 10:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogden View Post
2nd outing with ballista..got it to fly better but had to throw it less hard..then my ballista pro...even though same speed..the bproprefers more power and frankly I much prefer its flight...I'm sure I will find the right angles for the regular one...
With the regular Ballista you'll probably have to throw hyzerflips to maximize distance. I've gone well over 400' with Ballistas, but hyzer release was needed. Thrown flat the Ballista will flip on anything over about 350'.

The Ballista is definitely more finicky than the Shryke when it comes to understable distance.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:57 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 11 Times in 10 Posts

I wonder if I just have a bad ballista...it flps very easily fh and bh...today I was throwing downwind d sidewind...threw a katana past hole...udisc 420...it hit the trees ..really was cruising flat...threw the ballista...300 ft then a roller...this thing is like my r pro boss flippy.....without the downwind crush potential...its a 173 opto...and I love my bpro

Old 03-25-2020, 07:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogden View Post
I wonder if I just have a bad ballista...it flps very easily fh and bh...today I was throwing downwind d sidewind...threw a katana past hole...udisc 420...it hit the trees ..really was cruising flat...threw the ballista...300 ft then a roller...this thing is like my r pro boss flippy.....without the downwind crush potential...its a 173 opto...and I love my bpro
I've definitely seen a couple of bad Ballistas. When they beat in a little they get super flippy and wild. I also found that really flat Ballistas are flippy too. I don't like them. They flip over, don't glide very well, and then hook fade late.

MOST Ballistas I've thrown are flippy, but still manageable.