Old 01-21-2019, 06:29 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 45
Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default Self caught disc

Had this come up today during a practice round and as a TD I want to make sure I get the correct ruling if it happens during an event.

Player makes an intentional throw. Hits a small tree branch, flies another 200’ forward and up into a huge headwind. While in the air the disc gets blown all the back to land 5’ in front of the tee box. In this case it was simply a hilarious disc golf fail.

But in an event, if the player steps forward and catches the disc, is it treated like intentional interference, a non-throw ( like tossing it up and catching it - we all do it while waiting for a fairway to clear) or something else? Pretty sure I know the ruling,but again I want to get second opinions should it ever happen.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2019, 06:57 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 544 Times in 463 Posts

It is treated as the ruling as if one were playing catch with another player before a throw except just a single player gets the penalty for that shot. At least that is how I would treat the throw.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:09 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 31
Niced 258 Times in 101 Posts

810 Interference

E) A player who intentionally interferes with a disc in any of the following ways receives two penalty throws:
Altering the course of a thrown disc (other than to prevent injury); or,
Moving or obscuring a thrown disc or marker disc (other than in the process of identification, retrieval, marking, or as allowed by 810.H).

F) If a player or their equipment interferes with their own throw, the player is assessed one penalty throw. The disc is played where it first comes to rest. See 810.E for intentional interference.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:39 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 14
Niced 81 Times in 40 Posts

As zenbot said 810 interference, not a practice throw as from what you said it was a competitive attempt to change the lie. And since the hypothetical player stepped off the tee and caught it, I'd say intentional interference. So 810.E.1 player gets 2 penalty throws.

From 810.D, the disc is given a position at the point of contact. And if I read it right, the player then gets to choose whether to play from that position (and count the throw) or to "abandon the throw without penalty"

I'm not sure whether "abandon the throw without penalty" means that the player gets to not count the actual throw AND not get a penalty throw (for abandonment, interference penalty still stands of course). Or whether the player counts the throw that is abandoned but not the abandonment penalty.

Quote:
D. A thrown disc whose course was intentionally altered is given a position at the point of contact, as agreed on by the group. The thrower may choose to play from the resulting lie, or to abandon the throw without penalty.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2019, 07:41 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
As zenbot said 810 interference, not a practice throw as from what you said it was a competitive attempt to change the lie. And since the hypothetical player stepped off the tee and caught it, I'd say intentional interference. So 810.E.1 player gets 2 penalty throws.

From 810.D, the disc is given a position at the point of contact. And if I read it right, the player then gets to choose whether to play from that position (and count the throw) or to "abandon the throw without penalty"

I'm not sure whether "abandon the throw without penalty" means that the player gets to not count the actual throw AND not get a penalty throw (for abandonment, interference penalty still stands of course). Or whether the player counts the throw that is abandoned but not the abandonment penalty.

The non-penalty in D is meant for a player who has had their disc flight altered by another player.

Last edited by zenbot; 01-21-2019 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:50 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
The non-penalty in D is meant for a player who has had their disc flight altered by another player.
I'm not sure if it is.

And I think 810.F is for non-intentional interference with one's own disc, as it references 810.E at the end, as if to say "for intentional self-interference use 810.E"

Old 01-21-2019, 07:58 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
I'm not sure if it is.
For clarity I meant that a player who intentionally interferes doesn't get off scott free.

Quote:
And I think 810.F is for non-intentional interference with one's own disc, as it references 810.E at the end, as if to say "for intentional self-interference use 810.E"

That is my understanding as well. I just happened to copypasta both passages.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:17 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 45
Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts

Intentional interference is the same call that I would have made. Just wanted the sounding board. Thanks guys.

And for what it’s worth I laughed so hard I started crying when this happened...because it wasn’t happening to me.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:11 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoloseth View Post
And for what it’s worth I laughed so hard I started crying when this happened...because it wasn’t happening to me.
Being blown directly back 200', that's pretty awesome. Can the thrower technically claim a 400' throw, you know there and back?

Old 01-22-2019, 05:24 AM

Niced 8 Times in 5 Posts

If my disc blows back 200’ I’d never want to touch that disc again