Old 08-24-2017, 11:46 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 12 Times in 12 Posts
Default Collectible Discs?

Not sure if this will be a popular opinion, while I have a marketplace thread am I the only person who thinks auctions and the prices discs are fetching are crazy? Yeah I know people aren't forced to pay, but I just for the life of me I can't understand how people spend 10x what a new premium plastic Destroyer costs to get a "good run". I can understand completely out of productions molds, natural beauties, or signed discs getting a few extra dollars but most of the "collectible" market seems like a sham. One of the first drivers I had 10 years ago was a factory second tye dye 11x Teebird, lost it and did just as well with other Teebirds, now people pay a fortune for what I used to carry in a grocery bag at one point. Also does it bother anyone that people seem to just run to the internet everytime they buy or find a disc, have no clue and ask "is this worth anything", with 90 percent of the time people having to explain, no it's a used disc worth about 10 bucks tops. Like I said I don't mean to offend, just wondering if other people have grown frustrated with this. Could you see something like comic books in the 90's where the prices will crash in a bubble burst or will the numbers go even higher?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2017, 02:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 15
Niced 40 Times in 32 Posts

The reason for this (and why most of the collectable market belongs to Innova) is great runs of discs amid a bunch of runs of "junk" or old plastic. Teebirds/Destroyers/Aviars etc etc. I put junk in quotations because I feel like once the internet says X run of X disc is AMAZING the rest is perceived as "bad" or undesirable. I've had the opportunity to throw a lot of old plastic. CE, KC Pro, 10x stuff, Ching stuff etc, and to be fair, Innova did (and still does to a point) have a problem with getting consistent runs of stuff out the door, but seem to have REALLY got it together over the past 2 years or so. I have a brand new S/DS Destroyer (well it was before this) and bought a brand new Mcbeth Destroyer on a whim because it was pretty. The plastic is a bit different, but flight wise, they are nearly identical-parting line height included. (Remember, people want S/DS for the pop top and stability) The Sexton glow Firebird I just bought looks identical to an 11x I have. Flies the same as a fresh 11x as well. The stock run 12x Champ Teebird I have flies just as nice as any other Teebird I have thrown. More of the same with my G-Star/Star Leopards. It all boils down to what people are willing to pay and what they want to collect, and I have no problem with that. Sure, some of the stuff is really pretty, but that alone doesn't make a single disc worth $70+ to me. For $70+ it better make me a sandwich and give me an uplifting speech after I throw it poorly. Because make no mistake, you'll throw that extremely high priced disc just as poorly as anything else in your bag from time to time.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by plastic cannon; 08-25-2017 at 02:11 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 35.4
Courses Played: 232
Niced 766 Times in 363 Posts

I buy them and then I throw them. I would never pay above retail. With the nearly infinite molds available, I will not be convinced the "magic" of a certain collectable disc cannot be found in another mold, out of the box. Just my take.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-25-2017, 10:36 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 98
Niced 181 Times in 99 Posts

Ya, it annoying, especially if you have friends who carry these expensive "irreplaceable" discs and they happen to put one of them in the woods. I laugh internally, but it's the end of the world to them and the round cant continue until we spend an hour finding the dog gone thing. Having said that, I totally get having a disc that you just cannot lose, but the ones I have like that I've beat to perfection because I'm too cheap to buy ones that are already "perfect".
Old 08-25-2017, 12:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 125
Niced 263 Times in 152 Posts

I carry an old run Ontario Pro Rhyno in my bag. Are there other discs that do the same thing and have the same feel in the hand? Possibly, but I've never held one. That said, when I lose it and my backups, I'll try to find something that does.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:33 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 10
Niced 12 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by art_vandelay View Post
Ya, it annoying, especially if you have friends who carry these expensive "irreplaceable" discs and they happen to put one of them in the woods. I laugh internally, but it's the end of the world to them and the round cant continue until we spend an hour finding the dog gone thing. Having said that, I totally get having a disc that you just cannot lose, but the ones I have like that I've beat to perfection because I'm too cheap to buy ones that are already "perfect".
Yeah a buddy of mine that used to run the local club bought a CE Leopard, threw it on a fall day in the south and the thing cracked in half when it hit a tree.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 88
Niced 381 Times in 238 Posts

It always has amazed me when normal golfers think they are so consistent and their games are so developed that they can only mix/max their results with 2nd run domey yellow star 2 line AJ destroyers, or whatever. (Hint: it's the archer, not the arrow) I'm all for buying a stack of discs from the shelf if you like them, but going out of your way 7 years after they sold out in retailers to find that magic disc is definitely not something you'll see me doing. I learned my lesson years ago when I threw circle stamp 11x KC pro teebirds (first champion runs), found them in a used bin. Scoured the internet to find more, but hated the cost of something that didn't fly all that different from the new ones on the shelf. Ended up selling them and moving on.

If I find cool runs of discs that I like throwing that are still available on shelves, I'll buy a bunch (see: buying 10 2R Pinn Outlaws a few weeks ago, or 6 HL Star Terns last year) but not paying over retail for any of it. I also can't be mad if people have a lot of expendable income and that's where they like to use it or what they want to collect.

Last edited by VictorB; 08-25-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:59 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 98
Niced 181 Times in 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disctildeath View Post
Yeah a buddy of mine that used to run the local club bought a CE Leopard, threw it on a fall day in the south and the thing cracked in half when it hit a tree.
Funny and sad at the same time. Mostly funny though if you don't care about rare discs like me.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:06 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 133
Niced 484 Times in 249 Posts

I've heard that true CE plastic is aging and will start losing it's flexibility.

It won't last forever folks...even if stored and cared for well...

Old 08-25-2017, 03:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 125
Niced 263 Times in 152 Posts

CE plastic is at least 13 years old at this point. It WILL start failing at higher rates...