Old 05-05-2012, 11:15 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Missing Easy Putts Messes Up Mental Game

So, I was playing a round a my local course today and I started off pretty well. Birdies on holes 1 and 2. On hole three I land my drive a little under 10 feet to the basket. I was positive I was about to be 3 under and 3 holes. I putt, it goes a little left and it basically hits like 2 chains and falls away from the basket. I had a par but knew I should have birdied. The next hole I threw a terrible drive, terrible approach, another terrible approach and then I putt it in. Also, i played decent the rest of the round.

I know one bad hole isn't a big deal but I seem to have the problem of having a bad hole after missing a putt like explained. Does anyone else have a mental game problem like this and is their anyway to really get over it?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2012, 11:22 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

same thing happened to me today. started on hole one, left the drive low and it went into the trees. Had an awful out, approached from about 100-120 feet out got it close. Thought i could still save par (470ft Par 4) but i missed the 15 footer WAY left. Then bogeyed the next hole, missing a putt less than the last hole. I played the rest of the round with 3 birdies and 2 more bogeys (tieing my 2nd best round at the course with a 55) but i felt like i played awful because the first two holes were in the back of my mind the whole round.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 470
Niced 33 Times in 4 Posts

I just say 'oops', and that's it.

I first did this at a tournament; I missed a 10' early and thought 'this is NOT going to influence my round'. And it really helped. Treat it like an aberration, a freak occurrence.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 45.1
Courses Played: 7
Niced 33 Times in 25 Posts

No problem, I just resign myself to the fact that I'm going to totally blow a hole somewhere in the round.

Seriously though, I've learned not to take any shot for granted. I've missed too many easy putts by doing that. And when I futz an easy one, I try to laugh it off. It ain't worth beating myself up over. It's just a game.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

no. nobody does that but you
Old 05-05-2012, 11:53 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have found that mental toughness is an element to the game of disc golf. You need to be able to have the correct grip, footwork and form to throw effectively. However you also have to be aware that over-thinking shots can hurt you as well.

This is what has worked for me; if a putt is within your comfort zone, don't even take the time to think about the shot just shoot it. Go by muscle memory, it seems to work a lot better. A lot of times I will just pick up the disc I shot and immediately throw it in, just an easy flick of the wrist. Obviously if it's not in the comfort zone than take a little bit of time to line up your shot.

As far as getting out of a mental funk, just don't even think about it. Negativity is like a disease that will corrupt your mind. Do not let bad shots bother you, don't even think "wow that was a bad shot" just think of how you are going to get from there to the basket. Stay positive, it's an activity for fun after all.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:33 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 60
Niced 10 Times in 10 Posts

Maybe it's because I only play in one or two casual tournaments a year, but I approach the round differently. Basically, if I hit a long putt I don't expect or play a hole better than I've ever played it before, I'm happy. I'll even take one solid drive, mid-range, or long putt as a positive even if I completely bomb the rest of the round. Today I missed a relatively easy birdie putt on 7 that would have put me at -7. I barely missed long birdie putts on 8 and 9 too (missed by a foot and clanged off the top). Rather than dwell on that, I'll continue to do backflips that I got six straight birdies (even if it was a pitch and putt). I can't say that my mental game is strong, but my attitude is. That's a good start.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:44 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 41
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-mart View Post
Maybe it's because I only play in one or two casual tournaments a year, but I approach the round differently. Basically, if I hit a long putt I don't expect or play a hole better than I've ever played it before, I'm happy. I'll even take one solid drive, mid-range, or long putt as a positive even if I completely bomb the rest of the round. Today I missed a relatively easy birdie putt on 7 that would have put me at -7. I barely missed long birdie putts on 8 and 9 too (missed by a foot and clanged off the top). Rather than dwell on that, I'll continue to do backflips that I got six straight birdies (even if it was a pitch and putt). I can't say that my mental game is strong, but my attitude is. That's a good start.
Ironically, my birdie putt on #7 was one of the only high points of an otherwise bomb-tastic round today.

I should definitely take a page from your book.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:47 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 1
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthunderchicken View Post
No problem, I just resign myself to the fact that I'm going to totally blow a hole somewhere in the round.
This^
Don't over analyze one missed putt, there's plenty more to come.
I missed an easy 25' putt in glow dubs the other night that would have won $50, **** happens

Old 05-06-2012, 09:31 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 96
Niced 38 Times in 31 Posts

Read this.