Old 03-28-2017, 10:17 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 126 Times in 93 Posts
Default Gstar plastic for beginner.

This might belong in the newbie section.

As im getting into the game consistently throwing close to 250' with my FD's (mostly play wooded holes), i've read several times that few think G* is an good plastic for drivers.

I have one mid and one FD in G* and i love the feeling and the resistance to hard hits on trees. What other then a slightly more understable (usually favours me as i cant throw very fast) disc should i expect compared to a harder plastic like the champion?

Korver's ITB made me rethink the decision to not buy G* on faster discs and now i feel like it might even be a better plastic for me during my first year of discgolfing.

Most of you would probably just recommend me to buy what feels best for me but i don't have to many chances to try discs in different plastics and still study...
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2017, 10:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 43
Niced 2,004 Times in 892 Posts

G* is fantastic plastic for all skill levels, please don't listen to the noise on DGCR. Most drivers in GStar fly like slightly seasoned versions of their mold and are fantastic, especially the GFD and also glide really well. I've used GStar in Rhyno, Mako3, FD, Leo3, Teebird3, Roadrunner, Sidewinder, Valkyrie, and Wraith and aside from a freak OS flat Valkyrie, they all flew fantastic and held up well and in most cases flew better than their Star/Champion counterparts.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-28-2017, 11:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 19
Niced 858 Times in 430 Posts

I agree with Streets. It ultimately comes down to how you like the feel of the plastic. If you like Gstar, then throw it.

In my experience with Wraiths, Teebirds, and Valkyries in Gstar, they really flew closer to their flight numbers in Gstar than they do in Champ/Star when fresh. And they seem to have a bit more glide also...closer to DX...which is not a bad thing at all.

Summation: Throw Gstar if you like Gstar.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:11 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 41 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
a freak OS flat Valkyrie
Also have one of these.

So... Be careful with Valkyries.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:17 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,150 Times in 555 Posts

I had one of those Valks too!

G* is a nice plastic. It has different characteristics, but that is also an advantage. Most of my speed 5 - 9 discs are G*. Love G* Teebirds and Leopards!

Old 03-28-2017, 11:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Yeah, I think the first run of GStar Valks were flat, beefy monsters but they seem to have evened out in subsequent runs.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 18
Niced 343 Times in 209 Posts

Yes, as the others have said, Gstar definitely has its place. I think it just got hated on when it came out because people said it was going to "melt" and not have the durability of Star (which is true, you just have to take that into account). It is all about preference. I love the could of molds I have in Gstar (Firebird and Rhyno) and would consider it for others as well.

And as to the thread title, no... FOR EVERYONE (that likes it of course)

Old 03-28-2017, 01:52 PM
I Don't Actually Disc Golf

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,204 Times in 957 Posts

If you like GStar, by all means throw it. They make different plastics because people like different plastics. Some like soft putters, others like firm putters. Some like GStar, some don't. I'm not a GStar fan, but that just means you won't be competing with me to buy GStar discs. So whatever you like, and whatever works for you, is what's best for you.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:54 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 4
Niced 126 Times in 93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
G* is fantastic plastic for all skill levels, please don't listen to the noise on DGCR. Most drivers in GStar fly like slightly seasoned versions of their mold and are fantastic, especially the GFD and also glide really well. I've used GStar in Rhyno, Mako3, FD, Leo3, Teebird3, Roadrunner, Sidewinder, Valkyrie, and Wraith and aside from a freak OS flat Valkyrie, they all flew fantastic and held up well and in most cases flew better than their Star/Champion counterparts.
Sounds great! I love the feel of G* but also haven't thrown much star discs. How does the G* feel in warmer weather?

Now during winter I'm sure it's the plastic I would go for. Since the warm part of summer here in Sweden is about 2 months I think it'll simply be the plastic for me.

I guess you could look at it as a already worn in star economically, won't last quite as long but flies like a worn in one out of the box.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenja View Post
Sounds great! I love the feel of G* but also haven't thrown much star discs. How does the G* feel in warmer weather?

Now during winter I'm sure it's the plastic I would go for. Since the warm part of summer here in Sweden is about 2 months I think it'll simply be the plastic for me.

I guess you could look at it as a already worn in star economically, won't last quite as long but flies like a worn in one out of the box.
I think it feels fine in warmer weather and I live in SC, so we get some pretty good heat in the summer and I've never once felt that it was "too floppy" like some on here would have you believe.

I currently switch between two champ Teebirds and a CFD/GFD for all fairway driver shots. I really like the CFD/GFD combo. If I switched out my Champ Valks, I would use a Gstar Sidewinder and Star Sidewinder.