Old 01-24-2019, 06:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 100
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 191 Times in 107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future_Primitive View Post
Thank you! May hit you up as it gets closer to see if there is any possible conflicts with leagues or tournaments. Nice link to the PFDS webpage on the course links, will monitor that as well. Happy to get a chance to play Deer Lakes again after doing a quick 18 holes a few years back.
Honestly, I would not use the website.

It’s outdated. If you want the best information, use Facebook and find the PFD Facebook page, and then the Group Pittsburgh Disc Golf Community.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2019, 03:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 32.7
Courses Played: 351
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 56 Times in 34 Posts

Deer Lakes, Moraine, and Knob Hill are fantastic courses. I like Deer Lakes the best but expect some mud in places depending on the time of the year and/or recent rain.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-26-2019, 10:12 AM
Par Member

Niced 80 Times in 45 Posts

One of these years I want in!

Last edited by Nick Pacific; 01-26-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 166
Niced 537 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimb View Post
No unique answers here. But I have played several courses around The Burg.

Moraine, Deer Lakes, and Knob Hill are no brainers. They are all excellent, with Moraine being my personal favorite course.

Linbrook may only be 9, but it’s probably my #1 or #2 nine. I would definitely recommend it. I feel that the hole quality is up there with the big three.

As others have said, too... Schenley is a very different (simpler/shorter/easier?) course then the others. But it is an excellent change of pace.

I haven’t played North Boundary yet, but it’s definitely in my near future plans. Hopefully it lives up to the hype.

Seems like DGCR pretty much agrees thus far.

I also enjoyed the nine at Phillips Park. Not the same kind of course as the others, but another fun change of pace that’s close to Schenley and closer to downtown if that interests you at all.
I agree with everything. Phillips was surprisingly enjoyable for me. Moraine and Deer Lakes are definitely the "can't miss" courses.

Quote:
Thanks all for the replies and suggestions. Leaning towards adding Linbrook DGC and Schenley Park as our other two courses. Sounds like Schenley would be a nice change of pace with some history and scenery as well. And playing Linbrook twice from different tees will make for a nice addition.

Thursday: Moraine (morning rd), lunch break, Linbrook (afternoon rd)
Friday: Deer Lakes (morning rd), lunch break, Schenley Park (afternoon rd)
Saturday: Knob Hill (morning rd)
Looks fun. Be advised that Linbrook may take as much time and energy as Schenley or even Knob Hill. Yes it's a 9-hole, but it gets that good rating by being long, technical, and physically demanding. Thursday and Friday will both be exhausting.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:21 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 55
Niced 53 Times in 22 Posts
Default North Boundary

Having played Moraine, Deer Lakes, Knob Hill, and North Boundary, I would rank them in the following order of must play.

1. Deer Lakes
2. Moraine
3. North Boundary

4. Knob Hill

Even though North Boundary is still quite rough, it should be better by June and is a much more epic course than Knob Hill which I found to be a rather large step below Deer Lakes, Moraine, and North Boundary.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:53 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 117
Niced 419 Times in 180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnick View Post
Having played Moraine, Deer Lakes, Knob Hill, and North Boundary, I would rank them in the following order of must play.

1. Deer Lakes
2. Moraine
3. North Boundary

4. Knob Hill

Even though North Boundary is still quite rough, it should be better by June and is a much more epic course than Knob Hill which I found to be a rather large step below Deer Lakes, Moraine, and North Boundary.
Interesting, guess the new-ness of North Boundary made my shy away from it originally. Looks like I may need to reconsider that one. Good thing I got a 5 month jump on it so I can flip flop a few times before committing to final schedule. Thanks for the info and will definitely look into North Boundary.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
I agree with everything. Phillips was surprisingly enjoyable for me. Moraine and Deer Lakes are definitely the "can't miss" courses.

Looks fun. Be advised that Linbrook may take as much time and energy as Schenley or even Knob Hill. Yes it's a 9-hole, but it gets that good rating by being long, technical, and physically demanding. Thursday and Friday will both be exhausting.
Thanks for this info, always a tough call on how much quality DG to crunch into a tight schedule. Definitely want to enjoy ourselves and play some top notch DG, but also need to realize we aren't that young anymore.

Wonder if we might be better off doing Moraine/Phillips (day 1), then Deer Lakes/Schenley (day 2) and either Knob Hill or North Boundary last (day 3). Looks like we will need to monitor the weather and see how hot it is going to get and adjust accordingly.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 166
Niced 537 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for this info, always a tough call on how much quality DG to crunch into a tight schedule. Definitely want to enjoy ourselves and play some top notch DG, but also need to realize we aren't that young anymore.

Wonder if we might be better off doing Moraine/Phillips (day 1), then Deer Lakes/Schenley (day 2) and either Knob Hill or North Boundary last (day 3). Looks like we will need to monitor the weather and see how hot it is going to get and adjust accordingly.
Phillips isn't quite nice enough to bump Linbrook. It was probably enjoyable mainly because I was expecting so little. It's a beautiful little park with views of downtown Pittsburgh, with fun but ordinary golf. For Linbrook, I'd say check in with locals (plenty in Pittsburgh, and you could message Chris Deitzel) or hopefully the DGCR course status. It can get rough if not mowed, so that could make your decision easy as it would be detrimental to the experience. New Boundary will be convenient location wise, at least from Moraine.

You really can't go wrong with Pittsburgh disc golf.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Pacific View Post
One of these years I want in!
One of these years maybe you will stay healthy all season so you can tag along.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:33 AM
Par Member

Niced 80 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
One of these years maybe you will stay healthy all season so you can tag along.
Always manage to bounce back each time 😁

I am excited for Timber Ridge already