Old 03-28-2020, 02:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 370 Times in 230 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Yeah I can see that after you well thought out posts.
Yeesh

Go away
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2020, 03:21 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 330
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,507 Times in 1,605 Posts

I'm sure this is already occurred to several of you, but I guarantee it's something that not everyone has considered.

This is a particularly bad time to engage in physically risky activities, because hospitals are allocating everything they possibly can to deal with Covid-19 cases. I'm not saying injuries and other ailments will be ignored, but the system is already being stretched to the breaking point in many areas. Don't tell me you won't be waiting for considerably longer. Plus there's got to be an increased risk of exposing yourself to the virus simply by being there.

The best analogy I can come up with is this is our generation's WWII. It's going to have a widespread global impact in terms of lives, lifestyle, economics,and all of us are going to have to make some sacrifices in at least one way, shape or form.

At this point you can't compare scales, because this has only been happening for a few months. WWII occurred over the course of several years. I don't even want to think about this pandemic lasting beyond the spring, let alone years.

Now think about all our friends working in healthcare on the front lines of this battle (ru4 has been called back into active duty). They're our military in this battle.
Thank you all for your service!

Old 03-28-2020, 05:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37
Courses Played: 248
Niced 2,853 Times in 1,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
I'm sure this is already occurred to several of you, but I guarantee it's something that not everyone has considered.

This is a particularly bad time to engage in physically risky activities, because hospitals are allocating everything they possibly can to deal with Covid-19 cases. I'm not saying injuries and other ailments will be ignored, but the system is already being stretched to the breaking point in many areas. Don't tell me you won't be waiting for considerably longer. Plus there's got to be an increased risk of exposing yourself to the virus simply by being there.

The best analogy I can come up with is this is our generation's WWII. It's going to have a widespread global impact in terms of lives, lifestyle, economics,and all of us are going to have to make some sacrifices in at least one way, shape or form.

At this point you can't compare scales, because this has only been happening for a few months. WWII occurred over the course of several years. I don't even want to think about this pandemic lasting beyond the spring, let alone years.

Now think about all our friends working in healthcare on the front lines of this battle (ru4 has been called back into active duty). They're our military in this battle.
Thank you all for your service!
Thanks Bogey....you are a kind man and I hope to get out to play a round soon.

Have a buddy that busted up his knee up North last weekend. He was asking for my recommendations. I told him, man you are screwed. Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. Start on Naproxen, (reports are that Motrin is not a recommended Covid med) around the clock for a while to help with the pain and swelling. Then in a few months (hopefully), make an appointment with an Ortho guy. SMH. Getting hurt would be a bad thing, for sure.

Old 03-28-2020, 06:47 PM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 169
Niced 2,556 Times in 1,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateWesternSky View Post
You realize the difference between when the virus is spread is much different than when cases are confirmed and deaths are recorded, right?

The exponential growth or "doubling" factor has slowed in Italy / Spain / The U.S. This is undoubtedly due to the stay at home measures. The daily amount of confirmed cases is much more flat in Italy / Spain and the increase in deaths can be contributed to the fact that healthcare systems can't keep up.

TLDR: "Stay at home" obviously helps flatten the curve of this virus and you shouldn't use today's confirmed cases/deaths to determine today's spread or exponential growth of the virus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Come on, man. I want to believe you are smarter than this. Listening to experts and trying to do the right thing by many, is not that hard.

If you don't get that stay home orders are not to stop the spread, but to slow it down so less people die, then you are not paying attention.

Keep sick people away from healthy ones is not revolutionary science. Mostly just common sense. Join the good fight, save lives.
The experts in actuality have no clue if we are flattening the curve of this because there is not enough testing of the population to provide accurate data. Everything you are putting your eggs is based on epidemiological work which is highly theoretical. The "shelter in place/lock down" order is not what is flattening the curve and reducing the spread, it is a misnomer. What is working is closing borders and people keeping their distance, not touching their face, and washing their hands. That is all people can do. Staying home doesn't do anything if you don't observe those other habits because too many infected people are asymptomatic. I mean, if you guys really want to flatten the curve we can drop nukes on NYC right now before too many of them leave. I don't think you guys are taking covid seriously enough for that though.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.1
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,342 Times in 749 Posts

If people aren't going out, they aren't touching public surfaces or breathing on each other. It ain't rocket science.

