Old 06-13-2017, 02:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 72
Niced 27 Times in 20 Posts
Default X Tier events, am taking cash question

We have an XC (I think is what it will be) tier doubles event coming up, and have a lot of players who are playing open, that have partners who generally play Am.

I didn't have much luck finding anything specific about these types of events on pdga site, but I found an event of a similar type and according to the payouts, and the status of some of the players who cashed, they are considered pro now, even tho a lot of them were rated around 930. I'm assuming it is because they took cash and the standard of taking money in a normal event is still in place.

Anyone know if that is certain? Or do these exhibition tier events have relaxed standards with that stuff? TIA
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2017, 02:47 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 692
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,623 Times in 735 Posts

If ams accept cash in any sanctioned event including X-tiers (leagues excluded), they turn pro. Ams have to decline the cash or accept merch to retain amateur status. Payouts are not reported nor tracked in PDGA leagues. So TDs have the option to do cash payouts for amateur divisions in leagues if they wish and the Ams retain their am status.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,318 Times in 2,286 Posts

That includes sanctioned dubs as well, as one of the local guys found out, the hard way. Apparently the TD didn't make a note of it or he forgot to mention it to the TD and by the time he found out, it was too late. I told him to petition the pdga to get it restored but he said he didn't really care since he played Open most of the time anyway but only cashed in that cause he had one of the best local pros as his partner. I believe he has since cashed in a singles event...

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 06-13-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 72
Niced 27 Times in 20 Posts

Thanks, thats sort of what I was assuming, but didnt wanna mis inform anyone
Old 06-13-2017, 05:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,738 Times in 1,552 Posts

Amateurs are treated the same in sanctioned doubles as they are in singles events: they can't accept cash if they want to retain their amateur status. However, as long as it is reported properly, the pro of the team can take winnings in cash while the am partner takes it in merch (it's a presumed 50/50 split).

Had an interesting outcome at a sanctioned doubles event I ran years ago. Only two teams signed up in Open, one of which consisted of a Pro and an Am. They ended up winning, but the am declined his half of the cash. At the time, there was no option for merch so declined cash was passed down the standings. As a result, both teams basically got their entry fee back (less PDGA fees). If it weren't for the trophies, they'd have probably wondered why they bothered to play at all.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:04 AM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 26.5
Courses Played: 139
Niced 989 Times in 430 Posts

Chuck and JC are both 100% correct.

I do want to add one thing.

X doesn't mean anything except it's not going to be rated. It's still an official PDGA event.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:12 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,623 Times in 735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
Chuck and JC are both 100% correct.

I do want to add one thing.

X doesn't mean anything except it's not going to be rated. It's still an official PDGA event.
That's correct for doubles but not singles X-tiers. X-tier only means something is different from a standard format event. That doesn't mean it can't be rated. Rateable X-tiers might be charity events, events with unusual entry fees or payouts, non-standard divisional restrictions/combos, or some rule, equipment or new course design elements being tested.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:46 AM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 26.5
Courses Played: 139
Niced 989 Times in 430 Posts

Makes sense, although the competition endowment program is typically in place for charity events.

I've never seen an X tier rated. I'm sure there are examples. I'd love to see some.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,318 Times in 2,286 Posts

http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/22218#MA2

The Goat Path event has been an Xtier both times I have played it and the ratings showed up in my detail. I would imagine the X status comes from the couple homemade baskets on the course?

Old 06-15-2017, 11:05 AM
Independent Operator*

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 519
Niced 694 Times in 247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
Makes sense, although the competition endowment program is typically in place for charity events.

I've never seen an X tier rated. I'm sure there are examples. I'd love to see some.

It is very easy to see some examples:

Simply go to PDGA Events Search, Then Advanced Search, Select a date range, Check all the X Tier boxes, Click: APPLY. A list of X-Tier events will be generated. There you will see X-Tier events that are not doubles events that are generating ratings.

http://www.pdga.com/tour/search