Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 02-18-2018, 03:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 851 Times in 662 Posts
Default Matching the Shryke for sheer distance

Today was field day for some long range drivers. 1 mold I'd never thrown before.... the Raketen. After reading reviews on it I knew it would be less stable than the Missilen. What I didn't necessarily count on was how staggeringly long the Raketen really is. I'd equate it to a slightly flippier Boss. It has noticeably more dome than a Missilen and glides quite a bit better.

After a couple throws to get acquainted with it, the Raketen started soaring as far as anything I've ever thrown... it matches the Shryke or D3. I don't know if its the dimple pattern on the disc, but I swear the Raketen rises after it leaves your hand. It has a little high speed turn on hard rips and can be torqued into the ground on hard throws or headwind drives.

I'd rate the Raketen 13, 5, -1.5, 2. Its a pretty neutral flier, but can handle good, hard rips. Highly recommended for sheer bombing. I had a Ballista in the field today too, and it was a few feet shy of the Raketen on most throws.

Anyone who throws the Missilen and wants a longer, glidier disc similar to it should give the Raketen a try.

On a side note, the Ti Nuke SS is worth a look for distance bombing too. Its still pretty flippy, but not as much as a regular Z Nuke SS. Humongous flex bombs, and it actually has enough low speed fade to fight back to center after drifting right. Massive distance potential there.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Twmccoy; 02-18-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:02 PM
Banned

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,375 Times in 1,729 Posts

Speaking of the Shryke, I just saw Hannah Leatherman's ITB video (says 2017), which had escaped my notice before. HL is bagging Shrykes with her Terns and Katanas, and she seems to enjoy bombing with them.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Speaking of the Shryke, I just saw Hannah Leatherman's ITB video (says 2017), which had escaped my notice before. HL is bagging Shrykes with her Terns and Katanas, and she seems to enjoy bombing with them.
I guess I'm not surprised to hear that. I think the Shryke can stretch every foot out of pretty much anyone's drives. On the course lately I'm having to hyzerflip my G* Shryke to get what I want out of it. If I release it hard and flat it turns and burns. I don't bag a Katana, but I could if I had to. Problem with that mold is there's a ton of variance from disc to disc. Some are really beefy and some flip all over the place.

I'd put the Raketen a small step above a Shryke in stability. I'll go as far as to call the Raketen underrated. I had never seen one before or heard anyone discuss them. Blazingly long driver.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I don't bag a Katana, but I could if I had to. Problem with that mold is there's a ton of variance from disc to disc. Some are really beefy and some flip all over the place.

I'd put the Raketen a small step above a Shryke in stability. I'll go as far as to call the Raketen underrated. I had never seen one before or heard anyone discuss them. Blazingly long driver.
I always was curious about the Katana, but never pulled the trigger and got one. Maybe I'll add a DX Katana to my next order.

I got a used Missilen at PIAS a long time ago, not long after they first came out. If memory serves me correctly, the Missilen was the first approved Speed 14 disc to come out, but I might be incorrect on that. The "dimple" experiment was widely panned at the time, and when the Rakaten came out later it wasn't received with great enthusiasm. The Missilen I had was beefy overstable and way too much for my arm, even in stiff headwinds.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 889 Times in 599 Posts

Terns are longer.

Oh, as well as Destiny.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
I always was curious about the Katana, but never pulled the trigger and got one. Maybe I'll add a DX Katana to my next order.

I got a used Missilen at PIAS a long time ago, not long after they first came out. If memory serves me correctly, the Missilen was the first approved Speed 14 disc to come out, but I might be incorrect on that. The "dimple" experiment was widely panned at the time, and when the Rakaten came out later it wasn't received with great enthusiasm. The Missilen I had was beefy overstable and way too much for my arm, even in stiff headwinds.
You could be right. I've thrown 3 different Missilens. 1 was massively beefy and the others were slightly less so. They're lightning fast, but don't glide well. I can get acceptable distance out of them, but it isn't a disc I'd feel the need to bag.

I also have no clue if the dimples make a ton of difference on the Raketen, but I swear this thing was rising on majestic lines after it left my hand at high speed. I think the Raketen is worth a look for 400'ish throwers. Its surprisingly mellow and pretty easy to throw for big distance. The Raketen isn't as shallow as the Missilen. Not quite as fast etiher.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
Terns are longer.

Oh, as well as Destiny.
I'm going to have to reacquaint myself with the Destiny. I loved it for a while, and then all of a sudden it was flip city. Huge distance bombs mixed in with lots of flipped shots.

King was the same for me. Killer distance, but really touchy.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:12 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 992 Times in 831 Posts

Now I Use a Destroyer both Champion and one at 170 grams the other a 167 gram the lighter one being my longest flier. However I would like to try an Archon as it is like my more accurate distance driver the Valkyrie for my drives. The Beast is not, it feels about the same speed as Valkyrie so not worth it.

My brother found for shear distance the Champion Monach was the disc to use for distance or A Champion Roadrunner as end of flight Roller distance.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:32 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,289 Times in 827 Posts

Quote:

I didn’t love the feel of a Katana, the wing feels long and wedgelike to me. Essentially it flies like a good stable King, but the King has a super comfortable grip for a warp speed disc. A lot like a Destroyer, with a low PLH.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Now I Use a Destroyer both Champion and one at 170 grams the other a 167 gram the lighter one being my longest flier. However I would like to try an Archon as it is like my more accurate distance driver the Valkyrie for my drives. The Beast is not, it feels about the same speed as Valkyrie so not worth it.

My brother found for shear distance the Champion Monach was the disc to use for distance or A Champion Roadrunner as end of flight Roller distance.
I was using a Star Archon a while back. It's a good disc, but it's got that "Destrulcan" top, and some don't like that. I was hoping the Mystere would be like the Archon but with more glide, but the Shimmer Star Mystere was a disappointment to me.