Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 04-29-2020, 11:20 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,336 Times in 1,202 Posts

I have had someone pick up my drive before, but it was over 20 years ago. It happens, but I don't think it happens a lot.

I was harassed by a guy last summer who asked me if I found his disc. I said "no" because I didn't; I'm actually lucky if I find my own disc and very rarely find random lost discs while I'm playing. He stared at me and gave me the "Really? I'm sure I left it on the hole you just played" routine and I offered to go help him look for it; he said no but the whole time he's looking at my bag. He goes to look for the disc and I go on with my day, a few holes later he's back going "Are you sure you didn't find my disc?" Like I'm just suddenly going to remember a disc I found. I told him to search my bag if he wanted to, he said no and I went about my day. He was in the parking lot staring at me when I left; dude was 100% convinced that I stole his disc.

Whatever he lost was some Dynamic/Lat 64 thing, it couldn't have been THAT special.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 04-29-2020, 11:35 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 12
Niced 1,272 Times in 663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I have had someone pick up my drive before, but it was over 20 years ago. It happens, but I don't think it happens a lot.

I was harassed by a guy last summer who asked me if I found his disc. I said "no" because I didn't; I'm actually lucky if I find my own disc and very rarely find random lost discs while I'm playing. He stared at me and gave me the "Really? I'm sure I left it on the hole you just played" routine and I offered to go help him look for it; he said no but the whole time he's looking at my bag. He goes to look for the disc and I go on with my day, a few holes later he's back going "Are you sure you didn't find my disc?" Like I'm just suddenly going to remember a disc I found. I told him to search my bag if he wanted to, he said no and I went about my day. He was in the parking lot staring at me when I left; dude was 100% convinced that I stole his disc.

Whatever he lost was some Dynamic/Lat 64 thing, it couldn't have been THAT special.
You're likely a pretty suspicious looking dude.

Based on your avatar, did you ask if he was threatening you?

Old 04-29-2020, 11:57 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 145
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,153 Times in 487 Posts

I've twice had someone pick up and walk off with my tee shot on 18 Black at Diamond X. It's a huge downhill bomb over the main trail that hikers use to access the park. After throwing, you have to back-track along a cliff and scramble down boulders to get to the fairway; it takes a while.

I don't think disc golfers took my discs. They were both close enough to the trail that a casual hiker could have seen them, not realized they were "in play," and scooped them up.
Old 04-29-2020, 12:49 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 136
Niced 3,336 Times in 1,202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discerdoo View Post
You're likely a pretty suspicious looking dude.

Based on your avatar, did you ask if he was threatening you?

Old 04-29-2020, 01:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 180
Niced 196 Times in 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-mart View Post
I'm not quite following your logic here. If you're playing a public park the day after your disc goes missing and you cross paths with someone, you can't just assume that they're the one who stole your disc. It's a public park. Even with snow I doubt this guy was the only person to walk through there that day.

Unless there's more to the story. You guys made eye contact. Did he also stare at your disc bag? Was he carrying a stack of discs? Did he have a shirt that said "Stobaugh" on the back? Why did you find him especially suspicious other than his just existing in the park at that moment in the snow?
I assumed nothing. Thus, I did not say anything to him. The problem with the story is that I would have to tell more about the park for readers to realize that this park is rarely used outside of disc golf - and then, it is only used by four or five of us during the winter. It is a perfect square with roads on three sides and apartments on the fourth. Two of those three sides are residential houses with the last side having an elementary school. With the streets and sidewalks routinely plowed during the winter, and with no other activities in the park, there really is no reason for people to be cutting through, and thus, almost no one does.

During the non-winter months, a few more people cut through, a few more hang out in the rentalable shelters, and every once in a while someone lets their dogs off the leash (which is a no-no). Overall, everyone knows this is a disc golf course. And yet, in the winter, there are only four or five of us who play. That is the reason why that in every case of a lost disc this last winter, with the exception of mine in this story, has been recovered days or weeks later. Mine disappeared after an hour. In this particular case in this specific spot of the course, you have to go out of your way to want to cut through here.

