Old 03-10-2020, 08:25 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 828 Times in 364 Posts

I have used those darn pack builder portals so many times it’s disgusting. I really might pull the trigger on a Carlton though. I am keeping a simple bag but love the carry feel and details. Finally sold myself on the carry design but I’ve got two questions for people who have them.

I am planning on using the vertical 3 disc pockets on both sides and the haul pockets for disc storage as much as I can, leaving as much room as possible inside the bag for storage and spare or rarely-used discs rather than using that as the main disc storage- but how big are the internal compartments?? Can someone throw a tape measure in theirs for me to get a basic dimension? I want to find some rigid storage that will fit inside one of the sides and I think the Carlton has big storage potential when utilized that way.

Also, has anyone gotten sick of the design? I feel like it’s growing on me but has it gone the other way for any owners? If so, why?

Thanks. Seems like a great pack for someone like me who carries well under 20 discs but it is a unique design with its quirks. A smaller Octo does indeed sound nice so I may hold out but I do like the Carlton more every time I see it.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2020, 10:12 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 141
Niced 132 Times in 57 Posts

Huh, that is a very creative idea. Interesting. Any reason you’re leaning that way, instead of the more standard load-up?

The two main compartments each have a footprint of about 9 in. X 4 in., and a height up to the bottom of the opening of about 9.5 in. The middle compartment is maybe 2 or 3 inches wide, but its walls are definitely softer. That’s the best I could do with cramming a rigid tape measure into there.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:54 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aredoubles View Post
Huh, that is a very creative idea. Interesting. Any reason youre leaning that way, instead of the more standard load-up?

The two main compartments each have a footprint of about 9 in. X 4 in., and a height up to the bottom of the opening of about 9.5 in. The middle compartment is maybe 2 or 3 inches wide, but its walls are definitely softer. Thats the best I could do with cramming a rigid tape measure into there.

Thanks for checking! I like the discs exposed for easy access mostly. I only bag 15-18 discs also, so raw capacity isnt really an issue. The deep wells are still awesome space though, so I was trying to get an idea of what I was working with there. I am completely in love with the Pound shoulder straps, carry comfort & overall quality but the Octo is just a bit too big for my needs and I dont think Id like my discs buried down deep in the middle of the Carlton either tbh.

I figure between a haul pocket and, say, 4-5 fairways in the 3 disc sleeve Im covered for drivers on that one side. On the other side I can put my 3 main putters in the stack and all my mids in that haul pocket. Without discs packed in the middle those lowest 3rd pockets should be easier to utilize.

If it works like it does in my head Ill love it forever. I have dreams of a well stocked provisions center in there and enough space for me to keep my official league/tourney stuff organized. They make some really cool sealed containers and compact coolers etc. now so all my accoutrements can have a safe spot if I nerd out hard enough on it lol
Old 03-11-2020, 11:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,387 Times in 682 Posts

I'm going to test drive the 'discs in the haul pockets' layout this weekend. I think it would kind of feel like the old Golf Mahal setup like that.

The current layout I use is perfectly fine, and having the discs in the 'normal' interior compartments works well for me. I use the double putter pockets though, just because I carry 4-5 putters at all times (5 depends if I have a breaker or zone in the bag) Since I use those the most I wanted them in an easy to access part of the bag
Old 03-15-2020, 11:09 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
I'm going to test drive the 'discs in the haul pockets' layout this weekend. I think it would kind of feel like the old Golf Mahal setup like that.

The current layout I use is perfectly fine, and having the discs in the 'normal' interior compartments works well for me. I use the double putter pockets though, just because I carry 4-5 putters at all times (5 depends if I have a breaker or zone in the bag) Since I use those the most I wanted them in an easy to access part of the bag

Yeah I putt with a champ birdie though, so the likelihood of fitting two in the double pocket is slim to none.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 24
Niced 827 Times in 357 Posts

Levi - I hope you and your employees are holding up well. I'll be purchasing a Toolbox as soon as this COVID thing calms down and shipping returns to normal.

Just wanted to show my support to a great small business in our community. I've loved my Octo since I first got it years ago. It's my bag for life.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:05 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:

Howd you like it?
Old 03-29-2020, 11:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,387 Times in 682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
Howd you like it?
It was a good alternative. Only able to fit about 15 discs in just using the haul and putter pockets. The good thing is, that the insulated drink holders fit just fine in the 'standard' disc storage area, making it even more versatile.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-29-2020, 11:20 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
It was a good alternative. Only able to fit about 15 discs in just using the haul and putter pockets. The good thing is, that the insulated drink holders fit just fine in the 'standard' disc storage area, making it even more versatile.

Well... Sounds like the wife is about to be mad at me!

Old 04-18-2020, 11:28 PM
Eagle Member

I finally did it. Was literally minutes away from pulling the trigger on a full custom Carlton when I was scrolling through a random pound group and saw almost the exact bag I was building- but for sale used. Hit the guy up and made a deal, Ill have it this week! Boom!! I wanted purple and kryptek, with all grey accents and one just fell in my lap, no wait and way cheaper. I couldnt say no to that.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...1&d=1587266775

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 071324E1-3AD0-4043-A6E0-BAD3C92E597B.jpg (108.0 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 89367938-1E2E-4540-B493-B937233AD243.jpg (121.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg BE165817-E122-4F9E-A1FB-B36563F2E038.jpg (136.9 KB, 53 views)

Niced: (1)