Old 02-13-2017, 12:06 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 126
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 47 Times in 28 Posts

3x depends a lot of color and weight and who's looking. They aren't in general high demand, but you could get a couple dollars profit. #discgolfrich
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 04-08-2017, 11:31 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 68
Niced 250 Times in 118 Posts

There is way too much to read though in this thread. This is the one mold I have been interested in trying, but there appears to be some consistency issues. Can someone give me a brief overview or what this mold is supposed to fly like and how the different plastics vary?
Old 04-09-2017, 01:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 737 Times in 576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusch_bag View Post
There is way too much to read though in this thread. This is the one mold I have been interested in trying, but there appears to be some consistency issues. Can someone give me a brief overview or what this mold is supposed to fly like and how the different plastics vary?
OK. I'm no Thunderbird expert. However, this mold has been catching my attention lately and I'm liking it a lot. I've thrown a G* and 2 champion Thunderbirds.

The G* was stable with a slight bit of high speed turn on hard rips. I won't call it flippy by any means, but it turned. Nice predictable fade at the end of flight. Surprisingly long. Longer than I was expecting easily. For a speed 9 it has a lot of distance. Predictable flight. It won't do anything erratic and can handle slight winds nicely. I'd almost liken this disc to a bit slower Starfire with better glide. I found myself reaching for the Thunderbird on holes where I don't quite need max distance, but accuracy is a must.

The champion Thunderbird is noticeably more stable than the G*. I won't call it a pig, but it doesn't have the high speed turn that the G* does. It'll still hold a good straight line and glide well though.

For me the G* was longer and glided better. Both were very good discs. Accurate, easy to control and surprisingly long. I guess the Thunderbird is similar to the Viking, but maybe a hair more stable and with better glide. A longer, slightly faster Eagle with better glide would be a good comparison too.

Old 04-09-2017, 02:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 44
Niced 667 Times in 389 Posts

Quote:
Hmm, I'd say it's supposed to fly like a faster Teebird. Plastic stabilities are unusual in this mold and go roughly thus (from most overstable to least):

DX
Star
Pro
Champ
GStar

I've only thrown the first run of DX (very stiff, grippy, and flat to puddle-topped) which starts very overstable and cycles slowly (for DX). The new run of DX coming out now is supposed to be softer; I don't know if it's any less overstable.

The Star and Pro I've thrown started out nearly identically and the pro took pretty long to wear in. I haven't thrown MF or Glow Champ, and I can't remember exactly where those sit on the spectrum, but I don't think they're quite as overstable as Star. Hopefully this is helpful for you!

Old 04-09-2017, 02:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 44
Niced 667 Times in 389 Posts

I'd also agree with Twmccoy's assessment of GStar and Champ. GStar Thunderbirds (and DX's lighter than 160) are they only Thunderbirds I've thrown with a little turn out of the box. The biggest difference between Champ and Star is the fade. Stars will start fading earlier and harder whereas champs glide a little further and fade more softly.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:01 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,270 Times in 1,669 Posts

Quote:
I have Thunderbirds in GStar, Champion, Star, and DX.

As others have said, the Star is extremely overstable. It could be a glide-y Firebird. The DX is also overstable, but mine is not as OS as the Star. The Star ThBird is consistent for me, albeit consistently overstable.

Others will disagree, but my GStar ThBird is what turned me off to GStar. It is not as overstable as the other plastics, but my GStar ThBird was very inconsistent in its flights. That's when I got a Champion Thunderbird.

My McBeth 3x Champion Thunderbird is overstable, but not nearly as much as the Star ThBird, and it has good glide. Most of all, it's consistent and reliable.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:40 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 101 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheshilton View Post
Hmm, I'd say it's supposed to fly like a faster Teebird. Plastic stabilities are unusual in this mold and go roughly thus (from most overstable to least):

DX
Star
Pro
Champ
GStar

I've only thrown the first run of DX (very stiff, grippy, and flat to puddle-topped) which starts very overstable and cycles slowly (for DX). The new run of DX coming out now is supposed to be softer; I don't know if it's any less overstable.

The Star and Pro I've thrown started out nearly identically and the pro took pretty long to wear in. I haven't thrown MF or Glow Champ, and I can't remember exactly where those sit on the spectrum, but I don't think they're quite as overstable as Star. Hopefully this is helpful for you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I have Thunderbirds in GStar, Champion, Star, and DX.

As others have said, the Star is extremely overstable. It could be a glide-y Firebird. The DX is also overstable, but mine is not as OS as the Star. The Star ThBird is consistent for me, albeit consistently overstable.

Others will disagree, but my GStar ThBird is what turned me off to GStar. It is not as overstable as the other plastics, but my GStar ThBird was very inconsistent in its flights. That's when I got a Champion Thunderbird.

My McBeth 3x Champion Thunderbird is overstable, but not nearly as much as the Star ThBird, and it has good glide. Most of all, it's consistent and reliable.
I can echo these comments as well. One thing to elaborate on - my DX Thunderbirds are the earlier runs and they are money! They beat in slowly and become lasers, only losing a touch of fade. They do start out more OS than the champs, but will work in become less stable than a champ. Very good discs, very straight with dependable fade and decent skip. This is one of the few molds in my bag that Id have a really hard time replacing.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:02 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 68
Niced 250 Times in 118 Posts

Thanks guys. Appreciate the input.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:50 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 2
Niced 24 Times in 19 Posts

I only busted out my glow champ thundy on one hole today (I disc down a good bit so it is usually over the range or isn't the line I want) but MAN if that wasn't my best ace run of 4 or 5 I had today. RHBH A good thundy holds a wide-right hyzer (what the hole called for) all the way to the end of the flight.

Such a great disc for when you wanna throw well-placed lines. I definitely enjoy ripping hard on teebirds Firebirds and valks but the thundy is just so comfortable (read: controllable) for power.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 737 Times in 576 Posts

How far are all you guys throwing Thunderbirds? I'm probably doing about 400' with the champ. A hair further with the G*.

I'd say the disc is about 30' shy of all my longest drivers.

Nice, straight flights. Not a ridiculous amount of S curve or sharp late fade.