My story really did not have moral beyond the convenient timing of this individual having taken the same path a few days in a row, creating a path in the snow, that makes no real sense of the way he was cutting through the park. He carries nothing with him and is not a player.

I also decided to say nothing because who knows what his state of mind is. I am not calling him thief, but I am pointing out the conscious decision to rip off the ribbon and leave it there (I put those ribbons on with multiple layers so they last all winter despite numerous tree hits). I am also pointing that this individual saw me playing the next day, I was almost in the exact same spot where the disc was left, and I had out some discs with the exact same ribbons visible. He chose to say nothing - not that he was under any obligation to say anything.

I am an introvert of a high degree, keeping my boldness to occasionally typing on the internet. I chose to say nothing because I am only 90% sure he was the one to pick it up, and being that much of an introvert, had decided was not even worth the effort of asking because that same introvertness assumes that he was already going to say that he had found nothing.

What is the point of the whole story, I was relating a time where I left a disc behind in the middle of the fairway in a spot that was not likely going to be discovered because it was almost dark in a part of the park rarely traveled by non-disc golfers. I expected it to be there when I came back for it a hour or two later. Instead, I found the ribbon that was evidence that someone else had found it, ripped the ribbon off, and left the ribbon where the disc was. The next day I saw something taking the exact path that had to be taken in order to find my disc. No one else takes this path. He chose to say nothing; I chose to say nothing. I purchased two more discs to replace that one. Not a theft story, but definitely a story of someone taking my disc from the middle of the fairway with no apparent attempt to get it back to the owner.
Old 04-29-2020, 01:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 45.2
Courses Played: 195
Niced 711 Times in 321 Posts

I think it only happened to me once. We let a couple of groups play through after we already threw. Can't say for sure one of them grabbed my disc but it was a blazing pink LE Venom and we never found it. It wasn't a disc I would have left behind without a thorough search.
Old 04-29-2020, 01:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 45.2
Courses Played: 195
Niced 711 Times in 321 Posts

One time we were throwing off the big hill (by Florida standards) on hole 16 at the Estero course and a little girl comes running onto the fairway and grabs my buddies disc and proceeds to run it all the way back up the hill to us at the tee while my buddy is pleading with her to stop. What's the official ruling on that? We let him retee lol.
Old 04-29-2020, 03:22 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 77
Niced 1,597 Times in 390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrembo View Post
One time we were throwing off the big hill (by Florida standards) on hole 16 at the Estero course and a little girl comes running onto the fairway and grabs my buddies disc and proceeds to run it all the way back up the hill to us at the tee while my buddy is pleading with her to stop. What's the official ruling on that? We let him retee lol.
810 Interference

A. If a thrown disc has moved after having come to rest on the in-bounds playing surface, it is replaced to where it first came to rest, as agreed on by the group. A thrown disc that has come to rest elsewhere does not need to be replaced, and its position is based on where it first came to rest, as agreed on by the group.

Old 04-29-2020, 03:48 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 570
Niced 195 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova P View Post
810 Interference

A. If a thrown disc has moved after having come to rest on the in-bounds playing surface, it is replaced to where it first came to rest, as agreed on by the group. A thrown disc that has come to rest elsewhere does not need to be replaced, and its position is based on where it first came to rest, as agreed on by the group.
Glad this is the ruling. I had a dog run off with my disc at hole 1 of a tournament years ago.

Old 04-29-2020, 03:50 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46.2
Courses Played: 390
Niced 1,996 Times in 976 Posts

Also good to know this rule:

Quote:
805.03 Lost Disc
D. If it is discovered prior to the completion of the tournament that a player's disc that had been declared lost has been removed or taken, then two throws are subtracted from the player's score for that hole.