Old 03-28-2020, 07:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.2
Courses Played: 95
Niced 1,600 Times in 617 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

A Californian disc golfer just posted on Facebook that the beaches there are filled with people. So I would say one of the worse places for this break out is not taking it seriously.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-28-2020, 07:16 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 330
Niced 3,507 Times in 1,605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
The experts in actuality have no clue if we are flattening the curve of this because there is not enough testing of the population to provide accurate data. Everything you are putting your eggs is based on epidemiological work which is highly theoretical. The "shelter in place/lock down" order is not what is flattening the curve and reducing the spread, it is a misnomer. What is working is closing borders and people keeping their distance, not touching their face, and washing their hands. That is all people can do. Staying home doesn't do anything if you don't observe those other habits because too many infected people are asymptomatic. I mean, if you guys really want to flatten the curve we can drop nukes on NYC right now before too many of them leave. I don't think you guys are taking covid seriously enough for that though.
Sorry Dave, have to disagree with you. I don't understand how you can't see how greatly reducing the amount of contact/exposure people have with other people won't slow the spread of this virus.

Sure, people still need to wash their hands to reduce the spread to surfaces, or reduce their risk if they did pick it up from a surface. But avoiding unnecessary interaction is key. No one's saying one's a substitute for the other. We need to do both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
If people aren't going out, they aren't touching public surfaces or breathing on each other. It ain't rocket science.
^This.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:20 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 213 Times in 103 Posts

Quote:
Staying home doesn't do anything if you don't observe those other habits because too many infected people are asymptomatic.
What?

Staying at home means you aren't coming into contact with anyone. Assuming nothing in your house is contaminated, that means there is zero risk.

Even if you wash your hands often and try your best to not touch your face, you are incurring some level of risk by going out in public.

I must not be understanding you. It seems like you are saying that taking a risk and trying to minimize it is better than taking no risk.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-28-2020, 08:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37
Courses Played: 248
Niced 2,853 Times in 1,013 Posts

Quote:
This is the problem. This is exactly why the spread will continue to spiral out of control, too quickly for healthcare to keep up. This is exactly why a lot of people will needlessly die. Keep preaching your opinion, it is your right. But, you are wrong...and it is dangerous.

I see no way to convince you that reducing the opportunity for spread, will reduce the speed of the spread.

Perhaps I also am not understanding what you are saying?

Old 03-28-2020, 09:09 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 210 Times in 131 Posts

Quote:
The experts in actuality have no clue if we are flattening the curve of this because there is not enough testing of the population to provide accurate data. Everything you are putting your eggs is based on epidemiological work which is highly theoretical.
You're either being deliberately deceitful or are misinformed. The one thing you don't need tests for is deaths. Italy's deaths are no longer growing exponentially. All you need to do is look at the linked chart. If it wasn't working the logarithmic scale would be a straight line, but it's not, it's flattening, and will likely continue to flatten as the measures put in place continue to have an effect (keep in mind it was only a few weeks ago Italy took drastic measures). https://www.worldometers.info/corona...country/italy/

Quote:
The "shelter in place/lock down" order is not what is flattening the curve and reducing the spread, it is a misnomer. What is working is closing borders and people keeping their distance, not touching their face, and washing their hands. That is all people can do. Staying home doesn't do anything if you don't observe those other habits because too many infected people are asymptomatic. I mean, if you guys really want to flatten the curve we can drop nukes on NYC right now before too many of them leave. I don't think you guys are taking covid seriously enough for that though.
I don't disagree with that you can minimize your risk and still go outside, play disc golf, etc. Honestly if you're maintaining distance from others while disc golfing I don't see how you could possibly get infected unless you're licking the chains or something (even then it's highly unlikely). The problem is too many idiots won't actually do the social distancing thing voluntarily, which is why you are starting to see all these excessive requirements put in place.

Niced: (3)